Uncool Music Appreciation ~ Episode 3 ~ Bryan Adams Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Welcome to the UMAs where we celebrate artists and bands that are generally completely hated and reviled by the cool kids of this forum. Here you will find all those artists that you have been advised over and over not to like by the ones with impeccable taste in music. So don't look for B&C favorites like Radiohead, Arcade Fire or Sigur Ros in here. In fact, indie music is banned in this thread. The more mainstream an artist is, more is the chance you will find them featured in this series. Now let's go ahead and celebrate extremely popular mainstream music with the UMAs!

Alrighty! For the third episode, we focus on Canadian rocker or... *cough* ex rocker, Bryan Adams. Nominated for several Grammy awards throughout his career, he has sold an estimated 65 million records!

So this guy started out as a rocker in the vein of Springsteen (one of his influences) with his blue jeans, white t-shirt, leather jacket and good old fashioned rock n roll songs like...

YouTube - bryan adams
YouTube - Bryan Adams - Run To You
YouTube - Bryan Adams Kids Wanna Rock + Summer of 69 @ Live Aid 85

He rocked Live Aid! And then there was a ballad... and the rock fanatics went... :uhoh:

YouTube - Bryan Adams - Heaven

I love that song though. What a great chorus! :love: So what if it's a ballad? Everything does not have to rawwkkk!!

Then there was an album called Into The Fire which got mixed reviews. But in 1991, the guy came back with a bang on Waking Up The Neighbours! It featured the hit singles...

YouTube - Bryan Adams - Can't Stop This Thing We Started

I fucking love that song! Probably my favorite.

YouTube - Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

:uhoh: another ballad! :scream: But this was no ordinary ballad. It spent a record-breaking 16 weeks at #1 on the UK Singles Chart and topped the charts in almost every country in the world!

That was the end of Bryan Adams. Thank you and good night.

It's the ballads that kill 'em off, isn't it? :tsk:

So since then he's been making adult contemporary ballads like Cloud Number Nine and "trying too hard to be cool" teen rockers like 18 Til I Die.

But I did like one other ballad that was actually... lol, cut at the last minute from my sexy desert island 5 playlist. :shifty:

YouTube - Bryan Adams - Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman?

Oh c'mon! If Bono/U2 sang that song, you all would have no problem admitting to liking it! :p

This song was not bad either:
YouTube - Bryan Adams - Back To You

That's where my story ends. Now let's reminisce!

Feel free to share your own favorite clips of course.

Next up: This band's first album with, what I think is one of the coolest album covers in rock history, was released on March 14, 1980.

I'm not sure if the fact that Summer of 69 is about oral sex lowers or highers my opinion of Bryan Adams.

I met a Canadian guy who went to the gig that was filmed for that clip. It was free.

Bryan lost me at Everything I Do (I Do It For You). Before then, I still sort of cared. Reckless is his best work. It was on my All Time Top 50.

The only cool thing about him was that he wanted to call his first album "Bryan Adams Hasn't Heard of You, Either". Record label said no.

I remember that one of the first things I ever heard about Ryan Adams was that he lost his shit when someone yelled out and requested that he play Summer of '69 at one of his shows. Don't know if it's true or not, but it makes me laugh when I think about it.

You gotta expect that stuff like festivals and the like, where there's a good chance non-fans are in the audience, he gets that shit a lot.

Ok, as for Bryan Adams, he does have some great singles. I own Reckless and Cuts Like a Knife, but I have not, as of yet, given either a good listen.

Heaven is probably one of my favorite songs by him though, I didn't realize it was hated.

I remember that one of the first things I ever heard about Ryan Adams was that he lost his shit when someone yelled out and requested that he play Summer of '69 at one of his shows. Don't know if it's true or not, but it makes me laugh when I think about it.

That is indeed funny!

The only cool thing about him was that he wanted to call his first album "Bryan Adams Hasn't Heard of You, Either". Record label said no.

I thought it was his second album that he wanted to do that for after the disappointing sales of his first album.

Heaven is probably one of my favorite songs by him though, I didn't realize it was hated.

I blame the 900 dance remixes that came afterwards.

I have nothing positive to say about Bryan Adams, I'm afraid.

Although I did have the 45 for "Heaven" back in the day. I don't know what I was thinking. I guess I used to like big 80s ballads. ;)

Wow! Nobody likes Cuts Like A Knife, Run To You, Summer of 69 or Can't Stop...? at least for nostalgia sake? Where is Phanan?!! ;)

Summer of 69 is okay. I used to really like it, now I just think it's okay. His stuff hasn't held up for me over time.

I used to have the sheet music for Everything I Do (I Do It For You) - I think any halfway decent piano player back in the day bought that one. ;)

Oh, that Have You Ever Really (Really Really Really Really) Ever Loved a Woman song drives me batshit insane.

Summer of 69 is okay. I used to really like it, now I just think it's okay. His stuff hasn't held up for me over time.

I used to have the sheet music for Everything I Do (I Do It For You) - I think any halfway decent piano player back in the day bought that one. ;)

I had that sheet music too :lol:

Oh, that Have You Ever Really (Really Really Really Really) Ever Loved a Woman song drives me batshit insane.

:lmao:! It drove a lot of people batshit insane. I like it for the spanish flavor/melody and some of the lyrics like "when you can see your unborn children in her eyes, you know you really loved a woman".

I like it for the spanish flavor/melody and some of the lyrics like "when you can see your unborn children in her eyes, you know you really loved a woman".

That line is one of the reasons it drives me batshit insane. I hope no one ever looks into my eyes and sees imaginary fetuses. They will be sorely disappointed.

:lol: I just thought of another Bryan Adams song I really liked, but as it has not been mentioned in the thread yet, I'm too embarrassed to say what it is.

That line is one of the reasons it drives me batshit insane. I hope no one ever looks into my eyes and sees imaginary fetuses. They will be sorely disappointed.

lmao! Obviously it was supposed to convey something along the lines of seeing innocence in her eyes or whatever, that's my guess. I seriously doubt Bryan Adams wants to see imaginary fetuses in his woman's eyes.

Back
Top Bottom