U2 is your favorite band....right??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cannot let Mr. Mac out do me, here's my top 10 on Last FM:

1. Okkervil River
2. Idlewild
3. Radiohead
4. Sigur Ros
5. The National
6. Shuttlecock
7. The Cure
8. The Shins
9. Low
10. Beirut

:lol:
Btw, any recommendations on The National? I always hear about this but I never listened.

:lol:
Btw, any recommendations on The National?

Everything.

I'll go for an "at the moment" ranking for my all time favorites, I guess it would include the following ten in some sort of order.

The National
Radiohead
Wilco
The Flaming Lips
Ryan Adams
Shuttlecock U2
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Broken Social Scene
My Morning Jacket

Well, their two Takeaway Shows were really good. "Start a War" around the dinner table and "Ada" in front of a little chapel. Wonderful stuff. I just want the portion of my life I spent watching A Skin, A Night back.

Seriously though, start with Alligator. You'll be hooked from the first second of "Secret Meeting."

Seriously though, start with Alligator. You'll be hooked from the first second of "Secret Meeting."

Ok, thanks!
I'll be listening to this asap. Probably tomorrow since I'm already downloading a lot of Super Furry Animals stuff here. (u2popmofo won't like this :wink: Although, if I like it, I'll buy it. And I'm serious on this.)

U2 overtook Bruce Springsteen as my favorite band/artist back in 1987. They have remained No. 1 for me ever since. Bruce made a strong bid for reclaiming the No. 1 spot for me in recent years, but then Bruce released Working on a Dream and U2 released No Line on the Horizon. Since NLOTH > WOAD, U2 retains the #1 spot.

there seems to be a lot of U2 & Bruce fans and U2 & radiohead fans. I guess U2's music translates well to both RH and bruce??

my good friend whose favorite band is U2 has Bruce as a second favorite. and so do many people on this forum.

and from what ive read, it seems Radiohead is the second most frequently mentioned band on this forum after U2.

Well, Radiohead may be the second most frequently mentioned band in this subforum. But in EYKIW, Coldplay's probably mentioned more.

Radiohead and I have a love-hate relationship. Sometimes I love 'em and sometimes I hate 'em. But then again, my taste isn't on par with the average U2 fan as I dislike Springsteen and R.E.M.

I have to say that this sub-forum has really helped me expand my musical horizons quite a bit so I have to give mad props to the regulars in here for pointing me in good directions, offering good advice and even sending me some new music now and then :hi5:
:up: for B&C
yes, since 1991. i will never "get" another band or care about another band as much as i care about U2. they've provided the soundtrack to a great portion of my life, good times and especially bad, and i have forged a deep emotional connection to several of their albums.

however, i'll go months without listening to them. lots of other music will rise to the top of my playlist for a while. i'll become obsessed with other bands at different points, and i also have a deep love for several other bands as well.

but there's an endurance to my relationship with U2 that no other band can touch. simply, they came along at exactly the right point in my life, and remain, to this day, the only band that (ultimately) matters.

Realistically, my favorite band still producing new music is R.E.M. Easily. They haven't made a single album in their career I dislike (though AtS comes somewhat close), or a single song I truly hate. For my money, they've been the most consistently excellent band I've encountered, and are responsible for my favorite song in the whole wide woooorld.

ATYCLB & The Bomb > Reveal and Around the Sun.

Contrary to your perspective, I have never been more disappointed by a band I love than I was with R.E.M. in the 00's (until Accelerate, which was a decent step up). Tuneless snoozefests, both of them, and when you compare them to the two mellow 90's albums you can see the difference.

Realistically, my favorite band still producing new music is R.E.M. Easily. They haven't made a single album in their career I dislike (though AtS comes somewhat close), or a single song I truly hate. For my money, they've been the most consistently excellent band I've encountered, and are responsible for my favorite song in the whole wide woooorld.

and your favorite song would be??

Contrary to your perspective, I have never been more disappointed by a band I love than I was with R.E.M. in the 00's (until Accelerate, which was a decent step up). Tuneless snoozefests, both of them, and when you compare them to the two mellow 90's albums you can see the difference.

I agree with every word written here.

So do I.

The turn of the ol' century was when U2 and REM stopped jockeying for my number one band position, and U2 took over their stronghold on that title.

I hear you, though my hatred for The Bomb runs rather deep, and I'd disagree there. Whereas ATYCLB is one of my top favorite Shuttlecock albums. Still, there are moments on Reveal I truly adore. However, those are the two dark spots on their otherwise illustrious career, and I don't dislike either the way I dislike HTDAAB.

last.fm cannot lie

1. U2 3,805
2. Radiohead 998
3. Bloc Party 965

U2 wins :wink:

seriously though, U2 has been my favourite band since I was nine. There are times when I listen to other bands way more, but I recently listened to nothing but U2 for over a month straight :D

Country Feedback was my wedding song.

I'm divorced now, but that's not the point.

U2 is my favorite band. Fiona Apple is my favorite artist. But if someone said to me you can only listen to/see one of them live for the rest of your life, I would choose Fiona.

If I was to include solo artists, PJ Harvey would be my absolute no. 1. But U2 are still my favourite band after nine years or so. Mind you, in the last two years I've transferred a lot of the obsessive behaviour that was formerly exclusive to U2 onto Muse, but in the end they're still boys. U2 are men, :wink:

last.fm cannot lie

1. U2 3,805
2. Radiohead 998
3. Bloc Party 965

U2 wins :wink:

seriously though, U2 has been my favourite band since I was nine. There are times when I listen to other bands way more, but I recently listened to nothing but U2 for over a month straight :D
i thought you were just coming in to say ungh!
:(

I feel like many people here - U2 used to be my favorite band until I started to read B&C, use last.fm and read music websites like Pitchfork (yes, Pitchfork, get over it). I have been introduced to too much good music to be able to rank them. U2 is still a favorite, I listen to them frequently and probably won't have the same type of emotional attachment to any other band (nor knowledge of the band's history, for that matter). But as of lately, my favorite bands are Radiohead, National, Wilco and Andrew Bird.

My last.fm top 10 from the last year:

1. R.E.M.
2. The Flaming Lips
3. Okkervil River
4. Pavement
5. The Beatles
6. Explosions in the Sky
7. The National
8. The Shins
9. Ben Harper
10. Built to Spill

Ben Harper comes in at a close 11th.