Triple J Hottest 100 of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say No One Knows deserved to be on there - perhaps not that high, but it was huge when it came out.

Can we expect the entire Grace album by Jeff Buckley to feature?

Blister in the Sun, Born Slippy and Berlin Chair I would have thought would be higher.

Yay Born Slippy, another song I voted for. Breathe is classic. John Butler Trio quite laughable. and yuk at that No One Knows song. Horrid and been trying to forget it existed.

From the little I've been exposed to John Butler Trio (their music and their audience), they seem to fall into the Dave Matthews bro-jams vein. You Australians probably would know better than I would, obviously, but I think they've got that reputation over here.

From the little I've been exposed to John Butler Trio (their music and their audience), they seem to fall into the Dave Matthews bro-jams vein. You Australians probably would know better than I would, obviously, but I think they've got that reputation over here.

That's pretty much it, yeah. Awful group, and John Butler himself looks like the daftest of fools.

Damn. I honestly thought that "Blister in the Sun" had a chance at (at the very least) the top 10. Whatever.

I would've liked a U2 song to appear somewhere but highly unlikely. I always seem to get the idea that JJJ are anti-U2. But Wonderwall for no.1, no, just no.

When they did the last “All Time” Hottest 100, in 1998, U2 came in at 11 (One), 23 (WOWY) and 93 (Still Haven’t Found – kinda bizarre). I reckon the last decade will effectively rule them out this time.

# 21. # Powderfinger - These Days
# 22. # Massive Attack - Teardrop
# 23. # Hunters & Collectors - Throw Your Arms Around Me
# 24. # The Beatles - A Day in the Life
# 25. # Pearl Jam - Alive
# 26. # Michael Jackson - Thriller
# 27. # Powderfinger - My Happiness
# 28. # Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
# 29. # Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
# 30. # Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
# 31. # Metallica - Enter Sandman
# 32. # New Order - Blue Monday
# 33. # Silverchair - Tomorrow
# 34. # The Living End - Prisoner Of Society
# 35. # Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
# 36. # Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms
# 37. # Tool - Stinkfist
# 38. # The Killers - Mr Brightside
# 39. # Pearl Jam - Better Man
# 40. # Nirvana - Come As You Are

Italics is my votes. Pretty happy with all these now, but I really don't like Tool. I wouldn't be surprised if U2 doesn't make it.

Teardrop! Fucking thing got played constantly in every lesson I went to when I was doing Tafe, but it's still an alright song, I suppose. Nice to see Blue Monday and Where Is My Mind? make it.

# 1. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
# 2. Rage Against the Machine - Killing In The Name
# 3. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
# 4. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
# 5. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
# 6. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
# 7. Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
# 8. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
# 9. Foo Fighters - Everlong
# 10. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
# 11. John Lennon - Imagine
# 12. Oasis - Wonderwall
# 13. Radiohead - Creep
# 14. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
# 15. Radiohead - Karma Police
# 16. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
# 17. Hilltop Hoods - The Nosebleed Section
# 18. Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
# 19. Metallica - One
# 20. White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

emotsuicideea1.gif

... at least it wasn't Wolfmother.

So according to Triple J listeners the 90s were the greatest decade in music? :hmm: Seven out of top ten songs if I'm not mistaken. And three tragic early deaths in the top four.

And I realise that this is just a popularity contest, but... Foo Fighters? Two Jeff Buckley songs? :huh:

No U2 or REM in the Top 100 at all then?

So according to Triple J listeners the 90s were the greatest decade in music? :hmm: Seven out of top ten songs if I'm not mistaken. And three tragic early deaths in the top four.

And I realise that this is just a popularity contest, but... Foo Fighters? Two Jeff Buckley songs? :huh:

exactly. i'm not one to go "zomg u2 aren't in the list!! bomb their houses!" or anything but it surprises me that as you said, there's no u2 or r.e.m. though i knew what would be #1. :yawn: having heard the song again a few days ago for the first time in years, i was reminded all over again how overrated the song is.

Yeah, very disappointing top ten. It is, however, as the Kingsmill bloke said, a most "favourite" top 100 - but Jeff Buckley, honestly. Can't get anymore lightweight than than. Might as well have Guy Sebastian or WezKa or Damien Leith in there. Or maybe not them. But Jason Mraz maybe?

That RATM song has made me cringe every time I've heard it.

And the absence of U2 is horrible.

I like to think that due to the vast number of famous songs U2 have, votes were diluted amongst all the classics, One, Streets, BD, Mysty Ways, Lemon and Desire etc...

Could have been worse. Nice to see solid results there for Rage, Hilltop Hoods, Radiohead...

I really don't like Nirvana, or grunge altogether really.

U2 should've at least been there somewhere, as well as REM but nooo ...

It's confirmed that Triple J have some sort of deadly obsession with Radiohead, it's that scary. Just out of curiousity I found this thing where it had the presenters and musicians top 10 and Radiohead featured basically in all the lists.

I remember The Sweetest Thing featured in the '98 Top 100 edition.

I somehow have this urge to ring them up and ask why they don't play U2 anymore, I can imagine them using something cliched ala 'Bono's an arsehole' or 'U2 are sell-outs!!11!!11!!!' and then i'll just hand them a copy of NLOTH. :wink:

I'm guessing it was probably Vertigo that did it though. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, though Vertigo did finish 36th in the '04 countdown, extraordinary considering JJJ did not actually play the song at all.

Pretty surprising I guess, that gives me an idea ... I'm gonna vote for Magnificent when the top 100 of '09 voting begins. :cool:

You can only vote for songs that have been released as singles, right? If not then i'd just vote for Unknown Caller. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom