Top 10 Madonna songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm loving the love for 'Survival' - but beyond 'Deeper And Deeper' I'm not seeing much love for the 'Erotica' album... Bad Girl, Erotica, Why's It So Hard, In This Life and Rain are cracking tunes...

I'm loving the love for 'Survival' - but beyond 'Deeper And Deeper' I'm not seeing much love for the 'Erotica' album... Bad Girl, Erotica, Why's It So Hard, In This Life and Rain are cracking tunes...

Actually, 'Waiting' almost made my list. That song's groove is just pure sexxx!

I do really like 'Erotica' the song, but I think she already did pretty much the same thing with 'Justify My Love', and I personally happen to like Justify better. No shame to 'Erotica' though.

i'm very surprised ray of light has never become a "rock" cover song... that's easily my favourite madonna song.

I'm surprised you like her Annie, you know what she uses, right?

She's a great pop star. She's never pretended to be great singer but she just makes great pop songs. Plus she has been around since the 80's so is she had a very successful career before 1997 then she don't really need it, she just needs to work at hard which she always does anyway. Plus I don't own any of her studio albums, I just have her 2 greatest hits.

I have tried and tried to get into both Erotica and Bedtime Stories, especially after seeing so much love for them from certain posters here, and have failed miserably. Other than a couple of songs off each album, I just can't get into them. The non-hits on them bore me to tears.

I watched some videos from the Blond Ambition tour on youtube the other night. God I loved that tour. I have watched it over and over and over, over the years. I guess the songs from that tour represent a big chunk of my favorite Madonna songs.

I've never listened to a whole lot of Madonna, but recently I was reminded of what a great song "Beautiful Stranger" is. I really love it.

She's a great pop star. She's never pretended to be great singer but she just makes great pop songs. Plus she has been around since the 80's so is she had a very successful career before 1997 then she don't really need it, she just needs to work at hard which she always does anyway. Plus I don't own any of her studio albums, I just have her 2 greatest hits.

So why change your standards with Chili Peppers, Sting, or Bono? They all had successful careers since the 80's and make great songs... Yet with them you are willing to crack their CDs or call them lying scumbags based on what someone told you in a blog, even if it's true or not.

I love the Bad Girl video! :love: Christopher Walken adds a whole new coolness to it too.

Btw, am I the only one that likes Jump so much? :wink:

I love Jump!

My top 10 -
Into the Groove
I Deserve it
Gone
Hung Up
Swim
Justify My Love
Rescue Me
Borderline
The Power of Goodbye

I love 95% of the songs on Confessions. The other 5%, I just like a lot. ;) Jump is in the 95the percentile.

I love I Love New York - I know the lyrics are silly, but I don't care. It's a rockin' tune!

The only songs I like a tiny bit less than the others are Push and Let It Will Be.

I love I Love New York - I know the lyrics are silly, but I don't care. It's a rockin' tune!

The only songs I like a tiny bit less than the others are Push and Let It Will Be.

Confessions rocks. I Love New York is the only downer on it for me. Although, I think the live version of Let It Will Be surpasses the album version. It's amazing.

No particular order, except that "True Blue" is my all-time favorite Madonna song.

True Blue
Burning Up
Live to Tell
Jump
Gone
Oh Father
Vogue
Secret
Sky Fits Heaven
Beat Goes On

I love the Bad Girl video! :love: Christopher Walken adds a whole new coolness to it too.

Btw, am I the only one that likes Jump so much? :wink:

Both Bad Girl and Jump are cool songs. They're easily in my Top 20, but not my Top 10. Bad Girl probably would've been number 11.

Okay, so why don't you guys like I Love New York? Is it the lyrics, or are there other reasons?

Okay, so why don't you guys like I Love New York? Is it the lyrics, or are there other reasons?

It's primarily the lyrics, which are just really, really bad. But not only that, it's her delivery of the vocals in the verses. It just makes me cringe - I hate how she's singing it.

The chorus isn't too bad, though. And I like the music. But overall, it falls short of the other songs.

It's primarily the lyrics, which are just really, really bad. But not only that, it's her delivery of the vocals in the verses. It just makes me cringe - I hate how she's singing it.

The chorus isn't too bad, though. And I like the music. But overall, it falls short of the other songs.

Once again, Phanan says exactly what I wanted to! :up:

So why change your standards with Chili Peppers, Sting, or Bono? They all had successful careers since the 80's and make great songs... Yet with them you are willing to crack their CDs or call them lying scumbags based on what someone told you in a blog, even if it's true or not.

Why are you bringing up this again? I read in 2 other articles as well as the blog, one of them was written in Danish so I didn't understand. And also you can hear it on the song. I also said that I believe Bono was not at fault for that because you can sing on a stage thinking that you are singing right in pitch. Then when you listen back you realize that you wasn't at all. I never cracked U2's or Sting's CD'S. Edge said in Mojo that he prefers raw production where you don't get obsessed with searching for perfection. And I read that Sting has recorded a duet with Sheryl Crowe (who I also think has a great voice herself) and these listeners heard it on there. And people on here said that they don't like Anthony Kiedis voice but I thought he sounded ok in Under The Bridge.

But back on topic, I forgot to put Who's That Girl. For some reason this song and Oh Father was left of the Immaculate Collection. They say that Madonna is not known for her lyrics but I think Oh Father has great lyrics. It's about her difficult relationship with her dad.

Last edited:
Oh Father has some of the best lines in a song ever, imo:

Maybe someday
When I look back
I'll be able to say
You didn't mean to be cruel
Somebody hurt you too

That is so true when you think about someone - anyone - who hurt you.

I can relate to 'Oh Father' big time - it's such a full on lyric - so is Proimise To Try -

Little girl dont you forget her face
Laughing away your tears
When she was the one who felt all the pain

Little girl never forget her eyes
Keep them alive inside
I promise to try -- its not the same

Keep your head held high -- ride like the wind
Never look behind, life isnt fair
Thats what you said, so I try not to care

Little girl dont run away so fast
I think you forgot to kiss -- kiss her goodbye

Will she see me cry when I stumble and fall
Does she hear my voice in the night when I call
Wipe away all your tears, its gonna be all right

I fought to be so strong, I guess you knew
I was afraid youd go away, too

Little girl youve got to forget the past
And learn to forgive me
I promise to try -- but it feels like a lie

Dont let memory play games with your mind
Shes a faded smile frozen in time
Im still hanging on -- but Im doing it wrong
Cant kiss her goodbye -- but I promise to try

Those lyrics matched with the images of her in 'Truth Or Dare' lying on her Mum's grave telling her how much she regrets not having the chance to share her success with her just kills me.

Such a simple song - but when you realise she's singing it from the point of view of a 6 year old girl faced with her mother's death and her father's inability to move on it is just so damn powerful. Promise To Try and Oh Father are the moments that Madonna moved away from being a pop star to being an artist IMO.

Like A Prayer
Ray of Light
Sky Fits Heaven
Future Lovers
Cherish
Rain
Vogue
Open Your Heart
Nobody's Perfect
Hung Up

(and in the runner ups)
Give It 2 Me
Into the Groove
Don't Tell Me
Express Yourself
Human Nature

:drool:

I love, love, LOVE the live version where she slips into Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" - it's a perfect fit!

Seeing it live was the reason it made into my unofficial top five. The area I live in was evacuated because of potential flooding back in the summer of 2006...the day before I was supposed to see the 'Confessions Tour' in NYC.

When the waters receded (without flooding), I traveled on into see the concert, and as Madonna made her appearance that night...it bordered on a religious experience for myself. One of the greatest openings ever...I'll stack it up there with seeing the 'Elevation' tour one month after 9/11.

Vogue
You'll see
Hung Up
Like a prayer
Human Nature
Into the groove
Love profusion
Justify my love
La isla bonita:heart:
Who's that girl:cute:

The following sums up Madonna's top 10, IMO, in no particular order:

Like a Virgin