Tom Waits Themed Dilemma(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZeroDude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was wondering, and this in itself can be considered somewhat narcissistic, if not jokingly so, in an oft self deprecating, partially drunken fashion. But how, and yes I mean this, how do I convince someone that listening to Tom Waits is a good idea?

Now the person in question is a good friend of mine, and one that I’ve already coerced into joining the Cohen and Walker trains respectively (although not including ’I’m Your Man’ or ’The Tilt’). So, do I throw them ’Swordfishtrombones’ or ‘Bone Machine’, or do I start gently, say ’Nighthawks at the Diner’ gently, or do I persevere with the aforementioned.

Or do I give up completely, I mean, she doesn’t even find Alain Delon attractive at all.

People are strange. :lol:

I was wondering, and this in itself can be considered somewhat narcissistic, if not jokingly so, in an oft self deprecating, partially drunken fashion. But how, and yes I mean this, how do I convince someone that listening to Tom Waits is a good idea?

Well, I wouldn't begin with sentences like this cause I have no idea what you're on about.

I have no idea what the fuck you just said.

But I would introduce someone to Tom Waits in the following order:

1. Swordfishtrombones
2. Rain Dogs
3. Bone Machine

^
Thank you! I was wondering though, whether or not his earlier escapades, although not representative of his later work, would be more accessible to traditional singer-songwriter fans.

‘partially drunken fashion’

That’s probably the important bit. Cheers though!

In the cold light of day, I’ll regret this. Either this or the nasty things I've said regarding Jean Pierre Melville.

Thank you! I was wondering though, whether or not his earlier escapades, although not representative of his later work, would be more accessible to traditional singer-songwriter fans.

Probably. Plus, his voice got rougher over time. But those three records are Tom Waits in his absolute prime, and if they don't care for those, the rest likely won't do much for them.

Probably. Plus, his voice got rougher over time. But those three records are Tom Waits in his absolute prime, and if they don't care for those, the rest likely won't do much for them.

That’s likely to be true. Funnily enough, you’ve pretty much reaffirmed my initial take on the ‘situation‘. Nevertheless, second opinions and all that.

Cheers. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom