Tori Amos is back and abnormally attracted to sin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Todays Set:

01-Give
02-Raspberry Swirl
03-Band Intros / Cornflake Girl
04-Siren
05-Pandora's Aquarium
06-Concertina
07-Space Dog
08-Doughnut Song
09-Carbon (John On Acousitc Guitar)
10-Silent All These Years (Solo)
11-Ophelia
12-(Band Returns) Pretty Good Year
13-Jamaica Inn
14-Glitter Girl (Intro) / Talua
15-Precious Things
16-Strong Black Vine

*Encore*

17-Body And Soul
18-Take To The Sky
19-Big Wheel

Wow. :drool:

Raspberry Swirl! Spacedog :sad: Concertina! cool.

I joined a month or so ago over there but I'm not fond of the way it's set up. Not the easiest to see/navigate around. White tiny fonts, no way that I could find of getting back to posts you've replied in, etc.. I like Undented for setlists and sometimes they'll be vid links.

Montreal Set:

* Give
* Siren
* Cornflake Girl
* Little Amsterdam
* Space Dog
* Flavor
* Glory Of The 80s
* Honey
* Virginia
* Welcome To England

Lizard Lounge

* Beulah Land
* Ophelia

(band returns)

* China
* Marys Of The Sea
* Talula
* Precious Things
* Strong Black Vine

Encore

* Police Me
* Caught A Lite Sneeze
* Big Wheel

:combust:

I finally listened to the new album. It may need more spins to properly sink in, but so far I feel that it starts off really well, then gets bogged down with the same boring generic mid-tempo filler crap that had plagued Tori's albums since Scarlett's Walk. Total creative control is generally considered to be a good thing, but in this case I just wish there was someone to make Tori edit her albums better. Still, considering that I had no expectations for the album whatsoever it's nice to discover that it's at least partly enjoyable. I especially like the opening track, the vibe is very much To Venus and Back which is fine with me :)

Montreal Set:

* Give
* Siren
* Cornflake Girl
* Little Amsterdam
* Space Dog
* Flavor
* Glory Of The 80s
* Honey
* Virginia
* Welcome To England

Lizard Lounge

* Beulah Land
* Ophelia

(band returns)

* China
* Marys Of The Sea
* Talula
* Precious Things
* Strong Black Vine

Encore

* Police Me
* Caught A Lite Sneeze
* Big Wheel

Honey, Virginia, WTE, Ophelia, Talula !!!!!

I should have waited til she warmed up a bit and then bought my ticket. I'm not complaining here, really..I'm not. I'm just more than a little :| that I didn't get some of these gems.

By the time she gets to you, she'll have ascended completely and there is no doubt in my mind that the sky will open up.

*runs to calendar, jingles pocket change*

I finally listened to the new album. It may need more spins to properly sink in, but so far I feel that it starts off really well, then gets bogged down with the same boring generic mid-tempo filler crap that had plagued Tori's albums since Scarlett's Walk. Total creative control is generally considered to be a good thing, but in this case I just wish there was someone to make Tori edit her albums better. Still, considering that I had no expectations for the album whatsoever it's nice to discover that it's at least partly enjoyable. I especially like the opening track, the vibe is very much To Venus and Back which is fine with me :)

I like that vibe, too. I feel the first 3 songs are very strong, and the last 4. There are gems in the middle, ie..Curtain Call, AATS. I like Police Me but don't feel it has staying power like some of the others. FTYP faded for me rather quickly after having liked it initially.

Give it a few more listens and you may find many are solid keepers.

Tori Amos Announces Midwinter Graces

After nearly two decades writing and recording some of her generation's most emotionally powerful music, Tori Amos will release her first seasonal album, Midwinter Graces, on November 10 via Universal Republic. A follow up to Tori's critically acclaimed studio album, Abnormally Attracted to Sin, Midwinter Graces will find Tori reworking and expanding on classic carols as well as developing some of her very own seasonal tracks.

Midwinter Graces is an album that has been in the making for the past 40 years. Raised in the Baltimore area under the watchful eye of her Methodist minister father, Tori grew up playing holiday carols at Sunday services and Christmas Day celebrations in her father's church. These were the songs that gave a young Tori her first taste of music, and now almost 40 years later Tori gets her own chance to reimagine the classics.

Midwinter Graces Tracklist:
What Child, Nowell
Star of Wonder
A Silent Night with You
Candle: Coventry Carol
Holly, Ivy, and Rose
Harps of Gold
Snow Angel
Jeanette, Isabella
Pink and Glitter
Emmanuel
Winter's Carol
Our New Year

And in other news, I'm sitting in the second row for her Canberra show :hyper:

Midwinter Graces will be a nice addition to my collection. I'll look forward to it. Bonoman, what I wouldn't do to see her 3 times in a week..lucky you! I haven't checked in awhile but I don't suppose they've announced another US leg? :sad:

So Midwinter Graces is out today. Anyone planning to pick it up? If it's all holiday stuff, I'm not so sure I'll get it. But if it's just wintry songs with the occasional Christmas carol, maybe I will.

Also, I heard Lady in Blue from AATS on shuffle the other day. It sounded really great without having to listen to the entire album first. Not that the album is horrible, but by the end, that song was getting lost for me.

Popmatters gave it a glowing review yesterday:

Tori Amos: Midwinter Graces < Reviews | PopMatters

A few items of note from their review:

Whenever an artist releases a Christmas album, it is understandably received with more than a bit of trepidation. Will it be a diluted version of that artist’s talent buried under tinsel and sentimentality? Will a rock star suddenly sound like a Jesus freak in the spirit of the holiday season?

Those fears—and more—were certainly in effect upon first listen to Tori Amos’ Midwinter Graces. Imagine, then, the surprise to find that a holiday album is Amos’ best work in years. For some reason, it took a holiday album for her to transcend the pitfalls that have marked her last few albums—releasing over-long albums with uneven song quality and splotchy production has been a familiar refrain with critics and fans of her work alike. But Midwinter Graces is 12 tracks long, a perfect length, and most of the production is spot-on. Gone is the dreaded AutoTune that botched some of the songs on Amos’ last original album, Abnormally Attracted to Sin. Gone, for the most part, are the overly-layered backing vocals that cluttered the sonic landscapes of many a song on Amos’ past four releases.

Ultimately, only the biggest Scrooge or Amos cynic could fail to be moved by such an album, which is hopefully a harbinger of all things musical to come from Amos.

Having not been a huge fan of what she's been releasing for some time, I was really impressed by the description in this review. I'll probably pick it up.

One thing I dislike more than the holidays is holiday music. :uhoh:

So I will pass on this.

But it reminds me, HG, I wanted to tell you that after sitting behind the artist Cindy Sherman at the David Byrne show last spring (she's his girlfriend but very famous in her own right) it occurred to me that Tori dressing up in outfits and posing in different characters might be either a blatant ripoff of, or genuine homage to, Sherman's work. Google her and you'll see what I mean. Maybe this has already come up at some point but it kind of hit me like a ton of bricks that night.

Edit: after reading that review maybe I'll reconsider...

Okay, I googled Cindy Sherman, and I definitely see what you're talking about. If you look at it from that angle, the Dolls (and Strange Little Girls, I think) take on a whole new meaning. Hmm...

Can I just admit that the reason I want to buy Midwinter Graces is that there's a song on there called "Pink and Glitter"? The title "Jeanette, Isabella" also intrigues me. These two, I must hear.

Edit to add:

Found this part of a review over at amazon. Whoa.

"The best track on the whole album, and my favorite, was "Pink and Glitter". While a slightly disarming title, the sudden entrance of the brass and the great big-band sound lend this piece a lot of "glitter". I highly suggest snuggling up to your lover with this, maybe on New Year's Eve, or maybe just by a fire....you get the idea. Tori's jazz vocals make a comeback, and are rarely drowned out by the brass, so the blend seems all right. This is one of the two highly publicized tracks, but this one is well deserved." :ohmy:

One thing I dislike more than the holidays is holiday music. :uhoh:

I thought you were a fan of Sufjan's Christmas stuff, am I confusing you with someone else?

I like a surprisingly large amount of holiday music by done by artists I'm also a fan of (probably the fact that I usually only end up hearing the songs a few times year in December helps it all to not get too old), but a lot of it can certainly be blah and uninspiring. It also goes without saying that a lot of religious classics can understandably be off putting for some as well. It at least sounds like this album may not suffer from those issues, or at least that one reviewer didn't think it did.

Can I just admit that the reason I want to buy Midwinter Graces is that there's a song on there called "Pink and Glitter"? The title "Jeanette, Isabella" also intrigues me. These two, I must hear.

HG, my friend is a HUGE Tori fan and his favorite track off the new album is 'Pink and Glitter'. So I think your curiosity has served you well in this instance. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom