Underappreciated/Underdog Albums - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #76
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
I rarely hear it mentioned as one of their best albums.
I guess I'll allow it. I GUESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Seventeen Seconds would be my pick for their best album. Moody and ominous as hell.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Thumbs Up

I don't know if this album is under appreciated or underrated. Perhaps it could be considered a forgotten gem:

No Jacket Required by Phil Collins

Arguably Phil's finest solo work. I can remember playing the shit out of this tape from 1985 until I bought it on CD in the early 90's. This album has been an essential part of the soundtrack of my life. Take Me Home is my favorite track on this one.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
I might get killed here for this, but IMO the Goo Goo Dolls fit the under-appreciated category. Superstar Car Wash is one of my favorite CDs and rarely gets a "skip" -- they put on a good concert too.

Sure, it's kind of sugary pop-rock, but what they do, they do well.

Mentions by other posters that I'd support include the Killers and the Replacements.
I haven't listened to Superstar Car Wash in possibly 15 years, but because of this post, I am right now. Holy Shit! I forgot how awesome it is, in a predictable 90's pop/rock sort of way. I was in high school in the 90's, so that kind of music always holds a special place in my heart.

My high school girlfriend was OBSESSED with the Goo Goo Dolls, so I pretty much know every note of "A boy named Goo" and "Dizzy up the Girl", and we saw them in 1998 or so, and it was a great show (of course I didn't have make to compare to at the time). Years later, around 2007, I went with a different girlfriend (now my wife) to see Goo Goo Dolls with the Counting Crows, and GGD were definitely the weaker of the 2 bands.

Most of you have probably never heard Flickerstick's "Welcoming Home the Astronauts", but it's a great album by a great band who just couldn't quite break on through to the other side. It's fairly obvious they wrote a bunch of stadium ready anthems that seemed ready for radio play, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for a good stadium anthem… hence why I'm at a U2 site!

Also, give Boston's first album a listen, and Aerosmith's "Rocks".
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I don't know if this album is under appreciated or underrated. Perhaps it could be considered a forgotten gem:

No Jacket Required by Phil Collins
I believe this is the appropriate category:

Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

Or maybe just file under "crap".
Old 08-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I like Phil Collins. Of all those 80s balladeer guys (Don Henley, Bryan Adams, etc), Collins was the best and most consistent.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:22 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah...that's not saying much.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #82
The Male

Boys of Summer > Phil Collins' entire solo career and 80s Genesis.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

File all under why? Why did this have to exist?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Boys of Summer > Phil Collins' entire solo career and 80s Genesis.
I'd agree with the first part but there are a handful of great Genesis tracks from that period that surpass Henley at his best. Boys Of Summer has a good melody but his vocal is disposable as always, and the music (Bruce Hornsby!) ain't much either. The David Fincher-directed video is better than the song itself.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Faith No More - King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime
One of the most lazily shrugged off albums of the entire 90's by one of the best bands of the 90's. I'm not saying it's on par with Angel Dust or probably even The Real Thing, but it's got some damn good stuff on it. Title track is great.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #86
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'd agree with the first part but there are a handful of great Genesis tracks from that period that surpass Henley at his best. Boys Of Summer has a good melody but his vocal is disposable as always, and the music (Bruce Hornsby!) ain't much either. The David Fincher-directed video is better than the song itself.
I'm not saying it's the greatest song of the 80s or anything, but that chorus really is something else. It's hard to find any 80s pop songs with nuance, let alone a track that captures the feeling of nostalgia and sexual tension as well as that one does.

80s Genesis songs I like a lot: Tonight Tonight Tonight, Mama, That's All, Land of Confusion (to an extent). 70s Genesis was brilliant.

Now.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
One of the most lazily shrugged off albums of the entire 90's by one of the best bands of the 90's. I'm not saying it's on par with Angel Dust or probably even The Real Thing, but it's got some damn good stuff on it. Title track is great.
Anything Mike Patton touches get ragged on for some reason. Mr. Bungle are currently blowing my fucking mind - California is actually a really well done art pop album that everyone overlooks.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #88
The Male

Got another one for this thread: Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ. Pure charm and class songwriting all over the place here. Not the Bruce that took the world by storm, instead it's just a great batch of lovingly performed songs that stands out in his discography and delivers left and right. Though it doesn't quite have the E Street sound, all fans know what these songs sound like when performed by the band and they hold up with his best material.

Blinded by the Light, Growin' Up, Lost in the Flood, For You, Spirit in the Night and It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City are all great songs and I love Does This Bus Stop at 82nd Street as well. The remaining weak points are still way more interesting than most anything on his weaker albums.

Now.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
It's much, much better than The Real Thing. It's their most versatile, fucked up, over-the-top and emotionally charged record. Title track is indeed a classic, although stuff like Evidence, Just a Man, Ricochet, Take This Bottle and Cuckoo for Caca (closest they got to sounding like Mr. Bungle) aren't too far behind. The amount of genres they cover on this one is just insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Anything Mike Patton touches get ragged on for some reason. Mr. Bungle are currently blowing my fucking mind - California is actually a really well done art pop album that everyone overlooks.
Retrovertigo is one of his most beautiful songs.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 AM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
better than The Real Thing

Retrovertigo

Clearly paying homage to The 2