Top 25 Songwriters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a shit list...

Public Enemy, Jay Z, Radiohead, and Beck are all amazing artist but I would never put them on a list like this. To me when I think of a good song writer I think of someone who can craft a good song that would stand on it's own, if you hand it to another artisit it would still be a good song. These artists have very few songs that would fit into that definition.

As long as the top 3 are right (except I'd swap Lennon/McCartney and Dylan).

Once again I'm embarrassed for U2 being on this list, one notch BELOW Randy Newman? The man can write some effective soundtrack pieces but Greatest Songwriter, hardly. I'm not even gonna try and comprehend Dolly Parton being on this among others.

Also, yes any list like this without Cohen or R.E.M. is so incredibly off-base. Or any Beatle.

The man can write some effective soundtrack pieces but Greatest Songwriter, hardly.

You've clearly never listed to Sail Away, 12 Songs, and Good Old Boys, all of which contain some of the most affecting lyrics and biting satire of any rock album I've come across. He's a brilliant songwriter.

Also, where the fuck is Ray Davies and Paul Simon?

Actually I can agree with that opinion, although I still don't think I'd rank him on a list like this, I was just lashing out seeing him a notch higher than U2 haha. True though he is not just a creator of soundtrack fodder.

Oh, OK. It does bug me when he's pegged unfairly as a creator of Disney soundtracks, as he's made a handful of albums that are up there with the best I've heard. :shrug:

I love U2, Radiohead, etc. more, but I still find it strange that they're on a list strictly for songwriters. Leonard Cohen, Paul Simon, Pete Townshend, and Ray Davies all stand higher in that regard IMO.

Strange list. I don't think "songwriting" is what makes Radiohead click. They don't belong on this list.

No Elvis Costello, Prince and Patti Smith? I think they left of Pete Townsend too, but I can't be bothered going back to look at that crappy list to tell for sure.

It was nice to see U2, Radiohead and Public Enemy on there, but Barry Manilow? I can understand Carole King, Elton John and even Neil Diamond, but Barry Manilow? Seriously?

It just seems like they took any hip new artist or classic rock band and just assumed they were all great songwriters.

However, Dylan, Young, Springsteen, Lennon/Mcartney can't be argued in any way.

But what about Leonard Cohen? He was a poet before he was a songwriter.

And what about some newer artists like Joanna Newsom or John Darnielle?

For my money, I'll take the songwriting of Richey Edwards and Nicky Wire (of the Manic Street Preachers) over anyone on that list any day.

Back
Top Bottom