Uncool Music Appreciation ~ Episode 2 ~ Bon Jovi Appreciation Thread! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #76
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Here's my Bon Jovi story: When I was 16-17, I had a gig with 3 other guys after school and weekends cleaning banks and factory offices. It was amazing money (I mean, $15/hr in 86 when you're not even out of school yet? fuckyeah. but I digress). To be sure, I was NOT into 'hair metal' or 'rock' as they called it then. My favorite bands were U2, New Order, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Cure, Bob Marley...you get the idea.

Anyways, so we'd drive from client to client in this big old Ford van that carried all our floor buffers and supplies and whatnot, and the only radio station that the damn van picked up was CHAY FM (Ontario residents will remember what CHAY was back then ) . There were four main cassettes that got major rotation in the van, therefore (in no particular order, it usually depended on who got done their task first and got out to warm up the van):

1. Guns and Roses Appetite For Destruction, 2. Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet, 3. U2 The Joshua Tree and 4. Def Leppard Hysteria.

After graduating high school and leaving that job behind, the only album that I continued to listen to with any regularity was, of course, The Joshua Tree. However, I still sing along to some of the singles from those albums such as Slippery When Wet when I randomly hear them and I still appreciate those other three albums for what they were, a piece of my youth that brings back great memories. I don't run from the dancefloor when I hear "SHOT THRU THE HEART", but I do smile at the kids who rock out to it. You can't miss playing that song as a DJ at a party, trust me it's a win everytime.

It's easy for kids who feel they possess a certain level of what I like to call 'false indie sophistication/superiority' to look back on those records and diss them, but they were great in their day.

Thank you. Oh, and I have no idea what else Bon Jovi has done since, honestly. I don't even think I know a single song outside of the Slippery When Wet years . So I likely would have held him while you administered the boot to his spine, NSW

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #77
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
I don't run from the dancefloor when I hear "SHOT THRU THE HEART", but I do smile at the kids who rock out to it. You can't miss playing that song as a DJ at a party, trust me it's a win everytime.

It's easy for kids who feel they possess a certain level of what I like to call 'false indie sophistication/superiority' to look back on those records and diss them, but they were great in their day.

Nice story!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:58 AM
They weren't great in their day, either.

From Rolling Stone, in 1986:

Slippery When Wet : Bon Jovi : Review : Rolling Stone

"Jon Bon Jovi and his band serve up condescending sentiment, reducing every emotional statement to a barefaced cliché – either because they think that's all their audience can comprehend or because that's all they can comprehend. On Slippery When Wet, Bon Jovi sounds like bad fourth-generation metal, a smudgy Xerox of Quiet Riot."

OUCH.

For comparison's sake, just look at Kurt Loder's review of Def Leppard's Hysteria, released around the same time, which is mixed but still recognizes quality in the genre:

http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/...67482/hysteria
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #79
Blue Crack Distributor

Poison:

Poison: Open Up And Say Ahh! : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone

One star.

Quote:
When it comes to lyrics, Ahh! is a guided tour of rock-catch-phrase hell, and Poison's bus doesn't miss a single stop. As if we'd never been there before, the band dutifully points out the Horizontal Bop ("Love on the Rocks"), the Scar That Never Heals ("Every Rose Has Its Thorn"), the Burnin' Desire ("Tearin' Down the Walls") and Life in the Fast Lane ("Fallen Angel").

Ultimately, Open Up and Say . . . Ahh! is little more than a paean to the power of clever marketing, a nasty reminder of what can happen when swagger takes precedence over substance, and nothing sums it up more succinctly than a look at the album's inner sleeve. There, among the credits, we find the name of the snarling, befanged witchy woman who adorns the cover: Bambi.
Poison: Flesh & Blood : Music Reviews : Rolling Stone

Two stars.

Ouch.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

VP!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

You know what? If you like Poison, that's totally fine. But keep in mind that if you do, you hardly have room to criticize the taste of others. At least a lot of people in this and the Phil Collins thread are willing to admit that a lot of it is cheese - albeit fun cheese - rather than rationalizing it as great music while slamming others.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #82
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
At least a lot of people in this and the Phil Collins thread are willing to admit that a lot of it is cheese - albeit fun cheese - rather than rationalizing it as great music while slamming others.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Ugh. Bon Jovi.

As others have stated, bring on the Def Leppard thread. Hysteria is a great album.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You know what? If you like Poison, that's totally fine. But keep in mind that if you do, you hardly have room to criticize the taste of others. At least a lot of people in this and the Phil Collins thread are willing to admit that a lot of it is cheese - albeit fun cheese - rather than rationalizing it as great music while slamming others.
The difference is that I'm not creating Poison or Def Leppard appreciation threads. All I said before (in the Nuno Bettencourt thread, which Zoots also started) was that in this genre, I thought they were far more talented than the other bands mentioned. I don't listen the music regularly; in fact, I probably haven't voluntarily put Poison on in 15 years.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #85
Blue Crack Distributor

Not to speak for Zoots, but I doubt he's active on the Bon Jovi fan scene or anything. I think these threads are more of a nostalgia kind of thing.

You think that Poison is more talented, and that Bon Jovi sucks. Fair enough. It's just that within the music industry and the various fandoms of the two bands, for every one person who thinks Poison was a credible band, you could probably find five or ten who think that Bon Jovi are. I mean, c'mon, even back in the day, Poison were though of as fluff. Just because you think they're more talented than Bon Jovi doesn't make it so.

I don't even know why I'm discussing this, because like you said about Poison, I haven't actively listened to Bon Jovi in 15 years, give or take. When I said they're okay in small doses, I meant that if I happen to catch a song of theirs on radio that's not among the many that were played to death, fine, I'll leave it on, but that's about as far as it goes for me. I actually do listen to Phil Collins-era Genesis, though, and I enjoy it.

I guess the point is, I don't see why there's the need to go and piss on other people's threads when you have your own musical skeletons, whether you create threads about them or not.

And for the record, I was a much bigger Def Leppard fan, too. I'm looking forward to that one.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not a fan of the genre, but "Nothin' But a Good Time" >>>> anything Bon Jovi has done. And I don't hate everything by Bon Jovi.

However, if Springsteen is President of Jersey, Bon Jovi is the waste commissioner in Collingswood. For comparison's sake.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Not to speak for Zoots, but I doubt he's active on the Bon Jovi fan scene or anything. I think these threads are more of a nostalgia kind of thing.
No problem. You said it perfectly! I'm a nut for nostalgia, be it 80s or 90s music... stuff that many of us grew up with!

Quote:
I guess the point is, I don't see why there's the need to go and piss on other people's threads when you have your own musical skeletons, whether you create threads about them or not.
Well said!

Quote:
And for the record, I was a much bigger Def Leppard fan
Oh yes. Me too!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #88
Blue Crack Supplier

I'll happily participate in the Def Leppard thread, as I had 10th row seats on the Hysteria tour, and my friend's cousin was married to the drummer (post-amputation!).
Old 12-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #89
Ghost of Love

I liked VPs comments. I would never turn to Bon Jovi for 'quality music' or even hint that they were "great" in that sense.

I also concur that Def Leppard are far far "better". I actually still willingly choose to listen to them, so there's that

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'll happily participate in the Def Leppard thread, as I had 10th row seats on the Hysteria tour, and my friend's cousin was married to the drummer (post-amputation!).
I couldn't make that tour, but I had front rows for the next one.

Wasn't he later arrested for spousal abuse, or something? And is it wrong that I find it sort of amusing that...you know...a one armed man...

Tags
bon jovi