Uncool Music Appreciation ~ Episode 1 ~ Phil Collins Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think "Phail Collins" is funny, for the record. I'm surprised no one made the joke earlier!
exactly. that's all it is, a joke. there was no personal malice or anything behind it as some seem to imply. it's not some potshot at phil collins, as me of all people couldn't possibly dis anything from the 80s. the phail collins joke has been going for a while, and given that i'm the one who came up with it (at least on here, anyway - i don't think i'm creative enough to come up with a completely new phrase) i can definitely say it's not an insult. just a joke. why, i remember when creed was filtered out like it was a curse word, but of course that was okay because no one here likes creed. :)

it's been changed back so now hopefully everyone can move on.

Thanks, Khan. I didn't mean to be a big bitch about it or anything, it just made me uncomfortable. :)

why, i remember when creed was filtered out like it was a curse word, but of course that was okay because no one here likes creed.

I love it when people start a sentence with "why". No one does that anymore. :(

I do like some songs by Phil Collins. "Against All Odds" is good, so is "Separate Lives" off the White Nights soundtrack.

Everything's rosy, everything's jake
But just how much can a good gal take

That's the only time I've ever heard it, in that old song. I don't know if it's the title or not, but the chorus is "I Told You I Loved You, Now Get Out."

Oh wow! Looks like a particularly unbiased mod has edited the title to say Phail! OMG that's so funny hyuk hyuk! Maybe we should add a list of taboo bands to the FAQs! :drool:

Zoots getting pissy over someone bashing a band/artist/corporate whore he likes? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

You know what's even funnier? I know the song from that black & white Moonlighting episode, where was a film noir thing, in the 40s, and Cybill Shepard played a nightclub singer.

But I guess if you're sensitive about how "uncool" your taste in Phil Collins is, you need to marshall all the defensive sarcasm you can about how it's "so funny hyuk hyuk".

:eeklaugh:

You're getting worked up over a single letter?

Actually no. I figured it was done in jest. But it was comedy gold watching YOU get all worked up over a little sarcasm in a thread you hadn't even posted in till then!

Geez, lighten up, Ax!

:wink:

I don't give a flying fig if someone thinks I'm uncool because I like a handful of Phil Collins tunes.

:lol: Gotta love Cori kicking ass like that! :rockon:

Zoots getting pissy over someone bashing a band/artist/corporate whore he likes? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

What the fuck is your problem, man? You must have some pent up rage against me or something. We all know how much you secretly enjoy Phil Collins and Bon Jovi. Just shut up and wait for the Def Leppard appreciation thread! :sexywink: :hi5:

What the fuck is your problem, man? You must have some pent up rage against me or something. We all know how much you secretly enjoy Phil Collins and Bon Jovi. Just shut up and wait for the Def Leppard appreciation thread! :sexywink: :hi5:

It's not pent up anymore. :)

Actually no. I figured it was done in jest. But it was comedy gold watching YOU get all worked up over a little sarcasm in a thread you hadn't even posted in till then!

Geez, lighten up, Ax!

:wink:

Worked up? Nah, I was just taking the piss out of you.

Hyuk hyuk.

I just watched the film for the first time a year ago.....it is a little dated, but it's hard not to like something with those three leads.....

Separate Lives does not do it for me like Against All Odds, but it's not a bad song by any means.

Here are other Genesis/Collins songs I legitimately like:

No Reply At All
Man on the Corner
Home by the Sea
Throwing it all Away
Turn it On Again
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
In Too Deep
I Don't Care Any More
Take me Home
One More Night

There you go, haters. Eat it.

Great list. I think people forget what it takes to write a truly great song that can still be appreciated 20+ years later, and most of those are timeless and excellent songwriting. Phil Collins had/has a serious gift.

Oh...and on the 'phail' collins bit. I got it, laughed, because of course it was funny... but still felt it might be going a bit too far because the OP might feel as if their idea was being openly mocked. I'm glad you changed it back Khan..this has been an otherwise great thread for me. And a great concept/idea for others, Zoots :up:

I just watched the film for the first time a year ago.....it is a little dated, but it's hard not to like something with those three leads.....

Separate Lives does not do it for me like Against All Odds, but it's not a bad song by any means.

Here are other Genesis/Collins songs I legitimately like:

No Reply At All
Man on the Corner
Home by the Sea
Throwing it all Away
Turn it On Again
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
In Too Deep
I Don't Care Any More
Take me Home
One More Night

There you go, haters. Eat it.

I agree, great list, very similar to mine. I would also add:

Misunderstanding
That's All
Invisible Touch
I Can't Dance
I Missed Again

They're mostly all Genesis, I know, but like I said, they're pretty much interchangeable to me.

For the record, while I'm a fan of older Genesis, I do like quite a bit of later Genesis. Duke is a great record.

As for his solo material, he had some good stuff through those first four albums. The first in particular is great.

You know what's even funnier? I know the song from that black & white Moonlighting episode, where was a film noir thing, in the 40s, and Cybill Shepard played a nightclub singer.

Possibly my favorite Moonlighting episode. Plus it was introduced by Orson Welles, who was a friend of Shepherd's at the time.

You're still alive, my old friend?

Let them eat interference.

Does anyone listen to This American Life on NPR? There's a great episode from a while back where one of the contributors contacts Phil Collins so he can help her write a break-up song. She picked Collins because she felt Against All Odds was the pinnacle of that type of song. Collins was hilarious, thoughtful, and a real good sport about it (not that she was making fun of him).

You can stream the whole episode here:

This American Life

It's the first part so you don't have to listen to the whole thing...

Oh...and on the 'phail' collins bit. I got it, laughed, because of course it was funny... but still felt it might be going a bit too far because the OP might feel as if their idea was being openly mocked. I'm glad you changed it back Khan..this has been an otherwise great thread for me. And a great concept/idea for others, Zoots :up:

Thanks for the compliment, Gabe.

And Khan, I did not mean to sound pissy towards you with that post. Actually I have always thought that the "phail collins" joke is funny ever since I saw it as your location, I think. In fact I sometimes accidentally type Phail Collins.... I guess cos of the overuse of Epic Phail and it amuses me to no end! I did not get worked up about it like Axver said but I did think it was going a bit too far to edit the title, it felt like a mod was saying to me "this is what you get for making a phil collins thread haha". But I figured it was only made in jest, so no hard feelings I hope.

For the record, while I'm a fan of older Genesis, I do like quite a bit of later Genesis. Duke is a great record.

As for his solo material, he had some good stuff through those first four albums. The first in particular is great.

Dude I know you lost power at home and everything but I was surprised you didn't comment on my We Can't Dance appreciation post here. I know you like that album, don't hide! ;)

Back
Top Bottom