Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #421
45:33

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Lol. Everyone go look at my first post in this thread, third post on page one.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #422
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 06:14 PM
XTC have more memorable melodies in one album than The Beatles had in their whole career.

The Velvet Underground and Nico is good. Not amazing. Couple of really great tracks (Heroin, The Black Angel's Death Song), couple of good songs (There She Goes Again, All Tomorrow's Parties) and a bit of garbage.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #423
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Elton John churned out a ton of fairly memorable melodies for a few years there too, and like him, I find myself seeing a bit of the savant about the Beatles' output. I mean, is hooks really all it's about? What are they there in service of?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:08 AM   #424
The Male

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
XTC have more memorable melodies in one album than The Beatles had in their whole career.
I don't think that's true at all, and you know I'm a big XTC fan.

Drums and Wires, Skylarking and Apple Venus Vol. 1 show their incredible range and are all essential listening, but Revolver exhibits that sort of range and catchiness in 35 minutes.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I don't think that's true at all, and you know I'm a big XTC fan.

Drums and Wires, Skylarking and Apple Venus Vol. 1 show their incredible range and are all essential listening, but Revolver exhibits that sort of range and catchiness in 35 minutes.
I think The Big Express is a good exhibition of XTC's range and melodic prowess, actually. I might just be weird because that's one of their critically slammed albums, but the amount of melodic prowess on that album is astounding.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:16 AM   #426
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
I think The Big Express is a good exhibition of XTC's range and melodic prowess, actually. I might just be weird because that's one of their critically slammed albums, but the amount of melodic prowess on that album is astounding.
I'll have to go back to that one. I've heard everything they ever released except for Wasp Star, typically multiple times, but the mid-period albums (Big Express and Mummer) need further exploration before I can comment on them.

At this moment, Skylarking is my favorite album by them for its remarkable thematic coherence and sparkling melodies, but I've been listening to the 1979-1982 records most often as of late.

The Dukes of Stratsophear were also amazing, albeit very indebted to The Beatles, as if Skylarking already wasn't.

Now.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #427
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I think having the Beatles as a favorite band is a pretty unpopular opinion in the context of a forum dedicated to "serious" music discussion. People who actually love the Beatles' music (instead of offering it chin-stroking appreciation) are treated by music aficionados like they should have matured by now. Like it's just a matter of time until natural selection wipes them out.

IT'S 2015 BRUH IF YOU WANT KIDS MUSIC THEY'RE OK BUT IF YOU WANT ADULT MUSIC I'VE GOT VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO RIGHT HERE CHECK IT OUT IT'S SO DEEP MAAAN
I wouldn't say this. Look at some of the Beatles arguments on RYM, and I'd say Beatles fans have the upper hand, responding to the "kids music they're ok" thing with "you philistines can't grasp the greatest music ever". Disliking the Beatles remains seen as a contrarian position most places, I'd say.

As somebody who just lacks an interest in the Beatles, I find these arguments are often tedious and based on ridiculous sweeping assumptions/condescension by both sides. But I will say easily the most frustrating music fans are those who need to find some way to make the Beatles the innovator of anything that ever happened in music. Beatles totally invented drone doom metal, guyz.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #428
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Disliking the Beatles remains seen as a contrarian position most places, I'd say.
I didn't say that. I said that having the Beatles as a favorite band is unusual or downright Philistine. It's more than OK to have a modest appreciation for the Beatles and what they accomplished, while accepting the occasional John Lennon song as masterful, but to actively listen to their albums? In 2015? Pshaw. We have Animal Collective now.

I think Cobbler's last post about the band is the prototypical "OK" post about the Beatles. Anything more than that and you're a raving fanboy that needs to listen to more music.

That being said, yes, people who outright hate the Beatles are typically seen as elitist and trying too hard to be edgy. That is true and very unfair. Discussing the Beatles on the internet is kind of a pain in the ass all around.

Now.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:28 AM   #429
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I didn't say that. I said that having the Beatles as a favorite band is unusual or downright Philistine. It's more than OK to have a modest appreciation for the Beatles and what they accomplished, while accepting the occasional John Lennon song as masterful, but to actively listen to their albums? In 2015? Pshaw.

I think Cobbler's last post about the band is the prototypical "OK" post about the Beatles. Anything more than that and you're a raving fanboy that needs to listen to more music.

That being said, yes, people who outright hate the Beatles are typically seen as elitist and trying too hard to be edgy. That is true and very unfair.
Ah right, sorry I misinterpreted you - but I do still think you're overstating it a bit. If anything you're more liable to being pigeonholed as such as if your favourite band is Pink Floyd or Led Zep. Then you're just some proghead or dad rocker who needs to broaden their horizons and fast.

(I admit that I can't imagine somebody actually sitting down to listen to the Beatles as anything other than a historical curio, but they're hardly alone there in my view and obviously many people rather enjoy doing just that. This perhaps reflects my own tendency to gravitate very strongly towards recent music.)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #430
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
If anything you're more liable to being pigeonholed as such as if your favourite band is Pink Floyd or Led Zep. Then you're just some proghead or dad rocker who needs to broaden their horizons and fast.
This is also true, absolutely. I think your lifestyle as a whole is more likely to be judged for liking those bands than the Beatles, who appeal to a broad enough demographic that there isn't a stereotypical Beatles fan like there is a Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Radiohead or Tool fan.

That being said, I think the reflexive response to someone telling you that The Beatles are their favorite band is to recommend them other bands. Because there's no way they've listened to anyone else. It's like having The Godfather as a favorite movie or The Great Gatsby as a favorite novel.

So the Beatles are my favorite band, even after hearing over 5,000 albums. What does that say about me?

Now.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #431
Vocal parasite

Well clearly you just didn't, like, listen to those albums, Travis.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-16-2015, 06:48 AM   #432
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This is a side issue but i'd be a bit leery of relegating stuff to curiosity status merely because it's old. I mean to say, for instance, that the Great Gatsby is not my favourite novel. But if I am honest, my favourite novel was probably written within at most a couple of decades of it.

On some days, not today, but some days, I'd be tempted to put Van Morrison's Astral Weeks as my favourite album. There are Beatles records newer than Astral Weeks.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #433
The Male

I will freely admit that there are certain periods/movements within certain mediums that largely do not appeal to me. 19th century Victorian literature does not appeal to me like 20th century American literature does. I'm not going to cast off an entire century of literature and won't attempt to persuade others to do the same, but I do adjust my own expectations. Similarly, any pop music before the 60s is typically of no interest to me, but if it works for you, I won't say you're living in the past.

Astral Weeks is top 50 all-time for me. Otherworldly stuff.

Now.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #434
The Male

Trying to gauge whether or not something is an unpopular opinion in B&C or not:

Is there anyone here that thinks Trout Mask Replica doesn't suck and, if so, can you explain why?

It's funny how much I like Captain Beefheart's music (Safe as Milk, Mirror Man, Clear Spot, Shiny Beast, all totally great records), but still hear Trout Mask Replica as only slightly more enjoyable than gravel caught in a garbage disposal.

Now.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:14 AM   #435
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Fair cop; I'm unlikely to 'get' popular music made before the 1960s, and I'm unlikely to 'get' much fiction written before the interwar era. It is what it is.

(being unable or unwilling to deal first-hand with certain older literature is not the same thing as having no interest in the past. I read a lot of history and it's the work of people who are temperamentally, by training and instinct able to deal with the primary sources I can't).