U2 is your favorite band....right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My all-time top 10 is probably something to the effect of:

1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. U2
4. Beck
5. Pink Floyd
6. David Bowie
7. Radiohead
8. Steely Dan
9. The Kinks
10. Blur

I'd put Achtung Baby in my top five album list. But U2 wouldn't be in my top ten artist list.

But who are these... it's a familiar name. :hmm::hmm:

Laz is better at zealous rants about artists he loves than I am, so I'm sure he'll chime in on this, but Steely Dan is a wonderful group. Very much an acquired taste, they balance literary/pop culture allusions and cynical, absurd lyrical themes with nearly sterile studio gloss. They're total studio perfectionists, and the albums are waxed and polished to a level that would make '00s U2 blush. As far as the kind of music they play, Steely Dan covers quite a bit of ground. Albums like Pretzel Logic try everything from blues rock, to jangle pop, to bebop. But what you can always expect from Steely Dan is fucking awesome guitar work. See the following:

YouTube - Steely Dan-Kid Charlemagne

YouTube - The Boston Rag - Steely Dan

YouTube - Night By Night - Steely Dan

Laz is better at zealous rants about artists he loves than I am, so I'm sure he'll chime in on this, but Steely Dan is a wonderful group. Very much an acquired taste, they balance literary/pop culture allusions and cynical, absurd lyrical themes with nearly sterile studio gloss. They're total studio perfectionists, and the albums are waxed and polished to a level that would make '00s U2 blush. As far as the kind of music they play, Steely Dan covers quite a bit of ground. Albums like Pretzel Logic try everything from blues rock, to jangle pop, to bebop. But what you can always expect from Steely Dan is fucking awesome guitar work. See the following:

Hmmm.. thanks for post those links.
Not exactly the kind of stuff I'm used to listen, but yes, good stuff. I'll be downloading some stuff from this guys for sure. Again, thanks for the links. :D

And yes, some good guitars going on here indeed. :hmm::hmm:

Laz is better at zealous rants about artists he loves than I am, so I'm sure he'll chime in on this, but Steely Dan is a wonderful group. Very much an acquired taste, they balance literary/pop culture allusions and cynical, absurd lyrical themes with nearly sterile studio gloss. They're total studio perfectionists, and the albums are waxed and polished to a level that would make '00s U2 blush. As far as the kind of music they play, Steely Dan covers quite a bit of ground. Albums like Pretzel Logic try everything from blues rock, to jangle pop, to bebop. But what you can always expect from Steely Dan is fucking awesome guitar work.

It should be noted that they really veered heavily into jazz/rock fusion with their last couple albums, and the guitars, while present, were much less pronounced in favor of the rhythm section and horns with some pretty elaborate charts.

This stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the Aja album was HUGE when it came out, and is considered along with Dark Side of the Moon to be the ultimate stereo "tester". I'd say it's pretty essential listening, even if you wind up preferring the rock sound of the earlier albums. A taste:

YouTube - Steely Dan - Black Cow

And the song based on The Odyssey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBLg4TYN1U

I'd suggest getting Countdown to Ecstasy (their second album) first, which covers a lot of musical ground in its 8 tracks. From there one could move on to Pretzel Logic, dive right into Aja, or try The Royal Scam, which despite being a guitar-heavy album in parts, is a nice transition into the jazz stuff.

top 20 bands I did for atease awhile back:

[020] Mogwai
[019] The Velvet Underground
[018] Talking Heads
[017] Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
[016] The Flaming Lips
[015] Joy Division/New Order
[014] U2
[013] Nine Inch Nails
[012] Pavement
[011] Belle and Sebastian
[010] Modest Mouse
[009] Sonic Youth
[008] Brian Eno
[007] Neil Young
[006] Rush
[005] Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
[004] Yo La Tengo
[003] Radiohead
[002] Wilco
[001] R.E.M.

U2 is like the opposite of Blink 182 lol. I personally cant stand them and I find them unimaginative and annoying, but maybe I just havent heard them enough. I never thought I would hear Blink 182 ever mentioned on this forum haha

haha yeah I know. Im so happy they got back together.

Listen to their slef-titeled album, you'll probably find it much different than you think it will sound like. Its a lot like achtung baby, in a sense. :up:

I'd suggest getting Countdown to Ecstasy (their second album) first, which covers a lot of musical ground in its 8 tracks. From there one could move on to Pretzel Logic, dive right into Aja, or try The Royal Scam, which despite being a guitar-heavy album in parts, is a nice transition into the jazz stuff.

I would agree with this. Countdown has grown on me a lot recently, and the only reason it didn't hit me immediately is because it doesn't represent the jazzier side all that prominently, which used to be almost exclusively what I listened to the band for. As a matter of fact, Aja is still my favorite, and one of the very best albums I've ever heard.

I have heard Aja is the shit.

haha yeah I know. Im so happy they got back together.

Listen to their slef-titeled album, you'll probably find it much different than you think it will sound like. Its a lot like achtung baby, in a sense. :up:
Do you think they sold out with it? I like that album personally, still listen to it every now and then. Stockholm Syndrome ftw
In Ghost Colours.

Cut Copy. Melbourne lads.

We are their tribe!
Yes, I thought they were Melburnians. I wanted to check them out...

I have heard Aja is the shit.

That it is. IGC sounds equally good to me these days, but they couldn't be any more different if they tried, so I'm not sure why I'm discussing them both in the same post. Just convenient I suppose.

BVS, when did you change your avatar? What happened to that pretty girl you had as your picture that made me think you were female until I realized that you were not lol :reject: ?

I changed it last week...:D

The pretty girl never returned my calls, texts, packages, or emails... and then for some reason I was no longer allowed to stay in certain hotels. So I got bored of her...

I'm gonna start calling you BonoVoxSuperstar now, and everyone else should too, just to annoy him.

Strange choice of avatar though, you hardly ever use that smiley...

Nope, now I'm their biggest fan!

Actually, it's a dumb placeholder until I can think of something else. Was working the respect thing a little overdrive.
A true genious knows his limits.

I'm gonna start calling you BonoVoxSuperstar now, and everyone else should too, just to annoy him.

Strange choice of avatar though, you hardly ever use that smiley...

A true genious knows his limits.

My sig idea was going to be Daniel Kerr and Dean Cox photoshopped in front of a big :fuckyeah:, but I'm beginning to think that might serve as an embarrassment this year rather than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom