U2, Michael Jackson and Madonna: the undisputed Rock Gods of our time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel Madonna gets to much credit for reinventing herself the last decade or so
IMO since Ray of Light her last couple of albums are just mediocre to good songs + lyrics that would mostly embarrass a 15 year old whipped into shape (sort of) by the producer of choice
seems to me that if you think that's reinventing yourself than you also reckon her version of American Pie is a good cover

And using Kate Bush as a beacon for relevance is quite a stretch.

Why does his music have to be 'relevant?' Why can't it just be good music?

I love David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Rush, and Black Sabbath. None of these artists are really breaking any new ground with their new music, but they still make good music. That's why I listen to it. I think too many people put pressure on Michael Jackson to break new ground musically; his past and future music should be taken as either good or bad, not because it's 'groundbreaking.'

Out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd say U2 are closest to attaining the title of "Rock God of our time" ...unfortunately, I don't think they quite have it. Coldplay are *the* band as far as modern rock music is concerned. Do I think they'll have the longevity and as venerable a career as U2? Absolutely not. It's no fault on U2's part, mind you. It's surprising as hell that, since '84, U2 have been a prominent force in music (with varied degrees of success, but success nonetheless). It's only natural that, due to the pop musical climate primarily being decided by the 15-25 demographic, U2's popularity has waned (though, again, still relatively very popular... but mainly in part for the band's history as opposed to recent music triumphs - an aid as well as a hindrance).

Out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd say U2 are closest to attaining the title of "Rock God of our time" ...unfortunately, I don't think they quite have it. Coldplay are *the* band as far as modern rock music is concerned. Do I think they'll have the longevity and as venerable a career as U2? Absolutely not. It's no fault on U2's part, mind you. It's surprising as hell that, since '84, U2 have been a prominent force in music (with varied degrees of success, but success nonetheless). It's only natural that, due to the pop musical climate primarily being decided by the 15-25 demographic, U2's popularity has waned (though, again, still relatively very popular... but mainly in part for the band's history as opposed to recent music triumphs - an aid as well as a hindrance).

Coldplay isnt rock
they are for people who wet the bed at 25 and have sleepless nights over whether or not their carbon footprint is a size 8 or 9

I dont consider any of those musicians/ bands as "rock"

Michael Jackson is certainly not rock (and most people who like his music now a days are usually embarrassed to say they are a fan of him...which is unfortunate because he made some good music.) but yes, him and madonna are "idols" but not "rock idols"

and I wouldnt really consider U2 a rock band either. Coldplay certainly isnt strictly rock and neither is radiohead, so I dont consider U2 a rock band. Nickelback is a rock band. U2 is more along the lines of art rock/ experimental rock/ alternative rock than just straightforward music.

so if you are asking for the 3 musical idols of our time, then possibly those 3 would count... but I wouldnt consider them 'rock' gods.

Coldplay isnt rock
they are for people who wet the bed at 25 and have sleepless nights over whether or not their carbon footprint is a size 8 or 9

Your finest Interference moment to date.

and I wouldnt really consider U2 a rock band either. Coldplay certainly isnt strictly rock and neither is radiohead, so I dont consider U2 a rock band. Nickelback is a rock band. U2 is more along the lines of art rock/ experimental rock/ alternative rock than just straightforward music.

You don't think U2 are rock, yet you used that word after "art", "experimental" and "alternative". Hmm. A band doesn't have to be RAWK to be rock.

You don't think U2 are rock, yet you used that word after "art", "experimental" and "alternative". Hmm. A band doesn't have to be RAWK to be rock.

true. i can agree with that. I guess when i think of rock personally, I just think of like heavy metal and just standard guitar/bass/drums at loud volume. But, yes you are right there are many definition to rock music.

Back
Top Bottom