Triple J's 2011 Album of the Year Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still like that song, but there's three or four on the album that are better. But we're talking about j-fags, so they don't listen to the album, just what they hear on triple j :wink:

Also Kieran did you hear Rosie's Super Request is no more?

I did drink a quiet toast to the end of Rosie (on air at 6pm weeknights at any rate, I don't wish the woman any harm)...

... until I reflected that her replacement will probably be worse.

----------------------

I'm not voting in any fucking polls but for the record, as many songs as I can think of from 2011:

PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder, All And Everyone, In the Dark Places
Radiohead - Staircase, Give Up The Ghost
Wilco - One Sunday Morning
Sharon Van Etten - Peace Signs
Rat Vs Possum - Fat Monk
Little Dragon - Ritual Union
Feist - The Bad in Each Other (at least I think that's the one; I actually really dislike Feist but this - if this it was - surprised me)

I'm not saying any of them are 'best of' this or any year. Just songs I didn't turn off. I'm not sticking Exile/Vilify on the list just for the sake of it; good song, I like it, but bside material really.

Well maybe they'll extend The Doctor's show "How To Be A Supercilious Wanker" :happy: or perhaps give more air time to the hideously unfunny Tom and Alex.

Bring back Wil, Marieke and Roy & HG please!

The trouble with the Doctor is he hypes everything up as the MOST EXCITING THING EVER... he gets my hopes up time and time again, and like Charlie Brown, I have the football removed from in front of me at the last moment. Time after time.

Roy & HG should never have left, they made it bearable.

The problem is my mental image of 2011 is polluted with twee shite like Grouplove and Foster the People and Ballpark Music and Kimbra... I can't even get past it. Ok, I know for a fact Gillian Welch resurfaced and at least some of the new songs sound interesting... but haven't bought it. I know there was the Tom Waits thing, like a couple of the songs, haven't bought it. Cut Copy are ok but I prefer their earlier material. Almost certainly a number of vaguely electronic or ambient-type music by artists I can't remember, or never caught, the names of, and so never bought or downloaded. Sufjan Stevens... that was last year, wasn't it.

I'm still let down that Destroyer is not an indie death metal band.

Also, I'm terrified that Foster The People's lone song is going to end up in this year's top ten. I can't believe that about ten months ago, I saw them listed as playing at the Northcote Social Club, said "who the hell is that?", listened to their EP and thought it mediocre, said "well at least that'll get dismissed as unimaginative" ... and now they've sold out the fucking Palace more than two months in advance of their gig.

Yeah, that was just insane. That said, I've still managed to - I think - never hear a note of her music, so I can't really comment on whether she's good or bad as a musician. I just have the annoying hype to go on.

Trying to think if I've ever seen anybody else do more than three nights at the Corner ... did Boy & Bear do three or four earlier this year? Vengaboys look like they could totally add a fourth next month! :lol:

17 both in terms of Corner gigs and placings in the Hottest 100.

I'm still let down that Destroyer is not an indie death metal band.

Also, I'm terrified that Foster The People's lone song is going to end up in this year's top ten. I can't believe that about ten months ago, I saw them listed as playing at the Northcote Social Club, said "who the hell is that?", listened to their EP and thought it mediocre, said "well at least that'll get dismissed as unimaginative" ... and now they've sold out the fucking Palace more than two months in advance of their gig.

Pumped Up Kicks ranked somewhere in the top 40 last year, so by JJJ law it can't get into the 100, even though it would surely make the top 10-20.

Gotye is a gotydamn shoo-in this year.

I reckon Pumpd Up Kix could be a dark horse for upsetting Gotcha. We'll see. Still gotta whack my votes in.

Gonna vote a Rihanna song, probably in vain though.

It will be the grouplove song.

Then the goitre song.

Then the pumped up kids/kicks song.

Then something by Washington.

Then something from the excreble Ballpark Music.

After that the real fun begins.

I reckon Pumpd Up Kix could be a dark horse for upsetting Gotcha. We'll see. Still gotta whack my votes in.

Gonna vote a Rihanna song, probably in vain though.

I'm drinking tonight so I'm gonna be a broken record and say again that Pumped Up Kicks will not make the 100 because it already did last year. So yeah, Gotye is gonna straight up win, cause that's about the only thing I could see beat it.

Yay for a half-Belgian being famous across the world. Too bad he feels more Australian. :lol:

I do really like Somebody That I Used To Know. The others songs of his I've heard, don't do much for me though.

I can also honestly say that I don't know that Foster the People song.

The Sad Punk said:
I'm drinking tonight so I'm gonna be a broken record and say again that Pumped Up Kicks will not make the 100 because it already did last year. So yeah, Gotye is gonna straight up win, cause that's about the only thing I could see beat it.

Aye, I missed that before. Cheers. Gotye is a certainty, unless they rig it, which they may do.

I was convinced that Straight Lines was gonna romp it home a few years back, only to be upset by Knights of Cydonia.

Some girl who is going to Pyramid posted a Ball Park Music song on my wall the other day. Absolutely shithouse.

There are that many people who think it came out this year, though. Idiots.

Back
Top Bottom