Uncool Music Appreciation ~ Episode 1 ~ Phil Collins Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Welcome to the UMAs where we celebrate artists and bands that are generally completely hated and reviled by the cool kids of this forum. Here you will find all those artists that you have been advised over and over not to like by the ones with impeccable taste in music. So don't look for B&C favorites like Radiohead, Arcade Fire or Sigur Ros in here. In fact, indie music is banned in this thread. The more mainstream an artist is, more is the chance you will find them featured in this series. Now let's go ahead and celebrate extremely popular mainstream music with the UMAs!

For our first episode the featured artist is Phil Collins, former drummer of progressive rock group Genesis and Grammy winning solo artist.

241593.jpg

Here are 3 random well-known songs...

YouTube - Phil Collins - Against All Odds

YouTube - Phil Collins - Sussudio

YouTube - Phil Collins - I wish it would rain down (1989)

Here's the wiki entry on him:
Phil Collins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here's the official site:
Phil Collins - Official Site for Phil Collins

Enjoy!

Next up: The band who's initials abbreviate to something that cannot be discussed on prime time television!

When I was in year three at school, our class did a performance to Another Day In Paradise. I think the basic premise was that some kids were playing as the homeless, all moping about, and then some other kids from the other side of town came out from behind the curtains and started dancing with them. I was hardly satisfied with this, and asked my teacher if I could be allowed to fake-drive a cardboard convertible across the stage, just to happily remind the audience that there are rich people too.

That's my contribution to the Phil Collins thread.

I saw Phil Collins live in the early/mid 80s. A friend had an extra ticket so I went. It was a fun show and I had a good time. Never liked him enough to buy anything -- besides his songs were all over the radio then -- but you could do a whole lot worse than Phil Collins.

Always reminds me of Miami Vice too. :)

I absolutely love Against All Odds.

I also will admit to liking You'll Be in My Heart. (But the South Park song should have beaten it for the Oscar.)

As for Genesis, I love, love, LOVE Mama.

You know who loved Phil Collins? The American Psycho - in fact, right before he massacred Paul Allen he listened to Sussudio. Good things Zoots is Indian!

I do like Against All Odds. And Something in the Air Tonight is kinda cool.

You know who loved Phil Collins? The American Psycho - in fact, right before he massacred Paul Allen he listened to Sussudio. Good things Zoots is Indian!

I do like Against All Odds. And Something in the Air Tonight is kinda cool.

Those are the only things I enjoy by him, too, so good job Beav.

I sometimes play a cover of 'In the Air Tonight', and it never fails, they'll be one fool out there playing air drums to the build up...

Phil has some great gems, but then again he has some really lame ass shit... I either really love him or really hate him, there's very little gray area with me and Phil.

When I was in year three at school, our class did a performance to Another Day In Paradise. I think the basic premise was that some kids were playing as the homeless, all moping about, and then some other kids from the other side of town came out from behind the curtains and started dancing with them. I was hardly satisfied with this, and asked my teacher if I could be allowed to fake-drive a cardboard convertible across the stage, just to happily remind the audience that there are rich people too.

That's my contribution to the Phil Collins thread.

That is absolutely hilarious! Thank you for your contribution.

I also will admit to liking You'll Be in My Heart.

Yeah I like that song too but everybody I know completely hates it! :grumpy:

Seriously, I have said it before and I will say it again; No Jacket Required is one of the best albums of the 80's.

Wow I didn't know this little factoid about Elfa! You learn something new everyday! :wink:

Tarzan soundtrack :drool::drool:

:up: That other song... whatsitcalled.... Strangers Like Me is not bad either.

:hmm: I didn't expect this many positive responses to this thread! But let me not speak too soon.

ETA: Oops I spoke too soon! ElMelBasher pops his head again!!

Oh, wait, you were looking for positive responses? My bad.

OK. Well, his head is one of the shiniest I've ever seen. That's something. And he has more Oscars than I do. Can't be bothered to listen to his music though.

I sometimes play a cover of 'In the Air Tonight', and it never fails, they'll be one fool out there playing air drums to the build up...

Phil has some great gems, but then again he has some really lame ass shit... I either really love him or really hate him, there's very little gray area with me and Phil.

I kind of agree with you about the love-hate thing, except for me it's more love-indifference. The later adult oriented, Disney-fied crap he did, to me, it's too bland to muster up any hatred for. It's just meh.

Back
Top Bottom