Top 10 Christmas Songs of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
Well, JC's B-Day is 13 days away, so celebrate the occasion by giving us your Top 10 All Time Favorite Christmas Songs!

Because, you simply can't get enough of these blasted Top 10's, right? :hyper:

1- Band Aid- Do They Know Its Christmas?
2- John Lennon- Happy Xmas (War is Over)
3- Elmo and Patsy- Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer
4- U2- (Christmas) Baby, Please Come Home
5- Nat King Cole- The Christmas Song
6- Frank Sinatra- Jingle Bells
7- Hall and Oates- Jingle Bell Rock
8- Run DMC- Christmas in Hollis
9- Dan Fogelberg- Same Old Lang Syne
10- The Waitresses- Christmas Wrapping

1. Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus is Coming to Town (I just love it when he starts laughing, brings a smile to my face every time)
2. Trans Siberian Orchestra - Carol of the Bells
3. John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War is Over)
4. Burl Ives - Holly, Jolly Christmas
5. Barenaked Ladies - God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman / We Three Kings (feat. Sarah McLachlan)
6. Paul McCartney - Wonderful Christmastime
7. Bing Crosby - I'll Be Home for Christmas (personal reasons on that one)
8. Various - Sleigh Ride
9. John Williams - Home Alone Main Titles :)lol:, it really is always on my Christmas playlists though )
10. Vince Guaraldi - Christmas Time is Here

:hmm: I think that's it.

I loves me some Christmas songs :drool:

There are so many classics. I do love Bruce's 'Santa Claus Is Coming to Town' and John Lennon's 'Happy Xmas' but I'm more a fan of the old standards. And the big church-choir style ones. Off the top of my head...

Silent Night (my all-time favorite fo sho)
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Angels We Have Heard On High
The Christmas Song
Oh Holy Night
Silver Bells
White Christmas
Let It Snow
Oh Come All Ye Faithful

Hell, there's probably a bunch more I'll think of later. The Chipmunks had some fun ones that I used to rock when I was little. There's a good one in the movie Love, Actually that I can't remember at all right now. Christmas songs are the shit.

1. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town ~ Bruce Springsteen
2. White Christmas ~ Bing Crosby
3. Jingle Bells ~ Frank Sinatra
4. Baby Please Come Home ~ U2
5. Silent Night ~ Josh Groban
6. Tennessee Christmas ~ Amy Grant
7. Merry Christmas Baby ~ Bruce Springsteen
8. Count Your Blessings Instead Of Sheep ~ Bing Crosby
9. Wizards In Winter ~ TSO
10. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas ~ Christina Aguilera

As much as 12 Days Of Christmas annoys me, I like the Muppets version :reject:

Oh yeah, I love's me some christmas songs. I sometimes listen to them in the middle of the year too :reject:

1. Do they know it's Christmas - Band Aid - can't help but chuckle when Sting sings "bitter sting"

2. Last Christmas - Wham! - best use of Christmas jumpers ever

3. Green Christmas - Barenaked Ladies - a little bit scroogey but kinda true

4. The Happy Elf - Harry Connick jnr. - a jaunty tune that gets my feet a tappin

5. Baby Please Come Home - U2 - baby Bono :drool:

6. I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - primary school fun

7. Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer - Dr Elmo - no explanation necessary

8. Christmas in Hollis - Run DMC - funny to play at work when the grannies are expecting Bing Crosby

9. All I Want for Christmas - Mariah Carey - should be bad but is oooh sooo goood

10. Six White Boomers - Rolf Harris - funny accents, wobble boards, heartwarming tale, what else do you need
YouTube - Six White Boomers

Of course I love all the classics sung by Frankie or Bing :heart:

Seriously, that Darkness song has become my most listened to Christmas song of the past 4 or 5 years. Not bad for a gimmick band!

1) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

2) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

3) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

4) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

5) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

6) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

7) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

8) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

9) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

10) Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

1/ Do they Know It's Christmas (Band Aid) I don't care what Bono says, the original is the best
2/ The Power Of Love (Frankie Goes To Hollywood) There best song. It's even more powerful when you watch the video where it shows a version of the Nativity play. It's not actually a boy meets girl love song it's about the birth of Jesus.
3/ Fairytale Of New York (The Pogues and Kirsty McCall) This is always no1 in the list of the best christmas songs. I never could understood what he was saying until my mum told me that it was about a couple who spent their lives on drugs. It's his teeth and you think with his money that he gets from the play of this song alone would be enough for him to get them fixed. I'm not talking about straight teeth, I don't have straight teeth, but just having a full mouth of teeth would be a help.
4/ War Is Over (John Lennon)
5/ I wish it could be Christmas everyday (Queen)
6/ that Paul McCartney song
7/ On A Saviour's Day (Cliff Richard) I know it's embarasing but heck it's Christmas
8/ Snow Is Falling (Shakin' Stevens) Same reason as above
9/ Last Christmas (Wham)
10/ Don't Let the Bells Ring Out (Darkness)

I don't like it when artists release a non seasonal song around christmas time and in order to give it that December feel they simply put a few bells in and they release a video with snow and everyone dressed in white. East 17 did that and numourous others. Nowadays the X Factor song always gets to no1 in Britain.

1. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
2. Let It Snow - Dean Martin
3. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
4. Fairytale Of New York - The Pogues and Kristy MacColl
5. Last Christmas - Wham
6. All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey
7. Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid
8. Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon
9. Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney
10. (Christmas) Baby, Please Come Home - U2

Honorable Mention: The Nexus/A Christmas Hug - Dennis McCarthy (Thanks Screwtape, for making me aware of this beautiful piece of music. :) )

Is anyone else seeing a really funky format that happened after Cinnaminson's post? For me, it looks like every post after hers is appearing as a quote in her post. Like, the other posts after hers are indented, rather than the user info appearing on the far left of the page.

Weird.

Is anyone else seeing a really funky format that happened after Cinnaminson's post? For me, it looks like every post after hers is appearing as a quote in her post. Like, the other posts after hers are indented, rather than the user info appearing on the far left of the page.

Weird.

Yeah, she must have edited the youtube link.

I try to keep my Christmas music listening confined to only Christmas Day. Otherwise, I tend to get crazy listening to Last Christmas a million freakin' times.

I will admit, The Carpenters Christmas album from 1978 is pretty awesome. Karen had such a great voice. :sad:

Choosing only 10 was very hard.

1. Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song

Those strings! That voice! This is the song that makes Christmas for me. No other version of the song comes close. The intro makes me swoon.

YouTube - The Christmas Song sung by Nat King Cole

2. The King's Singers - The Gift

This song makes me cry. So beautiful. When the simple piano line comes in after the first verse ... and then that violin .... their voices ... excuse me just a moment .... *sniffle* (The whole album is amazing.)

YouTube - The Gift (Simple Gifts)

3. Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas

Yeah, it's cheating to list the whole album, but I don't care. The whole thing is wonderful.

YouTube - The Peanuts Christmas Music

4. Vanessa Williams - What Child Is This

This is probably my favorite Christmas traditional carol, and I just love this arrangement. Really fun to sing, too.

YouTube - U-MV160 - Vanessa Williams - What Child Is This

5. Arthur Fiedler & the Boston Pops - Sleigh Ride

There are 5,603,634 versions of this song, but the first one I heard, and the one I grew up loving was this one.

YouTube - Sleigh Ride 2007

6. Band-Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas

I had the 45 of the single, and I loved the b-side, with the extended mix where all the artists said hello. Then one year I stepped on my beloved 45 and broke it. :(

YouTube - Do they know it's christmas

7. Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

Yeah, I love the U2 version just as much, but I have to go with the original when making a list. The whole Phil Spector album this is on is great (save one or two really weird songs).

YouTube - Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby please come home)

8. Judy Garland - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

I love this version not just because it's the original, but because it's the one version that's melancholy. It's not a happy song, and every other version I've heard takes away that sadness that's at the heart of the song. And it always changes the line "until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." People, that's an important line! Plus, it's Judy Garland.

YouTube - Judy Garland-Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

9. Sting - Gabriel's Message

I love the carols you hardly ever hear. When I first heard this one on the Very Special Christmas CD, I fell in love with it. I love the carols that are dark and mysterious, because hello, the whole of the Christmas story is the mystery and wonder of the virgin birth and all that.

YouTube - U-MV160 - Sting - Gabriel's Message

10. Ella Fitzgerald - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

Ella's Christmas CD is one of my favorites. I did actually want to put the Harry Connick Jr version on the list, but it's not on YouTube. (It's seriously swoon-worthy.)

YouTube - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve by Ella Fitzgerald

I can't believe no one's mentioned Bowie and Bing's "Little Drummer Boy;" shit's way past classic.

I don't know if there is a definitive version of recent vintage, but, Silent Night is and always will be my favorite Christmas song. I've heard it in Latin, too, and even that's awesome.

I was trying to find a YouTube version of my favorite Silent Night rendition, which is the Boyz II Men version from the second Very Special Christmas CD. The best I could do was this one, which is four guys singing in a hallway. They're very good, though.

YouTube - Legaci singing "Silent Night" cover by boyz to men

Skip to about :30 for the singing to start. Just a beautiful arrangement; amazing harmonies.

My other favorite version is the one by Mannheim Steamroller. I think most of their (his?) stuff is rather appallingly cheesy, but when they/he sticks to the more traditional type of thing, it's very nice.

YouTube - Still Nacht ~ Manheim Steamroller

Hey Cori, I know where you can get a copy of that 45, in the sleeve for $3.50 :hmm:

Alas, I haven't had a record player for years. :)

Back
Top Bottom