Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the most lazily shrugged off albums of the entire 90's by one of the best bands of the 90's. I'm not saying it's on par with Angel Dust or probably even The Real Thing, but it's got some damn good stuff on it. Title track is great.

:up:

I'm not saying it's the greatest song of the 80s or anything, but that chorus really is something else. It's hard to find any 80s pop songs with nuance, let alone a track that captures the feeling of nostalgia and sexual tension as well as that one does.

80s Genesis songs I like a lot: Tonight Tonight Tonight, Mama, That's All, Land of Confusion (to an extent). 70s Genesis was brilliant.

I'd probably add Home By the Sea/Second Home By the Sea and maybe Turn it on Again.

As for Collins solo, it starts and ends with In the Air Tonight. He should have retired before he started doing movie soundtrack songs (as should have Bryan "don't call me Ryan" Adams).

There are three Bryan Adams songs I enjoy: Cuts Like a Knife, Run to You and Summer of '69.

Heaven is made up of some kind of magical property, the exact midway point between music and wallpaper. If you listen carefully, you can hear a dentist drilling way in the background. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You would provide enough corn to feed the entire Midwest if they ever faced a devastating drought. The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me Is You is like that time Bono wore eyeliner.

I think that's every song by Bryan Adams I know.

Last edited:
I want to take this opportunity to mention that Private Dancer was one of the better blockbuster 80s pop albums. The title track is pretty powerful actually.

Lifes Rich Pageant by R.E.M. is one of the greatest albums ever. Not a single weak song on it. I'd also say New Adventures In Hi-Fi is also hugely underrated. They didn't get the popularity like Out Of Time, Automatic for the people, and Monster. But those 2 are definetly some of their best material.

David Bowie - "Heroes"
Sigur Ros - Valtari
The Kinks - Lola Versus The Moneygoround
Blur - 13
Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
Yo La Tengo - Painful
U2 - October
Rem - Green
The Verve - No Come Down

I still think "tender" sucks, but I like everything else about that album. Even bugman. Coffee & TV is my favorite blur song.

Speaking of Blur that sucks, although their self titled album is quite good, if I hear 'Song 2' again for like the one-to-two times a day I've heard it, every single day since late 1997, I'm pretty sure I'm going on a homicidal rampage.

(disclaimer: not really, ok cia lurkers)

I think I admitted somewhere to not hating everclear. Nostalgia gives me a soft spot for a lot of truly mediocre late 90s mainstream rock music, but So Much for the Afterglow is still an album I listen to occasionally to this day.

Sublime, on the other hand, I don't understand who still wants to hear them anymore.

I might listen to something from the Cranberries' first album, or the Counting Crows' first album, or 'Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover' by Sophie Hawkins (hell of a song really despite completely whatever lyrics)... that's as far as nostalgia takes me.

I'm pretty sure I've never heard a cranberries song that wasn't zombie, nor do I wish to.

I just heard the Cranberries' debut the other day...not on the level of their influences (Cocteau Twins, The Sundays), but really quite good. Dreams is wonderful. A perfect pop song.

Zombie blows.

yes, zombie blows. I obviously wasn't talking about zombie, which is from their second album which I can't recall the title of.

Just making an attempt to convince IWB that the Cranberries have worthwhile music.

She doesn't strike me as a fan of dream pop, but you know.

The Cranberries are pretty good, their first two albums are pretty to very good quality-wise, slim pickings after that.

I just heard the Cranberries' debut the other day...not on the level of their influences (Cocteau Twins, The Sundays), but really quite good. Dreams is wonderful. A perfect pop song.

Zombie blows.

Oh right, Dreams. I've heard that, it just got overshadowed by how bad zombie is. Dreams is forgettable.

They made that Renegade song right? "Early in the mornin', risin' to my feet..."

I always liked that song. I played a lot of Dave Mirra BMX on PS1.

That is how a sublime song starts, but I don't believe it's called renegade.

I'd call that song one of their worst offenders, until I remember summertime, wrong way, and the one where he calls his dick his mushroom tip.

Back
Top Bottom