Top Albums of the Naughtiest Decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that's your top 10, then I couldn't, personally, even begin to agree any more vehemently. ;) I mean, I'm serious, but not mean-spiritedly.

I read this like five times and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say about Lance's list.

Well, I know you're all anticipating my list on the decade (/sarcasm), but it may take some time since I've decided to do my 2009 wrap-up first. I'm hoping I finish a top albums list for THE OH NINE! by the end of the evening (doubtful). We shall see about the PFan Decadium.

Was agreeing with this, on the basis of those ten records being a top ten.

Hey, he has Sound of Silver and Alligator on that list, and they're definitely top albums for this decade. Not to mention Kid A and Fleet Foxes also being outstanding.

Couldn't disagree more, but I was just giving him shit. It's all good, I reckon. The only record on that list that I don't actively dislike is Kid A, but that doesn't make it a bad list. It just makes it a bad list for me.

I'm surprised you dislike those albums. I thought they were universally loved around here.

Honestly, my least favorite of the four I mentioned is Kid A.

I'll go with Top 15 for my list.

1. Kid A by Radiohead
2. No Line On The Horizon by U2
3. Year Zero by Nine Inch Nails
4. Black Holes and Revelations by Muse
5. In Rainbows by Radiohead
6. Sea Change by Beck
7. Death Magnetic by Metallica
8. Funeral by Arcade Fire
9. Hot Fuss by The Killers
10. The Slip by Nine Inch Nails
11. Parachutes by Coldplay
12. The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow
13. Modern Guilt by Beck
14. Actor by St. Vincent
15. The Rhumb Line by Ra Ra Riot

Popmartijn, no love for your fellow countrymen Bettie Serveert?

Oh, there's plenty of love (saw them live a few weeks ago and Carol is still :love: ). But I have to admit I don't have many of their albums yet (and Palomine was released 18 years ago, so not in this decade). Their only album of this decade that I have is Bare Stripped Naked, but I only got that one a few weeks ago and haven't listened to it that much yet. So it's too early for me to say if it's one of this decade's best.

I did see you included Log 22 on your list, so an :up: for that one.

Yeah their work this decade has been fairly maligned, but I think Log 22 is pretty amazing. It's all over the place, kind of their "White Album" in a way, but so rewarding in its diversity. The song White Dogs is an epic, Velvet Underground-inspired masterpiece, and one of my favs by the band.

Private Suit is another very good album from this decade, but a little mellower overall.

well it's the list you were all waiting for. i was 9 years old at the start of the decade. not really definitive, as i tried to rank them (iTunes tells me i've heard about 45 00 albums in all).

15. Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way (2002)
14. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008)
13. Architecture in Helsinki - Places Like This (2007)
12. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002)
11. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (2002)
10. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)
9. Hot Chip - The Warning (2006)
8. OutKast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (2003)
7. U2 - No Line on the Horizon (2009)
6. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (2009)
5. Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (2005)
4. Paul Dempsey - Everything is True (2009)
3. Coldplay - Parachutes (2000)
2. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)
1. Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)

a very honourable mention for The Marshall Mathers LP.

After much deliberation, I decided all I can do is a top three.

1. Radiohead – In Rainbows
2. The National – Alligator
3. The White Stripes – Elephant

I'm having a lot of trouble doing anything past that. That's what you'll get.

Not a good idea. You must not remember what happened the last time someone shouted "show us yer face!" to an unknown:

2uot06a.png

^^^^^

Good call on Twin Cinema. i forgot to include that on my make-shift list.
thanks, I love that album.

I knew I would forget something. Here's two more for my list:
Radiohead-In Rainbows
Fleet Foxes/ SunGiant EP

You guys need to remember that shouters primary criteria for evaluating music is the frat party test. If he can walk into a frat party and shout out the name of an album and no one knows what he's talking about, he likes it. If he shouts Kid A at a frat party there's always that one kid who says, "Oh The Radioheads!"

Fucking legacies.

13. Architecture in Helsinki - Places Like This (2007)

I still hate the bulk of this album, but thanks for reminding me to listen to "Underwater," "The Same Old Innocence," and "Heart It Races." If I were doing a top songs list, them shits would have to make an appearance, at some point. PERFECT, I say.

Yeah, I don't care for that as a full album either, but there really are a handful of incredible tracks. Great music videos too.

This decade there were four albums that were ahead of the pack and after that I really struggled to do any kind of ranking. The fifth spot could literally change everyday. So here are the top four:

1. A Rush of Blood To The Head by Coldplay
2. Liars by Todd Rundgren
3. Aerial by Kate Bush
4. The Dresden Dolls by The Dresden Dolls

The top five songs would be:

1. God Said by Todd Rundgren
2. Truce by Dresden Dolls
3. Politik by Coldplay
4. Fez-Being Born by U2
5. Aerial by Kate Bush

I just remembered the list that I had compiled for the Interference poll. I'm only really certain of the placement for numbers one and two.

1. Radiohead: In Rainbows
2. Radiohead: Kid A
3. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
4. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss: Raising Sand
5. White Stripes: De Stijl
6. Antony & The Johnsons: I Am a Bird Now
7. Arcade Fire: Funeral
8. Iron & Wine: The Shepherd’s Dog
9. U2: All That You Can’t Leave Behind
10. Björk: Vespertine
11. Sufjan Stevens: Seven Swans
12. Morrissey: You Are the Quarry
13. The Who: Endless Wire
14. Depeche Mode: Songs of the Universe
15. Peter Gabriel: Up

Raising Sand was admittedly pretty good, but as far as Plant this decade goes, Mighty Rearranger kicks the shit out of it,

I still hate the bulk of this album, but thanks for reminding me to listen to "Underwater," "The Same Old Innocence," and "Heart It Races." If I were doing a top songs list, them shits would have to make an appearance, at some point. PERFECT, I say.

:up: i know you do. i think it had something to do with listening to Places Like This before ICWD. there's some filler on it though.

i saw them live last week, they were fucking brilliant, if you ever get the chance.

1. Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol
2. A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay
3. The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
4. A Weekend In The City - Bloc Party
5. You Are The Quarry - Morrissey
6. An End Has A Start - Editors
7. In Rainbows - Radiohead
8. The Invisible Band - Travis
9. Kid A - Radiohead
10. No Line On The Horizon - U2

I'm a bit surprised by that, as well. But, really, none of the four Oasis albums released this decade were any good.

Now, if we were doing a best of the 90s, (What's The Story) Morning Glory? would be pretty high up there, for me. And probably for intedomine as well. I'm assuming.

Back
Top Bottom