TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really hate having to come in here to post this, but Gerard Smith died this morning. :(

The next five shows are canceled, including the one I was supposed to see on Saturday, but I don't even care, that's some tragic shit. He was only 34.

TV On The Radio | Official Site

I need to add to the chorus of incredulity about his passing. It is a tragedy for anyone to die so young.

:sad: That's so sad, especially considering how recently he was diagnosed. I'm sure it took the wind out of the band's sails for this album release, my prayers are with his family & the band.

So, today on Palladia they showed the Nine Types of Light "movie" and I really, really enjoyed it.

It's about an hour long and features a music video for each of the album's tracks (I really liked the clips for Will Do and Keep Your Heart, among others), and some other little cool stuff - like a running set of interviews with random people talking about life, dreams, love, fame, etc.

And then the highlight: a sequence that tells the fictional story of the band breaking up and meeting a year later at a diner to have an awkward "How have you been?" reunion.

The scene is fantastic, and we get to see Tunde running around in full Chappelle's Show-esque Prince costume. These guys are funny, and this little short scene made me like the band so much more than I already did. You can tell that they're good, close friends, and seeing them having fun like this makes Gerard Smith's death all the more heartbreaking.

If you are at all a fan of this band, this movie is a definite must see.

Finally listened to this. It's good, not sure how often, if at all, I'll come back to it though. It's certainly eclectic. It's also the first TVOTR album I've heard.

Will Do, Caffeinated Consciousness, Cannonball Run, No Future Shock are all pretty great but Second Song is definitely my favourite, one of the better songs I've heard this year. Love those horns and the falsetto.

Cranking up Dear Science right now to get myself pumped for P4k, which I hope will in turn help me fall for the new album. TWO MORE DAYS. :hyper:

On September 6, TV on the Radio will release the EP World Cafe Live, recorded during the band's performance for NPR's "World Cafe" radio show. The EP includes three songs from the band's latest LP, Nine Types of Light, as well as the Dear Sciencecut "Red Dress". The performance of Dear Science's "Province" appears on the CD and vinyl versions of the EP. We have the tracklist for you below, as well as the band's tour dates. Watch the video for NToL single "Second Song" (which originally appeared on the DVD companion to the album) below as well.

World Cafe Live:

01 Caffeinated Consciousness
02 Will Do
03 Red Dress
04 Province (CD and 12” vinyl only)
05 Repetition

Pretty awesome that for once physical versions get an extra track, not the stupid digital version.

Nice. Totes getting that. It would've been cool to have a different Dear Science track than "Red Dress," but we'll survive.

Forgotten is my new favourite. Love the way he sings, "and who's for dinner..." can't wait to see them live.

powerhour24 said:
I'm seeing these cool kids in September on a double bill with Broken Social Scene :D.

How was it?

Back
Top Bottom