Underappreciated/Underdog Albums - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #31
45:33

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Among hardcore Pavement fans it tends to rate extremely high. It's always been my personal favorite of theirs and probably my #3 album of all time.

What's your top five or ten?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 11:20 AM
New Adventures In Hi Fi is a good one.

Tinderbox by Siouxsie and the Banshees is a fucking incredible album that is just sort of ignored by their fanbase because John Valentine Carruthers was the guitarist named John on that album. Hyaena as well, with Robert Smith as the guitarist not named John.

Aerial by Kate Bush.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:20 PM
Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

Could probably count most post-Automatic REM, I guess. I like new adventures, monster, and up. I like those albums a lot. But pre-Automatic and post-Automatic REM almost seem to be separate discographies, be it major label vs IRS distinction or the "I like their earlier stuff better," comment that people cling to (out of either having discovered the band when that was all there was and thus forming an attachment to that stuff, or because it just makes you sound cooler to only like the early albums when it's a band that followed the sort of career trajectory the did).

Since I was most assuredly not an rem fan until way late, and didn't give a shit* about them in the mid 90s I have virtually no knowledge of critical/popular opinion regarding hi-fi, aside from thinking somewhere that ebow was generally accepted as one of their best or something of the sort. Monster, though, wasn't that considered to be one of the most albums commonly found in the record store bargain bin? And Up, people are always defending their picks off up for why they're good songs despite being post-Berry REM (sad professor FTW).

*i read a quote from stipe saying he didn't give a shit about the Beatles, so when I was 12 I had no time for people who said stuff like that. I was dumb. I was 12, though. Caused a minor crisis when I discovered that's who did "it's the end of the world as we know it"...
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #34
The Male

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post

Aerial by Kate Bush.
Yes. And I would add Never For Ever in there as well. I feel like that one gets completely overshadowed by Hounds of Love and The Kick Inside.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
Could probably count most post-Automatic REM, I guess. I like new adventures, monster, and up. I like those albums a lot. But pre-Automatic and post-Automatic REM almost seem to be separate discographies, be it major label vs IRS distinction or the "I like their earlier stuff better," comment that people cling to (out of either having discovered the band when that was all there was and thus forming an attachment to that stuff, or because it just makes you sound cooler to only like the early albums when it's a band that followed the sort of career trajectory the did).

Since I was most assuredly not an rem fan until way late, and didn't give a shit* about them in the mid 90s I have virtually no knowledge of critical/popular opinion regarding hi-fi, aside from thinking somewhere that ebow was generally accepted as one of their best or something of the sort. Monster, though, wasn't that considered to be one of the most albums commonly found in the record store bargain bin? And Up, people are always defending their picks off up for why they're good songs despite being post-Berry REM (sad professor FTW).

*i read a quote from stipe saying he didn't give a shit about the Beatles, so when I was 12 I had no time for people who said stuff like that. I was dumb. I was 12, though. Caused a minor crisis when I discovered that's who did "it's the end of the world as we know it"...
For whatever reason (a combination of reasons), Monster is when REM's bubble burst, much as with U2 and POP a few years later. Fairly so? Not particularly... with that and New Adventures I think they still definitely had creative juice in the tank. Even Up is well worth at least listening to.

Funny thing in REM's case, they never really 'went away'... if my arithmetic is right, there's never more than a two year gap between any of their albums into the early 21st century. So less of a chance for a Cure or U2-style mini generation-gap to set in, with younger listeners suddenly tuning out (and well, the Cure started sucking).
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

That makes sense.

I wish reveal would go away. Sadly, it was the first rem album I bought (I had taped pretty much everything else off library copies before this point).
Old 08-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I listened to Reveal once, in 2000 or whenever. It just sort of... do you know Bono raved at the time about what a beautiful record they'd made and how he felt like they (his own band) had a tough task to live up to... gaaaaah.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Haha. Oh that Bono, so ever out of touch with reality.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Around the Sun got a heady rave from him too as I recall. This was in the 'in the studio' stage.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Not sure if 'underappreciated' is strictly the right word, maybe it is, but:

Everything Tricky did after Maxinquaye into the latter half of the nineties.

PJ Harvey's "Is This Desire"
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

I'd like to add Sulk by The Associates. That album is weird. That album is pretty good.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #42
45:33

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Three pages in and you haven't mentioned Phish, must be a new record.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Gotta pick your audience.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbelcik View Post
Fuck, I was gonna mention Pop. I'm gonna go with Too Fast For Love by Mötley Crüe, I just saw them last weekend and they played some cuts from TFFL. It's a great punky, hard rock album with some killer songs. I'll probably get shit for liking the Crüe, but they made three great albums (TFFL, Shout at the Devil, and Dr. Feelgood). They always get lumped in with the hair metal bands, which isn't fair to them.
Agree on TFFL, gets completely overshadowed in the mainstream, but some of their best work.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #45
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Destroyer's Trouble in Dreams is underrated I think (not that there's many people rating their albums). My third fav after Kaputt and Rubies.
Same.