Top Albums of the Naughtiest Decade - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:47 PM
So Scumbo. You've listed Takk and Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust. What did ( ) kill your dog or something? What did it ever do to you?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #92
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
So Scumbo. You'velisted Takk and Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust. What did ( ) kill your dog or something? What did it ever do to you?
Haha. I actually was just thinking I should have put in () and left Med Sud off. It's a toss up though, as I like both. I didn't list any artist more than twice, or you would likely have seen all three and seen more Radiohead.

Also, I just realized The Photo Album wasn't '99. It's been added.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Holy crap, I swear I had BSB and Stage Names in there right up top! Must have accidentally deleted. They're there now.
Then, all is right in the universe once more. Which Idlewild album would you suggest starting with? I've been meaning to give them a listen for some time now, since (I think) they're one of your favorite bands.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Haha. I actually was just thinking I should have put in () and left Med Sud off. It's a toss up though, as I like both. I didn't list any artist more than twice, or you would likely have seen all three and seen more Radiohead.

Also, I just realized The Photo Album wasn't '99. It's been added.
That makes sense. I shamelessly included Okkervil River's entire discography in my top 100, so obviously the two-per-band rule wasn't really registering with me.

I find your lack of We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes disturbing.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #95
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
Then, all is right in the universe once more. Which Idlewild album would you suggest starting with? I've been meaning to give them a listen for some time now, since (I think) they're one of your favorite bands.
They are. Definitely the two I listed, 100 Broken Windows and In Remote Part. 100 Broken Windows is more "raw" and closer to their original punk leanings, and In Remote Part was their first album to receive better production and an effort to push them into the mainstream (which it did quite well in the UK). They opened for REM (on more than one tour I think), Pearl Jam, and U2. Strangely, when I first became a Bang and Clatter regular, they were one of the most popular bands on here. That was one of the reasons I became a regular, to talk Idlewild.

Here's an example (probably the biggest single from 100 Broken Windows):
Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:47 AM
ATYCLB would probably be in my top 50 for the decade and NLOTH would probably make the top 100.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #97
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
That makes sense. I shamelessly included Okkervil River's entire discography in my top 100, so obviously the two-per-band rule wasn't really registering with me.

I find your lack of We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes disturbing.
Yeah, pretty much all if it would have made mine too.

I always confuse We Have the Facts and Something About Airplanes, and can never remember which I'm not a huge fan of. Something is the one I don't necessarily love. Do you have the John Byrd EP? It has a really great live versions of 405, and a bunch of live Photo Album tracks. It's quite good for a live release.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I've had that EP for some time now, although I gave away my physical copy during the great CD-to-vinyl switcheroo. Love everything about it. Anything with "Photobooth" on it is okay in my book, and it's nice to have a copy of the epic live version of "We Looked Like Giants." They only played that once of the three times I've seen them, but it was a huge standout.

We should probably bump the Death Cab thread considering tangents are emerging in this and the Best of 2009 thread. Seems like good timing since I'm finally remembering how much I used to love them.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #99
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
We should probably bump the Death Cab thread considering tangents are emerging in this and the Best of 2009 thread. Seems like good timing since I'm finally remembering how much I used to love them.
Good call.

Making the favorites of the decade list sorta brought me back to a few things I absolutely loved at the first of decade, but sorta shunned later on. Kinda nice to reconcile yourself with music that you may not love as much as you once did, but still had a major impact on what type of music you like now.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Making the favorites of the decade list sorta bring me back to a few things I absolutely loved at the first of decade, but sorta shunned later on. Kinda nice to reconcile yourself with music that you may not love as much as you once did, but still had a major impact on what type of music you like now.
Absolutely. That's another reason Laz crying about my lack of Shuttlecock and inclusion of two Coldplay albums isn't warranted. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to Rush of Blood or Parachutes, but it's undeniable that they were touchstones of the early decade for me and deserve a place on my top 100.

Another thing to consider, at least for most of the younger posters here, is the fact that we were pretty damn young at the beginning of the decade. I turned 13 in 2000. Obviously my scope of the entire thing was much different back then. But to leave out things I loved just because they're not as "cool" in hindsight would be doing a tremendous disservice to how my tastes have evolved over ten years.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #101
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:47 AM

I still need to make my list...
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
I turned 13 in 2000.

From time to time I am reminded of the age differences of posters on this site. Yowza, that makes me feel old!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #103
Blue Meth Addict

Just realized I meant to put Elephant, but wrote in White Blood Cells instead. Whoopsie.

Did anyone see Metacritic's Best of the Decade lists? The album list is what you'd expect, and suffers from the same problems they always do for music, but I found the Artists lists really interesting, as they base it on overall reviews and total number of releases that artist had for the decade. i think you'll be impressed with what artists made the top 35:

The Best Music of the Decade - Metacritic
Old 01-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It made me feel old, Cori.

Funny you should mention Elephant, as I'm pretty sure I underrated it when it was all said and done.

Interesting to see Metacritic pick Spoon as the artist of the decade. I guess they were a real dark horse for that all along. There are some solid picks I'm happy to see get recognition in their top 35.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
It made me feel old, Cori.
I hear that. I can't believe it's been almost ten years since I moved to Seattle ... and that I was 26 when I moved here.

That's just ..... so weird.