Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kid A is an album album. Talk of 'best song' on it is superfluous and quite beside the point, and will get you lined up against a wall come the revolution.

Kid A is an album album. Talk of 'best song' on it is superfluous and quite beside the point, and will get you lined up against a wall come the revolution.

Just to confirm this, my favorite on the album is In Limbo.

Nine posts, barely any agreement on what the best track is.

Last edited:
When I read Kieran's post I wanted to post something along the lines of: there are definitely a few stand-outs like... But then I'd named more than half of the album. So yeah, it's an amazing album.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Meh, call it whatever you like, I just don't enjoy listening to it. Maybe it is a "right place, right time" album that would have blown my mind if I had heard it when it first came out, but it just doesn't click with me.

I've been running OK Computer, Bends, and In Rainbows (which I like quite a bit) a lot this week, all of which I find to be significantly better listens than Kid A.

Meh, call it whatever you like, I just don't enjoy listening to it. Maybe it is a "right place, right time" album that would have blown my mind if I had heard it when it first came out, but it just doesn't click with me.

I've been running OK Computer, Bends, and In Rainbows (which I like quite a bit) a lot this week, all of which I find to be significantly better listens than Kid A.
You should give it at least a few tries. It's less accesible than the albums you mentioned but it's very rewarding once it clicks. It was for me anyway.

I don't know what you have and haven't listened to but the above is especially true if you're not into electronic music. For many people, myself included, Kid A was a gateway album to more experimental electronic music. Once I "got" Kid A, my musicals tastes widened quite a bit and I started enjoying more kinds of awesome music.

Last edited:
I don't revisit KID A all that often, but when i do, it's a pretty captivating 40 minutes or so.

I might actually prefer Amnesiac's Morning Bell over the Kid A version, which can be a little uncomfortable on the ear, but it's all worth it once Motion Picture Soundtrack kicks in.

Can't wait for their next album!

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Kieran is right about Kid A, for sure, a true album's album. A phenomenal listen from front to back. Also I'd say the two "best" songs are Everything in its Right Place and Idioteque, without a doubt, but that's not what this thread is about. And I do really love Kid A and Motion Picture Soundtrack that much, the former is in my Radiohead top five and the latter just outside.

You should give it at least a few tries. It's less accesible than the albums you mentioned but it's very rewarding once it clicks. It was for me anyway.

I don't know what you have and haven't listened to but the above is especially true if you're not into electronic music. For many people, myself included, Kid A was a gateway album to more experimental electronic music. Once I "got" Kid A, my musicals tastes widened quite a bit and I started enjoying more kinds of awesome music.

A million times this. Totally agree. Helped widen my tastes a lot as well.

Can't agree with Liam's stupid Pink Floyd comment. I've always thought that to be a bit of a lazy, entry-level comparison. Both bands are in my all-time top five and have so much to offer.

Another one - in 2015, The Beatles are only interesting as a historical curiosity to examine how pop music was made then.

I'll sort of roll with that (even if you didn't really mean it and were just having some fun). I totally accept their status as hugely influential groundbreakers, if only because somebody had to be there right then to break the ground. But the notion that their music is this amazing thing, song for song, that no other artist could ever hope to rival... meh. Not. so. much.

I'll sort of roll with that (even if you didn't really mean it and were just having some fun). I totally accept their status as hugely influential groundbreakers, if only because somebody had to be there right then to break the ground. But the notion that their music is this amazing thing, song for song, that no other artist could ever hope to rival... meh. Not. so. much.

I tend to agree with this as well.

Regarding Radiohead, I don't really buy the Pink Floyd connection, or to the extent that you can squint and see it a little that way, it only applies to a brief period of their career. The thing is, Radiohead in their time have been everyone from 'The New U2' to 'rehashing Aphex Twin (aka 'Simpsons Did It'). At a certain point you give up and decide they are their own thing.

Completely genuine, by the by.

I wouldn't go so far as to agree with Liam (I'd say they're also an interesting historical curiosity because you can still hear and see their influence in music being released today), but I'm probably more on his page than LM's. I absolutely respect and appreciate The Beatles but there are quite a few artists whose music I enjoy more. I'm not even sure they'd be in my top 10 artists.

Which reminds me of an issue I have with some music snobs. There are some that would probably kill me if I told them I like Outkast more than The Beatles.

I wouldn't go so far as to agree with Liam (I'd say they're also an interesting historical curiosity because you can still hear and see their influence in music being released today), but I'm probably more on his page than LM's. I absolutely respect and appreciate The Beatles but there are quite a few artists whose music I enjoy more. I'm not even sure they'd be in my top 10 artists.

Which reminds me of an issue I have with some music snobs. There are some that would probably kill me if I told them I like Outkast more than The Beatles.

BUT BRO, HOW CAN YOU SAY ANYTHING NEGATlVE ABOUT THE BEATLES? EVERYONE KNOWS THAT PIGGIES IS FAR MORE OF A PIECE OF HIGH ART THAN ELEVATORS (ME AND YOU) OR ANYTHING ON SPEAKERBOXXX, AND IF YOU DISAGREE THEN YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE BEATLES

Last edited:
"I think All My Friends is one of the best songs ever written"
"Yeah well you said Why Don't We Do It In The Road is only a 4.5 out of 5 so your clearly an idiot"

I absolutely cannot jump aboard this train of Beatles apathy. This dude does not abide. They're one of my top three favorite groups ever and I think their run from Revolver to the end(or, hell, Rubber Soul to the end) is a towering streak of work that has scarcely been matched. The sheer volume of classic melodies on these records is astonishing. Some bands go entire careers without coming up with more than.one or two or three melodies like that - if that - yet it sometimes feels like the Beatles crank out one after another on these records.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Last edited:
Can't agree with Liam's stupid Pink Floyd comment. I've always thought that to be a bit of a lazy, entry-level comparison. Both bands are in my all-time top five and have so much to offer.

I thought he was kidding. Sounds like the genesis of a dorm room argument.

I think having the Beatles as a favorite band is a pretty unpopular opinion in the context of a forum dedicated to "serious" music discussion. People who actually love the Beatles' music (instead of offering it chin-stroking appreciation) are treated by music aficionados like they should have matured by now. Like it's just a matter of time until natural selection wipes them out.

IT'S 2015 BRUH IF YOU WANT KIDS MUSIC THEY'RE OK BUT IF YOU WANT ADULT MUSIC I'VE GOT VELVET UNDERGROUND & NICO RIGHT HERE CHECK IT OUT IT'S SO DEEP MAAAN

Last edited:
On this whole Beatles thing (which I don't really have a dog in this fight despite what I said above), one good way of looking at it was something I saw on some blog or other recently (reviewing the new Tame Impala as it happens):

Namely, that In The Beginning, rock and roll was pop music. But as the sixties (and especially the seventies) wore on, the cultures diverged. A yawning chasm opened up. The Beatles, in this fable, were the last to successfully straddle the divide*. I can certainly respect that.

*until Tame Impala proved (allegedly) in 2015 that it doesn't matter, which I don't buy at all.

Last edited:
I absolutely cannot jump aboard this train of Beatles apathy. This dude does not abide. They're one of my top three favorite groups ever and I think their run from Revolver to the end(or, hell, Rubber Soul to the end) is a towering streak of work that has scarcely been matched. The sheer volume of classic melodies on these records is astonishing. Some bands go entire careers without coming up with more than.one or two or three melodies like that - if that - yet it sometimes feels like the Beatles crank out one after another on these records.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Agreed. The amount of great songs they wrote in a space of five years is just incredible. I struggle with lots of classic music from the 60's and 70's because of the dated production, but I don't have that problem wrt The Beatles. And that's because the songs are so good.

There are bands I have a more emotional connection with but that's more to do with when I discovered said bands. When I look at the quality of the discography, The Beatles are right up there as one of my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom