Triple J Hottest 100 of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. V

Refugee
So, in case you've been living under a rock in Australia, or just overseas - Triple J is an Aussie radio station that, this week, starting today, is counting down the Top 100 songs of all time as voted by the plebs that listen to it. The story so far:

81 Common People Pulp England 1995
82 Chop Suey! System of a Down United States 2001
83 Every You Every Me Placebo England 1999
84 No Woman, No Cry Bob Marley & The Wailers Jamaica 1974
85 Bohemian Like You The Dandy Warhols United States 2000
86 Come Together The Beatles England 1969
87 Yellow Coldplay England 2000
88 Gimme Shelter The Rolling Stones England 1969
89 Bulls on Parade Rage Against the Machine United States 1996
90 Sex on Fire Kings of Leon United States 2008
91 Back in Black AC/DC Australia 1980
92 Skinny Love Bon Iver United States 2008
93 Unfinished Sympathy Massive Attack England 1991
94 Float On Modest Mouse United States 2004
95 Superstition Stevie Wonder United States 1972
96 One More Time Daft Punk France 2000
97 Beds Are Burning Midnight Oil Australia 1987
98 Kashmir Led Zeppelin England 1975
99 Wolf Like Me TV On The Radio United States 2006
100 Take Me Out Franz Ferdinand Scotland 2004

I've bolded the ones that definitely don't deserve to be there.

Barely listen to it nowadays, but thanks for the heads up. The bolds are pretty what the fuck, though unfortunately I'm not surprised the Dandy Warhols song is on there.

Was wondering when this was gonna kick off....and I see now that it has.

There are much better Daft Punk songs, so bit disappointed to see One More Time there. And good to see Sex On Fire already, I had a sick feeling that it would crack the top ten, due to the extraordinary and unecessary hype surrounding the band.

Hears hoping U2 can have at least 5 entries. I voted for Streets and Beautiful Day.

JJJ are fucked these days. Unless it's undergroudn aussie hip-hop garbage they wont play it, and will openly trash it.

Fuck modern JJJ

JJJ are fucked these days. Unless it's undergroudn aussie hip-hop garbage they wont play it, and will openly trash it.

Fuck modern JJJ

:rolleyes: Yes, because the fact that they play mostly hip-hop (something a good majority of Top 40 stations do nowadays) is so pertinent to this list.

I agree with the bolded choices, and I'd add "Wolf Like Me" to that as well. I always love seeing these things because somehow the top 100 of all time turns into a mix of classics and recent indie hits. :lol:

Fuck modern JJJ

Robbie and the Doctor are fine to listen to in the morning, Can't stand Marike. (sp??)

I don't mind Dools either. Can't stand some of the hip of shit they play, but eh...its something different from the commercial stations.

Sex On Fire? Come the Fuck on. Well I guess it is voted by the listeners.

If "Sex On Fire" is the 90th best song ever written then I would kind of like to just lay down and die right now.

:rolleyes: Yes, because the fact that they play mostly hip-hop (something a good majority of Top 40 stations do nowadays) is so pertinent to this list.

I agree with the bolded choices, and I'd add "Wolf Like Me" to that as well. I always love seeing these things because somehow the top 100 of all time turns into a mix of classics and recent indie hits. :lol:

It is indicative of the decline of Austrlias finest ever radio stations. Unfortunately, they had some success in promoting and introducing people to great upcoming bands, most of which people never heard of before. Now they play any old trash simply BECAUSE it isn't a popular or famous band

If "Sex On Fire" is the 90th best song ever written then I would kind of like to just lay down and die right now.

Wait till Use Somebody storms in at #20

Chop Suey!'s a great song. Maybe not worthy, no, but still a good song.

Hopefully the usual suspects won't be there. respect, good vibrations :rolleyes:

81 Common People Pulp England 1995

86 Come Together The Beatles England 1969

88 Gimme Shelter The Rolling Stones England 1969

98 Kashmir Led Zeppelin England 1975

Those ones deserve for sure, and I'm glad to see Common People in the higher position of the four.

Fuck modern JJJ

i like me some hilltop hoods and bliss n eso, but it's just not the same without roy and hg.

incidentally, pete and myf got dumped on mmm

i like me some hilltop hoods and bliss n eso, but it's just not the same without roy and hg.

incidentally, pete and myf got dumped on mmm

officially? are they running till the end of the year? Wow. I kinda liked them, I usually get their podcasts. but I guess they just don't rate against Matt & Jo , and Hughsey & Kate.

Clearly, you haven't listened to much Australian hip-hop!

I'll probably lose some Adelaide cred here, but fuck the Hilltop Hoods, they're terrible. And what kind of a 'hood is Blackwood, anyway? Maybe if they were the Salisbury Schmucks I'd be more intimidated.

Well at least we know andyuk didn't make this list. Otherwise it'd be in the top five.

Clearly, you haven't listened to much Australian hip-hop!

I'll probably lose some Adelaide cred here, but fuck the Hilltop Hoods, they're terrible. And what kind of a 'hood is Blackwood, anyway? Maybe if they were the Salisbury Schmucks I'd be more intimidated.

Quoted for awesomeness....

10 more played this morning:

71 How Soon Is Now? The Smiths England 1984
72 New Slang The Shins United States 2001
73 London Calling The Clash England 1979
74 Lithium Nirvana United States 1992
75 Good Riddance Green Day United States 1997
76 Fools Gold The Stone Roses England 1989
77 Hearts a Mess Gotye Australia 2006
78 Today The Smashing Pumpkins United States 1993
79 Life on Mars? David Bowie England 1971
80 Paint It Black The Rolling Stones England 1966

Bold is another shite one, Italics is one of the 10 I voted for. The rest are great.

Bets on #1? Normally I'd say lock in something blindingly obvious like Teen Spirit or Love Will Tear Us Apart, but I don't listen to Triple J enough anymore to get a feel for what the kids might be voting for these days.

Hopefully there wasn't too much of a bullshit run on Michael Jackson last week.

Yep, I voted for How Soon Is Now too.....knew it would get in, wanted to help it's positioning by sacrificing what would have been a wasted vote for The Queen Is Dead.

Fools Gold - :up: for the fact that the Roses made it, :down: for the fact that they've got probably a dozen or so songs that almost certainly won't make it.

Hearts A Mess is boring, goes on for way too long.....annoys me, but you've gotta expect JJJ-hyped songs to make a countdown like this. Gotye probably did Kingsmill a few favours...or something...maybe...

Bets on #1? Normally I'd say lock in something blindingly obvious like Teen Spirit or Love Will Tear Us Apart, but I don't listen to Triple J enough anymore to get a feel for what the kids might be voting for these days.

I really wouldn't have a clue what will make #1. Probably Love Will Tear Us Apart. I voted for it :up:

I'm always impressed that anyone under teh age of 35 knows who Joy Division is these days. But I'm not exactly down with the kids either..... :lol:

officially? are they running till the end of the year? Wow. I kinda liked them, I usually get their podcasts. but I guess they just don't rate against Matt & Jo , and Hughsey & Kate.
end of the month, then likely to be replaced by eddie and crawf.

teen spirit was an almost unbackable favourite, and lwtua was second. forgot to vote myself.

yellow certainly deserves it's place there, for sure.

17 mj songs in the chart, and about 11 albums this week.

yeah, supposedly it's going to be a unique sports-related show, with a focus on it being different, because nearly every fm station has the same formula for morning shows.

the cage was good in it's day

Since my last update:

41 Billie Jean Michael Jackson United States 1983
42 Banquet Bloc Party England 2005
43 God Only Knows The Beach Boys United States
44 Hey Jude The Beatles England 1968
45 No One Knows Queens Of The Stone Age United States 2002
46 Epic Faith No More United States 1990
47 Betterman The John Butler Trio Australia 2001
48 Sabotage Beastie Boys United States 1994
49 Sweet Child o' Mine Guns N' Roses United States 1988
50 Don't Dream It's Over Crowded House Australia / New Zealand 1986
51 Bullet With Butterfly Wings The Smashing Pumpkins United States 1995
52 Berlin Chair You Am I Australia 1994
53 Comfortably Numb Pink Floyd England 1979
54 Close to Me The Cure England 1985
55 Like a Rolling Stone Bob Dylan United States 1965
56 Lover, You Should've Come Over Jeff Buckley United States 1994
57 Forty-Six & 2 Tool United States 1997
58 Around the World Daft Punk France 1997
59 One Crowded Hour Augie March Australia 2006
60 Hurt Johnny Cash United States 2003
61 Song 2 Blur England 1997
62 Closer Nine Inch Nails United States 1994
63 Thunderstruck AC/DC Australia 1990
64 Blister In The Sun Violent Femmes United States
65 Born Slippy Underworld England 1995
66 Tiny Dancer Elton John England 1971
67 Brick Ben Folds Five United States 1997
68 Dammit (Growing Up) Blink-182 United States
69 Grace Jeff Buckley United States 1994
70 Breathe The Prodigy England 1996

The songs that can get fucked are in bold, the songs I voted for are in italics, and the songs I have question marks over (probably deserve to be there but perhaps not that high) are underlined.

Back
Top Bottom