Tori Amos is back and abnormally attracted to sin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
17 tracks... bummer. Obviously Tori is still loathe to press the 'delete' button. Wouldn't matter if the material was strong throughout but on the evidence of the last three albums I'm not betting on it.

I thought Scarlet's Walk was strong throughout. There are a couple of songs I wasn't crazy about at first, but I rarely actually skip anything - occasionally Don't Make Me Go to Vegas. But I think it's quite cohesive as a record. Can't say the same for Beekeeper and Posse, and I agree both could have benefited from some editing.

Scarlet's Walk is my least favourite Tori album. I adore I Can't See New York, Pancake, Amber Waves and I like A Sorta Fairytale, Don't Make Me Come to Vegas and Mrs. Jesus. The rest I don't care for at all. Too limp and wishy-washy.

I'm not sure why, but I've got great hope for this record, despite its long tracklisting. My two favorite albums, Pele and Scarlet, both have lots of songs too. I'm not giving up on this record yet, despite my apathy toward the vast majority of Posse and many songs on Beekeeper.

On an unrelated note, I think we should all make predictions as to what our favorite song on the new album will be, based on title alone. What a pointless exercise, but it might be fun and make for a new way of listening when the album comes out, especially for those of us who've been Tori fans for a long time.

I'm going to look at the tracks again and give it some thought, if anyone wants to join me...

:coocoo:

:D

Ticketmaster has a list of cities in the US tori is going to play ....no dates yet, (There's a date in Seattle for July?).....But I'm really hoping she tours in september.....

Tori Amos will perform in the following cities:
Seattle, WA
Portland, OR
Oakland, CA
San Diego, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Phoenix, CA
Denver, CO
Dallas, TX
Austin, TX
Atlanta, GA
Washington D.C.
Chicago, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Indianapolis, IN
Detroit, MI
New York, NY
Boston, MA
Philadelphia, PA

Is she supposed to look ill, like she's knocking on death's door, for most of the video???

Song is ok. I remember liking it more when I heard the leaked version a few months back. Sounds different now, more slowed down, mid-tempo. Figures, since I really liked the earlier version.

She really looks awful. Plus I'm just sick of Tori playing dress-up and posing for the camera. I used to be amused by her ego, now it's just boring and annoying.

The song is meh on first listen but I haven't really given it a chance yet and her songs tend to be growers. But I admit I have low expectations for the record. :sad:

Yeah, in terms of the video, dreadful is the right word. I like the song but the video is boring and slightly disturbing for the "is she supposed to look ill" aspect that Fitz mentioned. I sort of wish she'd go back to just playing behind the piano. I hate the express of back to basics but that's probably the direction she should go in...I'm still looking forward to the album though. :wink:

I sort of wish she'd go back to just playing behind the piano. I hate the express of back to basics but that's probably the direction she should go in...

I tend to agree with you. As much as I would LOVE her to do something more Choirgirlish, I just doubt she has that in her anymore. I'd love her to still go for it in a way, but it would be painful if she failed. The tour before last that I saw where she was solo at the piano again may not have been as exciting as she can be with a band, but it was still Tori at her quintessential best.

I heard, and I heard this a long time ago, that she has some arthiritis in her wrists and can't play as well as she used to. From what I heard, certain songs are too complex and involved for her wrists to take anymore, such as 'Father Lucifer' I think, which she doesn't play live anymore? Something like that? Or maybe it was 'Blood Roses'. Not sure. But when I heard that, they listed a few songs which were too painful for her to play anymore.

Which lead me to wonder back then, and still now, did the alleged arthritis affect her composition. Is she doing simpler, "safer" songs now b/c of it?

Just a thought.

Interesting, I had not heard that. That's really sad if true. There are all kinds of rumors out there about her health just based on her appearance throughout the last tour, and the fact that she hinted in an interview that ADP might be her last tour but it seemed more about being a mom than anything else. But ... one wonders.

If she's having issues with her wrists, I wonder if it's carpal tunnel syndrome as well. I've known of other pianists to get that.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this new single. Based on how "meh" I am with her last two albums (I did like ADP more than beekeeper, but never even feel like listening to it), I might be done buying Tori albums.

Unless I hear it's zomg amazing.

Yeah, I thought of that, too - some kind of repetitive motion strain. I thought I had that a couple of months ago - it was so painful I thought a day was coming when I couldn't sit at a computer anymore. But then I saw this bodyworker who worked on my jaw and my psoas muscle, and the issue in my hand totally went away after just one treatment. The areas he worked on were nowhere near my hand but it's all connected, he said. I'm a believer.

I still hold out some small glimmer of hope for another great Tori record, or at least some random great songs.

Interesting, I had not heard that. That's really sad if true. There are all kinds of rumors out there about her health just based on her appearance throughout the last tour, and the fact that she hinted in an interview that ADP might be her last tour but it seemed more about being a mom than anything else. But ... one wonders.

I heard my rumor years ago. Waaaaaaay before Beekeeper or ADP. I don't even know if was a rumor. A friend of mine is a HUGE Toriphile, and my friend may have read it in an article and then told me about it. I can't remember. And that friend and I aren't really speaking these days, so I can't research it. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rumor, but something said in an article. And this was probably around Strange Little Girls or Scarlet's Walk time, possible even dating back to To Venus And Back days. I really can't remember.

I heard my rumor years ago. Waaaaaaay before Beekeeper or ADP. I don't even know if was a rumor. A friend of mine is a HUGE Toriphile, and my friend may have read it in an article and then told me about it. I can't remember. And that friend and I aren't really speaking these days, so I can't research it. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rumor, but something said in an article. And this was probably around Strange Little Girls or Scarlet's Walk time, possible even dating back to To Venus And Back days. I really can't remember.

I was referring to other, unrelated, rumors about her health specifically around the last tour. I should have said "there are also rumors..."

Phoenix, CA

:confused:

Watched the video. I got the feeling that it was a song about really letting go of her American identity, almost in a resigned way--how she lives in England now and is really never coming back. Perhaps she looked so ill in her little flag outfit to symbolize her feelings about the U.S., or how the country has lost its lustre, and even its direction, wandering around London. She looked refreshed and lovely where she's holding the camera, looking like a tourist, which could represent that she will never wholly fit into English life. Hmm. Just some ideas. I liked the song, though, and if she's coming to Phoenix, I'd really like to go see her this time.

Back
Top Bottom