Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I thought maybe your phone auto corrected reggae as renegade, but I couldn't imagine you'd be silly enough to call sublime a reggae band.

Speaking of reggae, you know what albums never get much love? The bad brains albums after they found Jah. With good reason though, because those were terrible.

yes, zombie blows. I obviously wasn't talking about zombie, which is from their second album which I can't recall the title of.

No Need To Argue. Which I think is a superior album though it doesn't have the obvious singles.

Someone picked Zombie at karaoke last night (private room), and everyone was getting into it singing along. Surprised to see all the hate for it here.

This song in particular was a favorite of me and a couple people back in college who liked the band. It's long with a few different sections but really beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGdtukIxUk

You're right, it's called What I Got.

You mean the song that has the same melody as Lady Madonna in the verses?

I just heard the Cranberries' debut the other day...not on the level of their influences (Cocteau Twins, The Sundays), but really quite good. Dreams is wonderful. A perfect pop song.

Zombie blows.

Speaking of Cocteau Twins, I bought the remasters of Heaven or Las Vegas and Blue Bell Knoll.
I don't know if they're under-appreciated, but those are some damn fine albums.

No Need To Argue. Which I think is a superior album though it doesn't have the obvious singles.

That was one of those albums that literally everyone owned in the mid '90's. I thought The Cranberries were going to be huge after the first two albums. They were not. I think they released too many albums in too short of a time frame, but whatevs. The first two were a pretty big deal to me back then.

Depeche Mode - Ultra
For me, this is the last truly great Depeche Mode album. I love the vibe of the record, almost eerily electronic. It feels like the complete opposite of Songs of Faith and Devotion, which is my favorite DM record. "Barrel of a Gun" is one of the band's best singles and should be regarded as highly as "Personal Jesus" or "A Question of Time." "Home" makes nearly every other Martin Gore song pale in comparison. I love its slow and steady buildup that centers on Gore's performance, and ends with that fantastic guitar riff. "Useless" is another song that deserves more love than it gets, containing such a grungy guitar part, but it's filtered in such a way that it fits alongside more electronic numbers like "It's No Good" and "Sister of Night." Given the band's immense struggles at the time, it's absolutely shocking at how good Ultra turned out.

David Bowie - The Next Day
If you removed Bowie's entire discography after Scary Monsters, then The Next Day would be the perfect follow-up album. I definitely feel that it is Bowie's strongest since then, containing an energy and aggressiveness that he rarely displayed in those intervening years. The title track is one of my favorite Bowie songs overall, particularly with its fierce vocals and the way it builds to that explosive chorus. "I'd Rather Be High" is an excellent combination of an almost-militaristic guitar riff and a great set of lyrics that manages to be about war without beating the listener over the head with it. "The Stars Are Out Tonight" is one of his catchiest songs in recent memory. I also love the slimy saxophone in "Dirty Boys," the belting female vocal and percussion in "If You Can See Me," the synths in "Love Is Lost" and the "Five Years" teaser in "You Feel So Lonely You Could Die." Sure, the record is a little too long, but I think it stands up with Bowie's best.

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
This album feels like the first major evolution of NIN's sound since The Downward Spiral. The two records after that one felt like Trent Reznor was stuck in a stylistic rut, though I like The Fragile and With Teeth. The merger of electronics with industrial metal makes for some of Reznor's strongest work, with "Survivalism," "My Violent Heart" and "The Warning" being the best examples. I love the digital freakouts at the end of "Vessel" and "The Great Destroyer." "In This Twilight" is his best closer outside of "Hurt." It's one of those records that doesn't get as much love or notice as it should. I feel it's the strongest of Reznor's post-90s work.

St. Vincent - Marry Me
I feel that the strength of St. Vincent's subsequent albums has left this one in the dust, which is a shame since it's her debut that made me a fan. "Now Now" is still in my Mount Rushmore for her. I love the way it switches gears from gentle and slightly off-putting to absolutely furious. It's like the blueprint of St. Vincent's sound. "Marry Me" is a great piano ballad, which she seems to have abandoned on her last two albums. The macabre tone of "Paris Is Burning" fits perfectly with its historical lyrics. I also really like "The Apocalypse Song," especially its lovely chorus. "Your Lips Are Red" is one of the album's best, and the only song from this era that she still plays consistently. Makes sense, given how weird, funky and off-kilter that riff is. While she has an absolute ton of incredible songs over her four records, I wish this album would get a little more love on tour.

Other records:
Blur - 13 (A beautiful, weird record that feels like it doesn't get any love outside of "Tender" and "Coffee and TV." Highlights: "Bugman," "No Distance Left To Run")

Beck - Midnite Vultures (I love how this album fully embraces 70s funk. It should have been as huge as Odelay. Highlights: "Sexx Laws," "Mixed Bizness," "Debra")

Elbow - Cast of Thousands (The first signs of the potential the band had for giant, inspirational choruses, alongside quiet, floating ballads. Highlights: "Ribcage," "Fugitive Motel," "Not a Job")

Garbage - Not Your Kind Of People (One of the very few examples of a reunion album that stands up with the band's best work. Fantastic album. Highlights: "Automatic Systematic Habit," "Big Bright World," "Battle In Me")

Keane - Perfect Symmetry (Keane tries to stretch out their style and it works. This album's textures and introduction of guitars/synths was a great experiment and put them on a path they should have kept going down, rather than abandoning it. Highlights: "Spiralling," "Better Than This," "Perfect Symmetry")

R.E.M. - Up (The band's first effort without Bill Berry is one of their bravest, moving into electronic music without losing the qualities that made them R.E.M. The only downside is it's way too long. If you cut this down to 10 songs, it'd be among their stronget efforts. Highlights: "Lotus," "At My Most Beautiful," "Walk Unafraid")

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones (A great follow-up to Fever To Tell. It feels like it didn't get the attention it deserved though. Highlights: "Gold Lion," Way Out," "Phenomena")

Speaking of Cocteau Twins, I bought the remasters of Heaven or Las Vegas and Blue Bell Knoll.
I don't know if they're under-appreciated, but those are some damn fine albums.

Definitely a great band, and probably one of the most consistent artists out there.

Freestate is my favourite Depeche Mode song that wasn't a single. I love that bluesy guitar.

To The Faithful Departed was the follow up album to No Need To Argue. It was still successful commercially but arguably only because of their previous success. I'll always personally appreciate it and love Salvation (my first introduction to Cranberries) but It didn't really add anything more to what the Cranberries were all about. Every album from that release on was less anticipated than the album that preceded it, as people increasingly lost interest.

Their compilation released in 2002 feels stacked with big hits in the first half because of it's chronological track listing. Tracks 11-17 were singles that made zero impact.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

This song in particular was a favorite of me and a couple people back in college who liked the band. It's long with a few different sections but really beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGdtukIxUk

:up:

Lots of love for songs like Ridiculous Thoughts, Disappointment and Yeat's Grave which are also highlights in particular.

Depeche Mode - Ultra
For me, this is the last truly great Depeche Mode album. I love the vibe of the record, almost eerily electronic. It feels like the complete opposite of Songs of Faith and Devotion, which is my favorite DM record. "Barrel of a Gun" is one of the band's best singles and should be regarded as highly as "Personal Jesus" or "A Question of Time." "Home" makes nearly every other Martin Gore song pale in comparison. I love its slow and steady buildup that centers on Gore's performance, and ends with that fantastic guitar riff. "Useless" is another song that deserves more love than it gets, containing such a grungy guitar part, but it's filtered in such a way that it fits alongside more electronic numbers like "It's No Good" and "Sister of Night." Given the band's immense struggles at the time, it's absolutely shocking at how good Ultra turned out.

Barrel of a Gun makes you want to smash things in with a crowbar, it's an electrifying song just like most of that album. Ultra's definitely the favourite of all the albums I've heard by DM.

I think part of the absence of Marry Me from St. Vincent's setlists has to do with the band she's playing with - is she still doing the two keyboardists and drummer thing, with one playing a Moog and the other playing all of the pads and samples and all that? In that case, a lot of the songs on the first two albums really require a larger band to play live, which is why Now, Now or The Strangers never appears.

Which is a disappointing thing, because Now, Now will rip you head off.

I once bought a classic Jaguar from a car dealer that also sold one to the Cranberries' guitar player and a friend of mine is either first or second cousin (I forget which) to the same guy.

Er, yeah, that's my Cranberries trivia.

Seemingly when the Cranberries were support act to Suede during the latter's American tour during the mid '90s, Bernard Butler sometimes travelled in the Cranberries' tour bus, such were the tensions that had emerged in the Suede camp.

I think part of the absence of Marry Me from St. Vincent's setlists has to do with the band she's playing with - is she still doing the two keyboardists and drummer thing, with one playing a Moog and the other playing all of the pads and samples and all that? In that case, a lot of the songs on the first two albums really require a larger band to play live, which is why Now, Now or The Strangers never appears.

Which is a disappointing thing, because Now, Now will rip you head off.

Yeah, looks like it. The keyboards do switch off to play guitar/bass though too. But yeah, I agree about Now Now. The only songs that gets to that level are Your Lips Are Red or Krokodil.

Back
Top Bottom