Triple J's 2011 Album of the Year Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
2011 Album poll Place Vote

This is the "alternative" radio station I spend the majority of the year bitching about, because of their propensity for playing that dubstep, incredibly dull Australian indie/folk (very similar to Foster the People's hideously overrated Pumped Up Kicks) and Australian hip-hop (aka The Bane of My Existence).

But I do love voting in their polls, because they do occasionally play good music, and are much, much better than the alternatives. Their Hottest 100 poll (will come next month) is the world's largest fan-voted song-of-the-year poll, they pulled in 100,000+ votes last year.

Anyway, if you feel like voting for your 10 favourite albums, do so at the link above. There's a shortlist and you should find most of your picks on there already, but you can add your own if it's not there. I'll post the results when they go up (usually December I think?).

I made this thread because I feel like there's enough of us who talk about triple j and these threads usually make good discussion. I also make it because maybe, with input from you good folk, who have good taste, one terribly overrated album might get pushed out by a good one.

My picks, no order (and will change when I do my interference end-of-year list):

Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
Destroyer - Kaputt
Jay-Z/Kanye West - Watch The Throne
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Radiohead - King Of Limbs
St. Vincent - Strange Mercy
TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
Washed Out - Within and Without

Pumped Up Kicks was alright before it had that incredibly surprising mainstream revival period this year.

Bon Iver - Bon Iver
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
TV On The Radio - Nine Types Of Light
Washed Out - Within and Without

Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
Cut Copy - Zonoscope
Neon Indian - Era Extrana
War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
Okkervil River - I Am Very Far
The Antlers - Burst Apart

I scrolled through the list and I've heard 4 of them. I'm so old! :cute:

But JJJ gives me the shits these days, whenever I tune in, it seems to be doof doof hour. I'm such a snob I listen to 3D or Classic FM :lol:

I'll vote, as much as JJJ shits me, especially that tosspot Kingsmill, but the fact remains that JJJ are the the only popular, widely accessible Australian radio station who may play an Elbow, Editors or Interpol song.

They never cheer for these bands, (no, that's reserved for Boy and Bear at the moment), yet playing these bands upholds their "alternative-ness" from other Aussie radio stations,

After two years out of the country, I was surprised at just how bad Triple J had gotten when I was back in Sydney recently.

About a decade ago, they came under a lot of pressure to justify their budget. They were pulling decent coin from things like the Hottest 100 CD's, but they were spending way more than that, and even though 'ratings' technically don't matter for ABC stations, the Howard Govt was too easily pointing to their rising costs and dropping listenership and threatening heavy cuts. New management was brought in, and they made a point of re-aligning the station, back to what they thought it really was meant to be (and had drifted from), i.e., it's not an Alternative/Indie Music station, it's a Youth station, and they should go for the wider youth market. Anyway, that's where the shift happened. It was very different in the 90s. But then people older than me complain that it went to shit the minute it went national, so I guess it's one of those things. I've always thought it should be split in two. I see they're doing that now, with this dedicated Unearthed station, but it would have been nice to have the wider 'popular' JJJ, and then a JJJ-2 or something that was a bit more left field.

I shudder to think what will win, and to be honest I don't think it's been a great year for music in any case. Which, in fairness, isn't a radio station's fault... although I can and do bitch plenty about JJJ's very, um, lowest-common-denominator focus nowadays.

I can't think of three, let alone ten, albums that I would put on any list from this year. In fairness, that's not coming from a place of being so high-and-mighty, but more from a place of, I've only had occasion to listen to maybe three actual albums released this year (albums; songs is another story). But I've heard enough songs to know that I'd want to run a mile from some of the contendors. Bon Iver; no. Arctic Monkeys; no. Don. Doesn't. Do. No.

There's stuff like Mogwai that I 'quite like', but it sure as hell isn't going on some top-ten list.

Not Radiohead, for maybe the first time in many years. King of Limbs isn't the end of the line for them, I have great confidence in their future activities, but no. Just no.

PJ Harvey, maybe. Let England Shake is an interesting departure for her, albeit a bit repetitive after a while. Oh and there's the new Wilco, maybe... although I've only listened to 'One Sunday Morning' (and love it), but that's after two dud records... meh... get around to it at some point.

I'm getting old.

Voted Noel Gallagher only since my other top albums from this year are foreign and not on the list.

The only thing I know about JJJ is they put together the Midnight Oil show on Goat Island in Syndey Harbour back in 1985. I think it was on JJJ's 10th anniversary. Midnight Oil released the show on CD/DVD a few years ago. One of favorite live shows from one of my favorite live bands.

I am too lazy to look through that whole list and try and pick some of my favorites. That said, I love the 'End of Year--Best Of' lists on B&C. Its where I discover all of the great music I missed during the year.

Just going to bump this thread again as now they have the Hottest 100 up and running - Hottest 100 - 2011 | triple j

The largest fan-voted poll in the world, with more than 100,000 votes each year. Please join in and add some goddam credibility to the list.

Here were my picks (no order)

Bon Iver - Perth
Destroyer - Kaputt
M83 - Midnight City
Thundercat - Daylight
TV on the Radio - Will Do
The National - Exile/Vilify
Radiohead - Separator
St Vincent - Cruel
Tyler - She
Joe Goddard - Gabriel

My top 10 was:

St. Vincent - Surgeon
Cut Copy - Alisa
The National - Exile Vilify
Destroyer - Chinatown
The War On Drugs - Brothers
CunninLynguists - Stars Shine Brightest (In The Darkest of Night)
M83 - Midnight City
Kurt Vile - Baby's Arms
Wilco - Black Moon
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Exile Vilify I placed #1.

Some of my favorites from this year are

1. Dawes Nothing is Wrong
2. Cut Copy Zonoscope
3. Portugal The Man In the Mountains, in the Clouds
4. Young the Giant Young the Giant
5. Two Door Cinema Club Tourist History
6. Coldplay Mylo Xlyto
7. Kings of Leon Come Around Sundown
8. Augustana Augustana
9. Tenth Avenue North Where Dark Meets the Light

Everybody should totally vote for Villages by Alpine in the Hottest 100.

Just creating my list now, and the shortlist is disappointing. Go Outside for Cults, but no Abducted? Absolutely nothing by Pains Of Being Pure At Heart? Pleasantly surprised to see not one but two Pajama Club songs though, and not surprised at all - but disappointed - to see that The Bats get ignored. Shame the only Neon Indian song on there is Polish Girl, one of the most mediocre from Era Extraña, though I seem to be the only person who doesn't rate it.

Looks like I'm going to have a heap of write-ins this year, which is always a great way to waste your vote.

I had a few as well. It doesn't matter, the list will more than likely be rubbish anyway, with plenty good songs scattered throughout, but mind-bogglingly below much shitter ones.

I've got to try and learn to control my anger between now and Australia Day, because I will flip my shit when 360's tripe finishes higher than Jay-Z and Kanye, Tyler, and all the other great hip-hop that doesn't even get a look in.

What's that lowest-common-denominator song that everyone's been overplaying this year? I should know but I forget. Cause it will get no. 1.

Well the top tweet on twitter if you use #Hottest100 is pretty accurate: "Voting for Gotye's Somebody I Used To Know has now opened!"

I saw a betting agency offering $1.13 for Gotye to top the Hottest 100 vs $5.50 for "Anything Else".

Back
Top Bottom