Twilight Singers, Afghan Whigs, Gutter Twins, Greg Dulli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
So I'm on a Greg Dulli kick right now. I've always meant to check out the Afghan Whigs (more than the cursory glance I gave them 20+ years ago), and have heard great things about the Twilight Singer from people whose musical taste I trust -- yet I never bothered to check them out either.

But over the past couple of weeks Dulli is back on my radar in a big way, so I decided to listen to a few songs on YouTube a couple of days ago. 50+ Twilight Singers songs later it was 7 am and I was buzzing. I know I liked a lot of the songs, but now I need to figure out what to get first. I like to listen to music best in album form, so any advice on what Twilight Singers albums to get to start is appreciated.

I do want to give the Afghan Whigs a fair shake also, so if anyone can suggest an album or two to start with, that would be great.

Also, I did notice I wasn't thrilled with the couple of songs Mark Lanegan sings on, so are the Gutter Twins albums Dulli enough to be worth me considering?

What about Dulli solo? Worth giving a go?

Black Love for sure, though I imagine many old school fans would suggest the harder, previous album Gentlemen. It's powerful but considerably abrasive, and not just musically as Dulli turns a very critical mirror on himself lyrically.

As for the Twilight Singers, my personal favorite is the sophomore effort Blackberry Belle. The covers album She Loves You is a lot of fun, and Powder Burns is another strong one.

The one solo Dulli album (Amber Headlights) isn't noticeably different from the other Twilight stuff.

The Gutter Twins have many supporters, but I'm not into it as much as the Whigs/Twilight.

I decided what the hell and took the plunge and a bunch of cds -- five albums and an ep from the Twilight Singers; the Gutter Twins Saturnalia; and three (including Black Love) from the Afghan Whigs. Should be a fun few weeks getting to know these. :)

I've been giving the Twilight Singers material a good flogging and they are definitely a keeper for me. There are several songs I like on each album -- so far I'm finding TS consistently good. I have noticed on my plays that Powder Burns has the most -- it is very strong. I also picked (well...downloaded) the live in New York release -- I feel like I need a cold shower after listening to it! Dulli certainly brings the goods....

Absolutely loving the Whigs. I bought Gentlemen, Black Love, and 1965 and enjoy them all. I'm going to pick up Congregation soon. Not sure I'll go back further. I'm hoping they tour again soonish so I can see them. Wouldn't mind seeing the Twilight Singers live either, but right now more seems to be simmering with AW.

Greg certainly looks like he was feeling pretty yesterday:

:)

Absolutely loving the Whigs. I bought Gentlemen, Black Love, and 1965 and enjoy them all.

I'm a big fan of "1965"; love that album! It's probably the most accessible of the three you bought. "Gentlemen" will always have a special place in my heart, though, because I was just a young guy back then when that album came out, and my friends and I would listen to it over and over.

I have good memories of The Afghan Whigs.

Ah, what the hell. I'll give this ancient thread a bump:

This new album is blowing my mind. Have I completely forgotten what these guys sound like or is this album outside the norm?

Regardless, I'm in love. This might be my favorite record of the year.

Ok, I'm relistening to Black Love for the first time in forever, and yeah, I did just forget what they sound like.

I'm glad Cobbler brought up their new album. I might not have listened to it otherwise, but probably would've. Ended up listening to Gentlemen yesterday as well. Not sure why I don't play this band on the regular. They're so my speed.

Back
Top Bottom