U2, Michael Jackson and Madonna: the undisputed Rock Gods of our time? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #31
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:32 AM
I feel Madonna gets to much credit for reinventing herself the last decade or so
IMO since Ray of Light her last couple of albums are just mediocre to good songs + lyrics that would mostly embarrass a 15 year old whipped into shape (sort of) by the producer of choice
seems to me that if you think that's reinventing yourself than you also reckon her version of American Pie is a good cover

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #32
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
And using Kate Bush as a beacon for relevance is quite a stretch.
Why does his music have to be 'relevant?' Why can't it just be good music?

I love David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Rush, and Black Sabbath. None of these artists are really breaking any new ground with their new music, but they still make good music. That's why I listen to it. I think too many people put pressure on Michael Jackson to break new ground musically; his past and future music should be taken as either good or bad, not because it's 'groundbreaking.'

Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Why does his music have to be 'relevant?' Why can't it just be good music?
Because this thread is about whether or not Jackson, Madonna and U2 can still be considered the king/queen of rock. And it's 2009.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd say U2 are closest to attaining the title of "Rock God of our time" ...unfortunately, I don't think they quite have it. Coldplay are *the* band as far as modern rock music is concerned. Do I think they'll have the longevity and as venerable a career as U2? Absolutely not. It's no fault on U2's part, mind you. It's surprising as hell that, since '84, U2 have been a prominent force in music (with varied degrees of success, but success nonetheless). It's only natural that, due to the pop musical climate primarily being decided by the 15-25 demographic, U2's popularity has waned (though, again, still relatively very popular... but mainly in part for the band's history as opposed to recent music triumphs - an aid as well as a hindrance).
Old 05-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #35
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Because this thread is about whether or not Jackson, Madonna and U2 can still be considered the king/queen of rock. And it's 2009.
Yes, this.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #36
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 05:32 AM
Run (or maybe it's DMC) is technically the King of Rock. There is none higher. MJ, Madonna and U2 should call him sire.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd say U2 are closest to attaining the title of "Rock God of our time" ...unfortunately, I don't think they quite have it. Coldplay are *the* band as far as modern rock music is concerned. Do I think they'll have the longevity and as venerable a career as U2? Absolutely not. It's no fault on U2's part, mind you. It's surprising as hell that, since '84, U2 have been a prominent force in music (with varied degrees of success, but success nonetheless). It's only natural that, due to the pop musical climate primarily being decided by the 15-25 demographic, U2's popularity has waned (though, again, still relatively very popular... but mainly in part for the band's history as opposed to recent music triumphs - an aid as well as a hindrance).
Coldplay isnt rock
they are for people who wet the bed at 25 and have sleepless nights over whether or not their carbon footprint is a size 8 or 9
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #38
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
I dont consider any of those musicians/ bands as "rock"

Michael Jackson is certainly not rock (and most people who like his music now a days are usually embarrassed to say they are a fan of him...which is unfortunate because he made some good music.) but yes, him and madonna are "idols" but not "rock idols"

and I wouldnt really consider U2 a rock band either. Coldplay certainly isnt strictly rock and neither is radiohead, so I dont consider U2 a rock band. Nickelback is a rock band. U2 is more along the lines of art rock/ experimental rock/ alternative rock than just straightforward music.

so if you are asking for the 3 musical idols of our time, then possibly those 3 would count... but I wouldnt consider them 'rock' gods.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Coldplay isnt rock
they are for people who wet the bed at 25 and have sleepless nights over whether or not their carbon footprint is a size 8 or 9
That has made my day
Old 05-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Coldplay isnt rock
Your finest Interference moment to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
and I wouldnt really consider U2 a rock band either. Coldplay certainly isnt strictly rock and neither is radiohead, so I dont consider U2 a rock band. Nickelback is a rock band. U2 is more along the lines of art rock/ experimental rock/ alternative rock than just straightforward music.
You don't think U2 are rock, yet you used that word after "art", "experimental" and "alternative". Hmm. A band doesn't have to be RAWK to be rock.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

madonna lives a block from my girlfriend in manhattan. that's my only contribution to this thread.

good day.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #42
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

You don't think U2 are rock, yet you used that word after "art", "experimental" and "alternative". Hmm. A band doesn't have to be RAWK to be rock.
true. i can agree with that. I guess when i think of rock personally, I just think of like heavy metal and just standard guitar/bass/drums at loud volume. But, yes you are right there are many definition to rock music.