Underappreciated/Underdog Albums - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Another for me: Morrissey's Southpaw Grammar. It is certainly a departure for him in musical terms; I guess "prog" would be the appropriate term. His voice though is in a very rich tone - a tone he seems only to have had for that album - and the 10-minute-plus bookends are both stunners. "Southpaw" in particular is one of his best solo tracks.

And speaking of Radiohead, King of Limbs is an album I hold very dear. Ironically reminds me of a very positive time I spent in London.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 12:41 PM
Also Wish. Disintegration was impossible to follow, but Wish is a fantastic pop album.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 AM   #18
The Male

Is Wowee Zowee overlooked? Because I would gladly place that one at or above any of Pavement's other albums but mostly see people discussing the first two.

Also, Midnite Vultures by Beck. It was a commercial failure that inadvertently rerouted his entire career but contains some of his most thrilling music. He picked a sound, dove right the fuck in and delivered a wonderful album that took the spirit of the 70s but made it feel completely modern. So much fun.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #19
Refugee

Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed...just kidding

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #20
45:33

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Wow I had no idea Midnite Vultures was considered overlooked. Love that fucking thing. Wish he'd play more of it live.

iYup where do you stand on Morrissey currently? Not that I've followed any of his solo work (or indeed even heard anything bar The Queen is Dead) but I'm growing mightily tired of the man. But perhaps that's because Pitchfork and their ilk know they'll get hits if they write about him.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Underappreciated/Underdog Albums

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Jackknife to a Swan.

Long forgotten by anyone who only knew of them from The Impression that I Get by the time it came out, written off as phoning it in in the poppier vein by hardcore fans, but probably my favorite actual entire bosstones album (and the reason I gave them a second chance).

And on a related note, go do yourselves a favor and listen to the first Avoid One Thing album. The second was trash, but that first one is pure pop punk gold (not whiney, not emo, and no horns if you were afraid of the related note being ska in nature).

I've been at work for 5 and a half hours and we haven't done a call yet. Yes, I am bored.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
iYup where do you stand on Morrissey currently? Not that I've followed any of his solo work (or indeed even heard anything bar The Queen is Dead) but I'm growing mightily tired of the man. But perhaps that's because Pitchfork and their ilk know they'll get hits if they write about him.
I remain a huge fan and am almost always an apologist for him. That said, I understand how he can be off-putting, for lack of a better term. The autobiography puts a lot of his eccentricities in perspective and I think gives insight to many of the controversies. For example, I had to laugh a bit at the recent security guard accusation against him, because I had just read a part in the book where he talks about the various problems he has had in his career with abusive or exploitative security.

I think you are right as well that music publications tend to write about him whenever they get the chance and sometimes for no apparent reason, which is also something he frequently expresses bafflement toward in the autobiography.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #23
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Wow I had no idea Midnite Vultures was considered overlooked. Love that fucking thing. Wish he'd play more of it live.
It definitely stands out a commercial failure:

Mellow Gold #13 US
Odelay #16 US
Mutations #13 US
Midnite Vultures #34 US
Sea Change #8 US

Critics liked it though and it has a cult following, so that's nice I guess.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #24

Sounds like me with Kanye. I think my latest opinion of him has been based on the lyrics that have been quoted in reviews of his latest albums, which all seem angry, judgemental and lacking any subtlety. I should look deeper.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:11 AM
The first album that comes to mind for me is the Manics' Know Your Enemy, it was the next album after their biggest and most commercially successful and it was this sprawling 70-odd minute mess that didn't register much positivity from the critics at all (RS gave the whole thing no stars!). The background of the album is just as interesting as the music in it, it was essentially a deliberate fuck up of substantial proportion, not much cohesiveness, a variety of ventures into different styles and most importantly, the sound of a band who at the time did not seem to give a shit about what the critics would think (although as their career went on naturally they put a bit more stock into what the critics thought). For all those reasons above, I have a strong admiration for it, it's not even near perfect, there are a few songs I don't have much of an interest in but overall it's a big thrill to listen to it.

It's not the sort of album that is mentioned among their best with any regularity, and fan opinion is still divided on it, it's the sort of album that in the context of their career can only provoke strong, love or hate reactions. For as little critical positivity as it attracted I do tend to think that it is a 'necessary' album in the space of their entire discography.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
I think a few of the latter Beatles albums are vastly over-rated by the cognoscenti
Nope.

Those albums aren't just loved by some elite group of critics but by the general public as well. Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road, and The White Album have stood the test of time by any conceivable measure. Let It Be you could make a case for, but people don't go around saying it's some kind of masterpiece so not sure how it could be overrated.

Magical Mystery Tour was originally an EP and joined with singles and b-sides for its American issue, which has since become the canon format. But I don't see how that could be overrated either, as it has some of their most popular songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Is Wowee Zowee overlooked? Because I would gladly place that one at or above any of Pavement's other albums but mostly see people discussing the first two.
Among hardcore Pavement fans it tends to rate extremely high. It's always been my personal favorite of theirs and probably my #3 album of all time.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Basically everything by The Killers, for me.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:37 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:41 AM
I guess Massive Attack's Heligoland counts as an underdog.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:13 AM   #29

Destroyer's Trouble in Dreams is underrated I think (not that there's many people rating their albums). My third fav after Kaputt and Rubies.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:16 AM   #30
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Palace Music - Arise, Therefore
Bonnie 'Prince' Bill - Ease Down the Road

2 Will Oldham albums released around the same time as "There Is No-One What Will Take Care of You" and "I See a Darkness" while not nearly getting the same critical acclaim.
I especially consider "Arise, Therefore" as one of the greatest albums ever made.
Mood, music and lyrics in superb balance and incomparable to just about anything else out there.

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote