Top Albums of the Naughtiest Decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Scumbo. You've listed Takk and Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust. What did ( ) kill your dog or something? What did it ever do to you?

So Scumbo. You'velisted Takk and Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust. What did ( ) kill your dog or something? What did it ever do to you?

Haha. I actually was just thinking I should have put in () and left Med Sud off. It's a toss up though, as I like both. I didn't list any artist more than twice, or you would likely have seen all three and seen more Radiohead.

Also, I just realized The Photo Album wasn't '99. It's been added.

Holy crap, I swear I had BSB and Stage Names in there right up top! Must have accidentally deleted. They're there now. :cool:

Then, all is right in the universe once more. Which Idlewild album would you suggest starting with? I've been meaning to give them a listen for some time now, since (I think) they're one of your favorite bands.

Haha. I actually was just thinking I should have put in () and left Med Sud off. It's a toss up though, as I like both. I didn't list any artist more than twice, or you would likely have seen all three and seen more Radiohead.

Also, I just realized The Photo Album wasn't '99. It's been added.

That makes sense. I shamelessly included Okkervil River's entire discography in my top 100, so obviously the two-per-band rule wasn't really registering with me.

I find your lack of We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes disturbing.

Then, all is right in the universe once more. Which Idlewild album would you suggest starting with? I've been meaning to give them a listen for some time now, since (I think) they're one of your favorite bands.

They are. Definitely the two I listed, 100 Broken Windows and In Remote Part. 100 Broken Windows is more "raw" and closer to their original punk leanings, and In Remote Part was their first album to receive better production and an effort to push them into the mainstream (which it did quite well in the UK). They opened for REM (on more than one tour I think), Pearl Jam, and U2. Strangely, when I first became a Bang and Clatter regular, they were one of the most popular bands on here. That was one of the reasons I became a regular, to talk Idlewild.

Here's an example (probably the biggest single from 100 Broken Windows):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0mehFTr0I

On a sad note, this was the first time I've made a year end list where they had a new album released, and I didn't include it. It had some great singles, but I couldn't get into it as a proper album.

That makes sense. I shamelessly included Okkervil River's entire discography in my top 100, so obviously the two-per-band rule wasn't really registering with me.

I find your lack of We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes disturbing.

Yeah, pretty much all if it would have made mine too.

I always confuse We Have the Facts and Something About Airplanes, and can never remember which I'm not a huge fan of. Something is the one I don't necessarily love. Do you have the John Byrd EP? It has a really great live versions of 405, and a bunch of live Photo Album tracks. It's quite good for a live release.

I've had that EP for some time now, although I gave away my physical copy during the great CD-to-vinyl switcheroo. Love everything about it. Anything with "Photobooth" on it is okay in my book, and it's nice to have a copy of the epic live version of "We Looked Like Giants." They only played that once of the three times I've seen them, but it was a huge standout.

We should probably bump the Death Cab thread considering tangents are emerging in this and the Best of 2009 thread. Seems like good timing since I'm finally remembering how much I used to love them.

We should probably bump the Death Cab thread considering tangents are emerging in this and the Best of 2009 thread. Seems like good timing since I'm finally remembering how much I used to love them.

Good call.

Making the favorites of the decade list sorta brought me back to a few things I absolutely loved at the first of decade, but sorta shunned later on. Kinda nice to reconcile yourself with music that you may not love as much as you once did, but still had a major impact on what type of music you like now.

Making the favorites of the decade list sorta bring me back to a few things I absolutely loved at the first of decade, but sorta shunned later on. Kinda nice to reconcile yourself with music that you may not love as much as you once did, but still had a major impact on what type of music you like now.

Absolutely. That's another reason Laz crying about my lack of Shuttlecock and inclusion of two Coldplay albums isn't warranted. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Rush of Blood or Parachutes, but it's undeniable that they were touchstones of the early decade for me and deserve a place on my top 100.

Another thing to consider, at least for most of the younger posters here, is the fact that we were pretty damn young at the beginning of the decade. I turned 13 in 2000. Obviously my scope of the entire thing was much different back then. But to leave out things I loved just because they're not as "cool" in hindsight would be doing a tremendous disservice to how my tastes have evolved over ten years.

Just realized I meant to put Elephant, but wrote in White Blood Cells instead. Whoopsie.

Did anyone see Metacritic's Best of the Decade lists? The album list is what you'd expect, and suffers from the same problems they always do for music, but I found the Artists lists really interesting, as they base it on overall reviews and total number of releases that artist had for the decade. i think you'll be impressed with what artists made the top 35:

The Best Music of the Decade - Metacritic

It made me feel old, Cori.

Funny you should mention Elephant, as I'm pretty sure I underrated it when it was all said and done.

Interesting to see Metacritic pick Spoon as the artist of the decade. I guess they were a real dark horse for that all along. There are some solid picks I'm happy to see get recognition in their top 35.

Another thing to consider, at least for most of the younger posters here, is the fact that we were pretty damn young at the beginning of the decade. I turned 13 in 2000. Obviously my scope of the entire thing was much different back then. But to leave out things I loved just because they're not as "cool" in hindsight would be doing a tremendous disservice to how my tastes have evolved over ten years.

Exactly. I turned 11 in 2000 myself, and the Eminem and 50 Cent albums showing up on my list are a direct result of my listening earlier in the decade. The Marshall Mathers LP holds up decidedly better than Get Rich or Die Tryin', but both were some of the first hip-hop I listened to (gangsta rap was my specialty back then and all), which has, obviously, had a HUGE impact on my current listening habits, in which hip-hop is still a staple.

They are. Definitely the two I listed, 100 Broken Windows and In Remote Part. 100 Broken Windows is more "raw" and closer to their original punk leanings, and In Remote Part was their first album to receive better production and an effort to push them into the mainstream (which it did quite well in the UK). They opened for REM (on more than one tour I think), Pearl Jam, and U2. Strangely, when I first became a Bang and Clatter regular, they were one of the most popular bands on here. That was one of the reasons I became a regular, to talk Idlewild.

Here's an example (probably the biggest single from 100 Broken Windows):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0mehFTr0I

On a sad note, this was the first time I've made a year end list where they had a new album released, and I didn't include it. It had some great singles, but I couldn't get into it as a proper album.

Awesome, thanks. I liked that song quite a bit, so I'll be checking them out for sure now. Too bad this year's album from them wasn't up to your expectations though.

Last edited:

Drive-By Truckers at #7. This is a band I always hear good things about. They've popped up on a lot of best of the decade stuff but I've never seen them talked about around here. They seem like something I could probably dig, but I wouldn't really know where to start. And they're from Athens, GA, which we all know is one of the best music breeding grounds in the world. Does anyone know anything about these guys?

All I know of them is that Stephen King loves them - he brings them up in his Entertainment Weekly column often. I saw one of their albums on a top of the decade list, and checked it out. It didn't do anything for me.

I feel like they're in town a lot, although I can't say I've ever listened to them or know anyone who has.

Here are my favourite picks of this decade, in a rough order of preference:

1. Johan - Pergola
2. Emmylou Harris - Red Dirt Girl
3. Voicst - A Tale Of Two Devils
4. GEM - New
5. Roosbeef - Ze Willen Wel Je Hond Aaien Maar Niet Met Je Praten
6. U2 - No Line On The Horizon
7. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
8. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
9. Tröckener Kecks - >TK
10. Solomon Burke - Don't Give Up On Me
11. Jasper Steverlinck - Songs Of Innocence
12. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
13. Moloko - Things To Make And Do
14. U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
15. Voicst - 11 – 11
16. Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends
17. Adele - 19
18. Thé Lau - De God Van Nederland
19. The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls
20. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
21. Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
22. Duffy - Rockferry
23. Brian Wilson - Smile
24. Ed Harcourt - Here Be Monsters
25. Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man
26. Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions
27. Spinvis - Spinvis
28. Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
29. The Frames - The Cost
30. Pearl Jam - Binaural
31. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
32. Emmylou Harris - Stumble Into Grace
33. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Stay Human
34. Muse - Absolution
35. Prince - Musicology
36. Radiohead - In Rainbows
37. dEUS - Vantage Point
38. Mavis Staples - We'll Never Turn Back
39. Neil Diamond - 12 Songs
40. Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel
41. Daft Punk - Discovery
42. Johnny Cash - American V: A Hundred Highways
43. Ryan Adams - Gold
44. The Waterboys - Universal Hall
45. Razorlight - Razorlight
46. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
47. Tricky - Blowback
48. Michael Franti & Spearhead - Yell Fire!
49. Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten
50. Kanye West - Late Registration

Just realized I meant to put Elephant, but wrote in White Blood Cells instead. Whoopsie.

Did anyone see Metacritic's Best of the Decade lists? The album list is what you'd expect, and suffers from the same problems they always do for music, but I found the Artists lists really interesting, as they base it on overall reviews and total number of releases that artist had for the decade. i think you'll be impressed with what artists made the top 35:

The Best Music of the Decade - Metacritic

Super Furry Animals at #3.

RESPECT.

Music is shit. So I'm only posting a top 10. Deal with it.

1. Bjork - Vespertine
2. Beck - Sea Change
3. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
4. Radiohead - Kid A
5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
6. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes/Sun Giant EP
7. Wilco - A Ghost is Born
8. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
9. The National - Alligator
10. Sufjan Stevens - Greetings From Michigan: The Great Lakes State

If that's your top 10, then I couldn't, personally, even begin to agree any more vehemently. ;) I mean, I'm serious, but not mean-spiritedly.

Back
Top Bottom