Tori Amos is back and abnormally attracted to sin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So quick too! :applaud:

2005 Beekeeper
2007 Posse
2009 Abnormally

I went and re-listened to Posse just recently and I have to say that it has not aged well for me. I actually prefer Beekeeper. :reject:

I am stoked. Officially. Especially since I was let down by Beekeeper after Scarlet, and I was really disappointed by most of Posse.

Dang. Now I want to listen to Tori.

I've lost most of my interest in her since Strange Little Girls, but keep buying her records because a) I retain hope that I'll love on of her records again; and b) it's Tori, man. I gotta support Tori.

I am stoked. Officially. Especially since I was let down by Beekeeper after Scarlet, and I was really disappointed by most of Posse.

:ohmy: That sounds like you prefer the Beekeeper to Posse too, like me! I thought I was the only one. Scarlet rules though. :drool:

Upon first listen, I liked it, but I never really went back and spent much time with it. She just doesn't hold my interest as much as she used to.

But that's my problem, not Tori's. ;)

:D Yay. I am excited about this, but not as excited as I am for new stuff from U2, Bloc Party or Radiohead. I think Corri and I are part of the same hive with these statments:

I've lost most of my interest in her . . . but keep buying her records because a) I retain hope that I'll love on of her records again; and b) it's Tori, man. I gotta support Tori.

She just doesn't hold my interest as much as she used to.

Little Earthquakes
Under The Pink
Boys For Pele
From The Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus And Back

Those are pretty much where my lasting love for Tori comes from. I haven't really cared for that much of her stuff since. Scarlet's Walk was ok, but fairly boring to my ears, and while I did enjoy American Doll Posse, I thought it was too long with too much filler. Some artists really need to get tough with themselves and leave stuff on the editing room floor, or release singles with many b-sides - which a lot of the ADL songs seemed to be to me.

But any new Tori is a cause to celebrate, and I will love her to my dying day just because I think she is such a fucking cool and brilliant artist! :up:

Those are pretty much where my lasting love for Tori comes from. I haven't really cared for that much of her stuff since. Scarlet's Walk was ok, but fairly boring to my ears, and while I did enjoy American Doll Posse, I thought it was too long with too much filler. Some artists really need to get tough with themselves and leave stuff on the editing room floor, or release singles with many b-sides - which a lot of the ADL songs seemed to be to me.

We are totally on the same page with Tori. :hi5:

while I did enjoy American Doll Posse, I thought it was too long with too much filler. Some artists really need to get tough with themselves and leave stuff on the editing room floor, or release singles with many b-sides - which a lot of the ADL songs seemed to be to me.

This is exactly how I feel about Posse. The Clyde songs are the few that I actually adore (Roosterspur Bridge, Beauty of Speed, Bouncing Off Clouds), but there's too much else going on with that record. The different songs by the different dolls are all over the map and the whole doesn't feel coherent. Something was also wrong with my copy of the CD, so the last two songs skip and I never listen to them.

So yeah, Zoots, I guess I do like Beekeeper better, though I'm not sure I would have said that at the time Posse came out. Posse has a few songs I think are brilliant, but if I had to listen to a whole album, I'd go with Beekeeper.

Does anyone else think the new one might be a bit on the crazy side, a la She's Your Cocaine or Hotel? I'm kind of hoping this new one is dark and full of fury.

Posse was uneven, but the parts that worked really worked well. Scarlet's Walk and The Beekeeper were much more consistent, though.

That being said, Tori Amos is one of the artists that I'll blindly buy anything she releases. She's a genius.

I went and re-listened to Posse just recently and I have to say that it has not aged well for me. I actually prefer Beekeeper. :reject:

I feel the same way. I really liked Posse when it came out and I still like it, but it did depreciate with time for me. Whereas Beekeeper slowly climbed up as the years passed. Mother Revolution, Ribbons Undone, Cars and Guitars are the only songs I skip and luckily they follow one another so I can skip the whole patch, :)

IMO almost nothing on Tori's last three albums really stacks up to the best from her Earthquakes - Venus stuff, but for me she's the kind of artist whose lesser work I can still enjoy. It's probably a vain hope but I really do wish she got more ruthless with her own stuff and edited her albums better.

Well, I just came rushing in to start a new thread with a big announcement but I've been away all weekend and away from the Internet so looks like it's old news already. Glad I did a search first.

What I was going to say in my new thread was that I'm not sure how much I care anymore after how horrified I was by the last tour, and by how Posse just didn't hold up for me over time though I worked up some enthusiasm over it at the time, but after reading the comments here I can easily get excited again. Like Heartland Girl, I kind of hope she goes dark and crazy again, but in a really good way, in a Choirgirl way, but still just being herself. No more wigs and costumes, please.

What I was going to say in my new thread was that I'm not sure how much I care anymore after how horrified I was by the last tour, and by how Posse just didn't hold up for me over time though I worked up some enthusiasm over it at the time, but after reading the comments here I can easily get excited again.

It's about time you showed up in this thread, joyful. :hug: (Did you get the new Antony record yet?)

I didn't go to any shows on the last tour (too apathetic about the record to spend the money), but I got the impression people loved the different doll performances. I'm very curious to hear what you (or anyone else) thought about the shows. What were they like? What was horrifying about them, especially compared to the other tours (some of which I've been to)?

It's about time you showed up in this thread, joyful. :hug: (Did you get the new Antony record yet?)

I didn't go to any shows on the last tour (too apathetic about the record to spend the money), but I got the impression people loved the different doll performances. I'm very curious to hear what you (or anyone else) thought about the shows. What were they like? What was horrifying about them, especially compared to the other tours (some of which I've been to)?

I didn't get the new Antony record yet - I was traveling for a few days and haven't had a chance yet but I'll pick it up soon.

'Horrifying' is an exaggeration but I just didn't connect with the doll thing at all. I didn't like the energy she was putting out at the show. My friend and I kind of felt embarrassed for her, like it was a big mid-life crisis gone bad, like she had become a caricature of herself. Other friends at the same show, however, were seeing her for the first time and they LOVED it and became fans because of the show whereas they only went because we were going.

But for us, we left with no real memorable moments. We tried to be enthusiastic but as time went on I think it became worse in my head than perhaps it actually was at the time. I think I had good things to say about it in here immediately afterward but all I can say now is I don't even remember one highlight, and I have not listened to Posse since. :reject:

This is great news. Here's hoping for a tour soon. She was so energetic on the Posse tour....

I only saw one show on the tour and we got Santa. While Tori and the band sounded amazing through the whole thing, the highlight of the show was the first half with a doll. Only doing half the show (well, less if you add the encores) as the doll took away from the potential of the tour. From the shows I've heard and the videos, it seemed like Tori should have stuck with just Pip and Santa because they had the most personality. They were like Tori's Fly and MacPhisto. The tour had the potential to be her best but I don't think the execution was as good as it could have been. I don't know if anyone here agrees with that.

The tracklisting for ABNORMALLY ATTRACTED TO SIN is as follows:

Give
Welcome to England
Strong Black Vine
Flavor
Not Dying Today
Maybe California
Curtain Call
Fire to Your Plain
Police Me
That Guy
Abnormally Attracted to Sin
500 Miles
Mary Jane
Starling
Fast Horse
Ophelia
Lady in Blue

:|

I was hoping for a short album, those are my favorites of hers (only about 10 - 12 songs): Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, From The Choirgirl Hotel, To Venus And Back (Disc 1).

I think she gets diluted when she crams a zillion songs onto her albums.

:shrug: Well, hopefully it'll be a better long album like Boys For Pele, and less like the last 3.

:|

I was hoping for a short album, those are my favorites of hers (only about 10 - 12 songs): Little Earthquakes, Under The Pink, From The Choirgirl Hotel, To Venus And Back (Disc 1).

I think she gets diluted when she crams a zillion songs onto her albums.

Yeah.

If Posse had only half the songs, the best ones, it'd still be a weak album though. This next one will be try before buy, for me..

The tour on the other hand will be a must. :) Maybe Tori is oblivious to the fan disappointment in the albums because no matter what her reception on tour will always be overwhelmingly positive. A case of the emperor's new clothes (and wig).. :p

Back
Top Bottom