Tori Amos is back and abnormally attracted to sin! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 AM

dreadful
YouTube - Tori Amos - Welcome To England: Album Version

Old 04-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Is she supposed to look ill, like she's knocking on death's door, for most of the video???

Song is ok. I remember liking it more when I heard the leaked version a few months back. Sounds different now, more slowed down, mid-tempo. Figures, since I really liked the earlier version.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

She really looks awful. Plus I'm just sick of Tori playing dress-up and posing for the camera. I used to be amused by her ego, now it's just boring and annoying.

The song is meh on first listen but I haven't really given it a chance yet and her songs tend to be growers. But I admit I have low expectations for the record.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Boring and annoying aside. I still like Welcome To England...and from what I heard from others, most of the clips on iTunes are good.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:42 AM
Yeah, in terms of the video, dreadful is the right word. I like the song but the video is boring and slightly disturbing for the "is she supposed to look ill" aspect that Fitz mentioned. I sort of wish she'd go back to just playing behind the piano. I hate the express of back to basics but that's probably the direction she should go in...I'm still looking forward to the album though.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I sort of wish she'd go back to just playing behind the piano. I hate the express of back to basics but that's probably the direction she should go in...
I tend to agree with you. As much as I would LOVE her to do something more Choirgirlish, I just doubt she has that in her anymore. I'd love her to still go for it in a way, but it would be painful if she failed. The tour before last that I saw where she was solo at the piano again may not have been as exciting as she can be with a band, but it was still Tori at her quintessential best.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I heard, and I heard this a long time ago, that she has some arthiritis in her wrists and can't play as well as she used to. From what I heard, certain songs are too complex and involved for her wrists to take anymore, such as 'Father Lucifer' I think, which she doesn't play live anymore? Something like that? Or maybe it was 'Blood Roses'. Not sure. But when I heard that, they listed a few songs which were too painful for her to play anymore.

Which lead me to wonder back then, and still now, did the alleged arthritis affect her composition. Is she doing simpler, "safer" songs now b/c of it?

Just a thought.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting, I had not heard that. That's really sad if true. There are all kinds of rumors out there about her health just based on her appearance throughout the last tour, and the fact that she hinted in an interview that ADP might be her last tour but it seemed more about being a mom than anything else. But ... one wonders.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:42 AM
If she's having issues with her wrists, I wonder if it's carpal tunnel syndrome as well. I've known of other pianists to get that.

I was pretty underwhelmed with this new single. Based on how "meh" I am with her last two albums (I did like ADP more than beekeeper, but never even feel like listening to it), I might be done buying Tori albums.

Unless I hear it's zomg amazing.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I thought of that, too - some kind of repetitive motion strain. I thought I had that a couple of months ago - it was so painful I thought a day was coming when I couldn't sit at a computer anymore. But then I saw this bodyworker who worked on my jaw and my psoas muscle, and the issue in my hand totally went away after just one treatment. The areas he worked on were nowhere near my hand but it's all connected, he said. I'm a believer.

I still hold out some small glimmer of hope for another great Tori record, or at least some random great songs.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
Interesting, I had not heard that. That's really sad if true. There are all kinds of rumors out there about her health just based on her appearance throughout the last tour, and the fact that she hinted in an interview that ADP might be her last tour but it seemed more about being a mom than anything else. But ... one wonders.

I heard my rumor years ago. Waaaaaaay before Beekeeper or ADP. I don't even know if was a rumor. A friend of mine is a HUGE Toriphile, and my friend may have read it in an article and then told me about it. I can't remember. And that friend and I aren't really speaking these days, so I can't research it. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rumor, but something said in an article. And this was probably around Strange Little Girls or Scarlet's Walk time, possible even dating back to To Venus And Back days. I really can't remember.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzChivalry View Post
I heard my rumor years ago. Waaaaaaay before Beekeeper or ADP. I don't even know if was a rumor. A friend of mine is a HUGE Toriphile, and my friend may have read it in an article and then told me about it. I can't remember. And that friend and I aren't really speaking these days, so I can't research it. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rumor, but something said in an article. And this was probably around Strange Little Girls or Scarlet's Walk time, possible even dating back to To Venus And Back days. I really can't remember.
I was referring to other, unrelated, rumors about her health specifically around the last tour. I should have said "there are also rumors..."
Old 04-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Oh.

I didn't even catch that. hahahaha
Old 04-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:42 AM
I can't say I'd be surprised if she was having problems with her hands. A two decade career is a lot of abuse on them.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_man2002 View Post
Phoenix, CA

Watched the video. I got the feeling that it was a song about really letting go of her American identity, almost in a resigned way--how she lives in England now and is really never coming back. Perhaps she looked so ill in her little flag outfit to symbolize her feelings about the U.S., or how the country has lost its lustre, and even its direction, wandering around London. She looked refreshed and lovely where she's holding the camera, looking like a tourist, which could represent that she will never wholly fit into English life. Hmm. Just some ideas. I liked the song, though, and if she's coming to Phoenix, I'd really like to go see her this time.

Tags
aats, abnormally attracted, new tori, tori amos