U2 is your favorite band....right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I was to include solo artists, PJ Harvey would be my absolute no. 1. But U2 are still my favourite band after nine years or so. Mind you, in the last two years I've transferred a lot of the obsessive behaviour that was formerly exclusive to U2 onto Muse, but in the end they're still boys. U2 are men, :wink:

Muse is a great band. I hate how they are always compared to radiohead because they are so different :doh:

New Born is a fantastic song, as is a lot of their other music.
Its hard for me to listen to Muse anymore though because it reminds me of a kind of bad part of my life where I happened to have listened to a lot of muse :huh:

Great thread. U2 and REM will always be my Beatles and Stones. Always.

Back in the day, I was so into 10,000 Maniacs, Lone Justice, Waterboys, Alarm, etc.

Lately, I am madly in love with My Morning Jacket, White Stripes/Raconteurs, Ryan Adams, Flaming Lips, Kings of Leon, Band of Horses, TV on the Radio, Jenny Lewis, lots of 'freak folk,' you get the idea.

I was starting to fall for the Killers and Coldplay around 05-06, but it didn't work out.

I saw Bruce last year twice and was so grateful to have that experience, but he doesn't quite "get me" in "that place." Neither does Radiohead, but they do come close.

My last.fm top 10 from the last year:

1. R.E.M.
2. The Flaming Lips
3. Okkervil River
4. Pavement
5. The Beatles
6. Explosions in the Sky
7. The National
8. The Shins
9. Ben Harper
10. Built to Spill

Ben Harper comes in at a close 11th.

I look pretty indietastic from that list though. :lol:

:lol: Just went back and realized that my 11th place comment made no sense...that was supposed to be Radiohead in 11th. And, U2 comes in at 12th, so recently, they're obviously not my favorite band.

Lou Reed/VU, Tom Waits and U2 are my consistent favorites...I wouldn't bother trying to rank them though, I go back and forth too much. As far as stuff generally considered 'pop/rock', I also really like Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Bjork, Prince, Lyle Lovett, Public Enemy, Leo Kottke, REM, Beastie Boys, and Los Lobos, though with any one of those I might well go for months without listening to them. I also listen to a fair amount of blues, classical, Bollywood (a guilty pleasure, sort of), and Jewish music.

U2 are and always will be my absolute favourite band. They're just that incredible. :up:

I am also trying to discover more music to expand my interests, but anyway, U2 will always be da numba won!!11!1!1!!11!!!

U2 = soundtrack to a lot of my life and perhaps will always be the top dog, but discovering other music in recent years (thanks to great forums like this) has meant not listening to them so much anymore = ditto a lot of other folks here.

I wish I could explain what U2 meant to me around 1991-95. It was pretty heady stuff, guys. Wouldn't have the energy to satirise them now otherwise. But yeah, it's been a long haul since then.

Let's see now.

Nope, no 'favourite' band per se.

But, Radiohead, The National, Massive Attack, (some) Wilco, Neko Case, Nick Cave, and many others, occupy my time.

i've got two favorite bands: u2 (since 1981) and the rolling stones (since 1986). i cannot rank these two.

my alltime favorite record would be exile on main street though, with pop at number 2

runners up are radiohead and velvet underground/lou reed

I don't have last.fm on this laptop, so I have no idea what my recent top 10 most listened-to artists are, but if I were to venture a guess, they would include, in no particular order:

U2 (I've listened to NLOTH around 20 or so times since it leaked, so that pretty much puts them atop the list by default)
Big Star
Neil Young
The Velvet Underground
Elliott Smith
Outkast
Simon & Garfunkel
Super Furry Animals
Cut Copy
Built To Spill

Teenage Fanclub and The Byrds are in there as well.

Seriously though, start with Alligator. You'll be hooked from the first second of "Secret Meeting."

Hmm... just listened to this. Some really nice songs here. I find the vocals a little annoying, but it's interesting. I'll give a few more listens before say anything else though.

Hmm... just listened to this. Some really nice songs here. I find the vocals a little annoying, but it's interesting. I'll give a few more listens before say anything else though.

The vocals are an acquired taste in the best way possible.

Daughters of the Soho Riots :drool:

I don't have last.fm on this laptop, so I have no idea what my recent top 10 most listened-to artists are, but if I were to venture a guess, they would include, in no particular order:

U2 (I've listened to NLOTH around 20 or so times since it leaked, so that pretty much puts them atop the list by default)
Big Star
Neil Young
The Velvet Underground
Elliott Smith
Outkast
Simon & Garfunkel
Super Furry Animals
Cut Copy
Built To Spill

only 20 times? I think I've listened to it 100 :lol:

VU and Outkast, nice

my History of Rock 'n Roll teacher loved Big Star. I'll have to check 'em out.

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Radiohead
4. David Bowie
5. The Who
6. Arcade Fire
7. Pink Floyd
8. The Clash
9. Led Zeppelin
10. John Frusciante

Big Star
Neil Young
The Velvet Underground
Elliott Smith
Outkast
Simon & Garfunkel
Super Furry Animals
Cut Copy
Built To Spill

I'm rather surprised to see Cut Copy so high, even though I knew you liked them. Is their first album any good? Like a whole bunch of people, I only have IGC.

I'm rather surprised to see Cut Copy so high, even though I knew you liked them. Is their first album any good? Like a whole bunch of people, I only have IGC.

Their first album is okay. It's telling that I've only listened to it twice whilst listening to the second album nearly 100 times. (It's one of the cds I burned for listening to at work)

When I joined this forum four years ago, U2 was probably my third or fourth favorite band, behind Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and the Who.

Since then, my tastes have undergone quite an evolution. Although I still thoroughly enjoy U2, them, and most of my other old time favorites (see above) have fallen out of favor towards newer stuff, such as The National, Broken Social Scene, Okkervil River, Joanna Newsom, as well as classical music (which I just recently got into).

Regardless of how much I still listen to U2, I still come to this board because I like the community here, and there are still opportunities to discuss other music regardless.:wink:

100... hahaha you guys make me laugh. I have listened to NLOTH at least 1,000 times. Just kidding, but seriously, I think magnificent has 159 plays on my itunes :cute:
:lol: My most played song on itunes, since I got my lappy probably this time last year, is bulls on Parade, by Rage, with 20 plays.

I still haven't heard it. I wouldn't consider Cut Copy one of my favorite bands, but I've played the hell out of IGC lately.

The Ramones, favorite

Others
The National
Nortec Collective
Talking Heads
Springsteen
Daft Punk

U2 somewhere but less a top fave

I still haven't heard it. I wouldn't consider Cut Copy one of my favorite bands, but I've played the hell out of IGC lately.

Oh right, I think I confused this thread with some one that's relatively similar to it. I'd pick up the debut sometime but there's so much good new stuff right now that I doubt I'll find the time to buy it anytime soon.

So uh, yeah, the rest of that list is pretty dope.

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen

:drool::drool::drool:

Beyond this I find it really hard to rank.

I think for me it's...

1. U2
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. The Beatles

But in my mind U2 is the greatest band to ever walk the earth :bow:

The Beatles may have had more cultural impact, and been more a phenomenon, but in terms of music I don't think anyone can even rival U2. IMHO :wink:

When I first signed up they were my favourite.

But now Radiohead are the kings of my ears.

Back
Top Bottom