Underappreciated/Underdog Albums - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:17 AM
Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

I'm wondering what albums are important to you all despite lack of popularity or critical respect.

The one that stands out to me is Oasis' Heathen Chemistry. I was listening to an Oasis playlist today and was thinking about how much I love that particular album, even though it is probably their least appreciated and worst-reviewed effort. I discovered it during a time in which my music taste was in an embarrassing spell - just really awful when I think back at it. I saw Heathen Chemistry in a used bin and thought I might as well give it a listen based on how much I had liked the band in my early teens. The raw energy of the first three tracks and the psychedelia-tinged second half got me back into Britpop, eventually leading me to Kid A, an album that vastly expanded my musical horizons. I don't listen to Heathen Chemistry all that often today, but I still enjoy it greatly when I do.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:17 AM
I did enjoy Heathen Chemistry when it came out but it didn't leave a massive impression on me. What happens with Oasis for me is that when I'm in the mood I really like it but I can't sustain listening to their records for long before the repetition wears on me. I really liked Don't believe the truth when it came out but I don't listen to it anymore.

The album recently that has grown on me despite critical backlash is Turn Blue by The Black Keys. I ended up liking all the songs and to Jack White's chagrin it was way better than his solo efforts.

REM New Adventures in Hi-Fi. I remember the critical and sales backlash when it came out. If I'm correct, I remember Sheryl Crow receiving an award and lamenting the lack of interest for the album. I didn't like it at the time because it had that grunge sound that was so over-saturated so I didn't give it a chance. It's my most listened to REM album for the past few years.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Can I be the first to mention POP.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
45:33

Local Time: 12:17 AM
I've mentioned this album on many occasions, more often than not as a joke, but I do thoroughly enjoy Bryan Adams' Waking Up the Neighbours. I grew up on it and though I rarely, if ever, listen to it, I still know all the words. I find the whole thing to just be a simple album, one that you can really enjoy when you take it for what it is, a bombastic, earnest, heart-on-sleeve type album by an artist playing for the masses. A lot of fun tracks, like the first two, quite a few ballads that hit the mark and melodies that stick with you.

There's plenty of others, but another one I'll bring up by an artist with more critical respect is Massive Attack's Heligoland. I thought that was extremely underrated by critics and Massive Attack fans alike. Pray for Rain is probably my favourite track, it's moody as hell and has a great vocal from Tunde Adebimpe, and there's a few other highlights in the two Horace Andy tracks, Paradise Circus, Saturday Come Slow with Damon Albarn. Shattered I missed the last two chances to see them live here.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:17 AM

Really depends on the definition of popularity or critical success. I've never seen a bad word written about the Ducky Boys [i]three chords & the truth[/], and amongst their fan base it's probably their most popular. But it's hardly an international multi-platinum success. Hell, my all time favorite album (sinners & saints - the sky is falling) is woefully obscure. And The Beltones Cheap Trinkets is so, so good from start to finish but overlooked by way too many people, even those who legitimately have a claim on that particular brand of rock n roll punk rock (see the Hudson Falcons for even more consistent awesomeness that aside from a very small corner of a "scene" seem to be quite under appreciated). The joke about how most of my favorite albums and bands are largely unheard of by the majority of this site is not entirely without merit.

In terms of black sheep albums from massively popular bands, I like fucking Pablo Honey. I think Lucky Town gets a bad rap (bad example though, since it doesn't touch the generally accepted classic Springsteen albums in my opinion or popular opinion). Per song capita or what have you, there may actually be more about Distortion that I enjoy than 69 Love Songs. I'd rather listen to the oft-forgotten 2nd DKM album than the last 4 they put out. And do we need to discuss my apparently bizarre opinion when it comes to pre-Rubber Soul Beatles vs post?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Pablo Honey I agree is under-rated. It is not uniformly great but some very decent tracks on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored
And do we need to discuss my apparently bizarre opinion when it comes to pre-Rubber Soul Beatles vs post?
I think a few of the latter Beatles albums are vastly over-rated by the cognoscenti, possibly the early stuff is correspondingly under-rated.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

My Beatles opinions are probably similar to cobbler's Bryan Adams nostalgia, as they're largely informed by my childhood. I grew up on that stuff, and even though when I was 8 or 9 I categorized music in two groups: The Beatles and Everything Else, the non-Beatles I enjoyed in my youth were all the things the oldies station played that The Beatles were obviously influenced by and/or covered. And Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Carl Perkins et al outweighed the psychedelic later stuff (which I also loved, just not as much as A Hard Day's Night).
Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
Can I be the first to mention POP.

Fuck, I was gonna mention Pop. I'm gonna go with Too Fast For Love by Mötley Crüe, I just saw them last weekend and they played some cuts from TFFL. It's a great punky, hard rock album with some killer songs. I'll probably get shit for liking the Crüe, but they made three great albums (TFFL, Shout at the Devil, and Dr. Feelgood). They always get lumped in with the hair metal bands, which isn't fair to them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

I like pop. I just wasn't going to go there, since we have a whole seperate part of the forum dedicated to that band (and often that very album).
Old 08-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
45:33

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Let's make this a non-U2 thread, there's eight million threads on whether Pop's under or overrated in EYKiW.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Exactly.

I think I liked the Bouncing Souls Gold Album more than most Souls fans that aren't named u2popmofo (because he liked it more than I did).

I would also rank The Process of Belief over Suffer on the list of Bad Religion albums that are awesome (which is practically all of them*, and whilst they are punk rock royalty in the grand scheme of things, we run into that gray area of definition).

*even the ones on Atlantic! except for No Substance, because that one was a clunker /unpopular opinions no one here cares about
Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
World Party - Bang!

I think it went to #2 in the UK but did nothing in the US.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #13
The Male

Zooropa is the ultimate underdog album for me. It was released shortly after one of U2's most successful albums, to little fanfare, and delivered heightened ambition, a great set of thoughtful, paranoid Bono lyricism and a handful of U2 classics. The album has grown on a lot of people, but it generally stands in the shadow of a terrific album instead of being appreciated for its own unique strengths.

Outside of U2, I've got to say Tusk by Fleetwood Mac. It's esoteric and lacks big hits, but it's every bit as creative, expansive and inspired as any art rock music of the time, let alone their own work. It's a shame that it was greeted to a relatively muted response upon release, but it's not exactly surprising.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

And was more responsible for any interest I ever had in the band than any other single album...maybe that was the real reason it all went wrong.

we're still talking about U2 here.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:59 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
?...but it generally stands in the shadow of a terrific album instead of being appreciated for its own unique strengths.
Including by the band themselves who just tossed it in with the deluxe AB remaster reissue.