Tindersticks - new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I realize I probably shouldn't be the one to make this thread, as I've only heard their first two albums (love them both; Tindersticks has become one of the most significant musical surprises I've had recently), but someone has to. Their music is highly orchestral, but the volume is kept pretty low, implementing touches of jazz and lounge regularly. Stuart Staples' voice takes a bit of getting used to, but like Matt Berninger of The National, it has a comforting quality and depth that has really grown on me over time.

Their new record Falling Down A Mountain is being released January 25. I have the files and will report back shortly. Not sure how it could compare to their classic opening duo of records, but I still can't wait.

For those of you who would like a couple of samples:

YouTube - City Sickness [Tindersticks]

YouTube - TINDERSTICKS MY SISTER MARK RADCLIFFE BBC SESSION 1995

jazz and lounge... i don't have enough of outside of Steely Dan and Richard Cheese.

Don't think of Steely Dan and Richard Cheese, more like a jazz Tom Waits or Nick Cave (especially around The Boatman's Call). BTW, their third record, Curtains, is a masterpiece.

All music should be judged on a scale of 1 to Tindersticks.
:)

I'm going to have to admit of only having heard of them last week :reject:, but count me in now :up:.

looking drastic at work for that date :(
will try to convince my boss to 'tweak' the planning a bit

Please do.
I bought my ticket today, so I'll be there.
(that it's a 5 minute bike ride from my house is a plus)

Not sure how I feel about Falling Down A Mountain on first listen. The songs are uniformly pretty, but it's so scattershot that it doesn't pack much of a wallop, really. It jumps from M$H soundtrack fare, on over to Belle And Sebastian, and then on to...a flamenco murder ballad? Staples' voice still gets me though, he hasn't changed a bit.

yeah, I agree
even though all of it's very good
the total experience is still short of great

Because they released a collection of scores a few months back I mistakenly assumed this too was a score. Nope: NEW TINDERSTICKS ALBUM :hyper::hyper::hyper:

tindersticks: the something rain - City Slang Records

tindersticks recent history is a story of gradually rebuilding following a period, around 2003, of breaking it all down. It was a painful time, but it is only now that they feel those hard decisions were the right ones . Their music has grown into a different shape that could never have been found by holding on to the past. Since reforming they have been ever progressive, never looking back. This was felt most accutely on their recent soundtrack work for Claire Denis and the accompanying ambitious cinematic live shows, and culminating in the making of "The Something Rain".

They have gradually grown into a tight five piece band, utilising the riches of a great extended family of musicians.

There are the usual collaborators here - Terry Edwards (saxophone) and Andy Nice (cello, soprano sax) – and on "The Something Rain" they are also joined by: Thomas Bloch (crystal bachet), Gina Foster (vocals) Julian Siegel (bass clarinet, tenor saxophone) and Will Wilde (chromatic harmonica).

Through this period of change, tindersticks enjoyed the support of Beggars Banquet/4AD. In their recent parting with the label, they left behind what had become a comfortable space for making music. In its place within the studio there was, in Staples’ words,"a new creative edginess around, and a determination."

"The Something Rain" was recorded in bursts over approximately a year, from May 2010 to August 2011 and mixed in September-October 2011. It was a time of experimentation, of searching and honing down a shape and sound. Of the twenty or so ideas they set out with, nine songs became the final album.

Release date isn't until February 20th, but it has leaked. We will spend some quality time together on the morrow.

Tour schedule is looking thin for the moment, but I'm sure more dates will be added (none in the US, ever):

March 5:: Paris, France - Trianon
March 6: Bruges, Belgium - Concertgebouw
March 7: Berlin, Germany - Volksbuehne
March 10: Copenhagen, Denmark - Radiohusets Koncertsal
March 11: Amsterdam, Netherlands - Melkweg Rabo Zaal
March 12: Cologne, Germany - Gloria Theatre
March 15: Lausanne, Switzerland - Theatre de l'Octogone
March 16: Zurich, Switzerland - Kaufleuten

The first album is amazing. Raindrops is my favourite, easily one of the saddest and most beautiful songs out there.

The first album is amazing. Raindrops is my favourite, easily one of the saddest and most beautiful songs out there.

The first three albums are all amazing. Can't wait to see them again. Their last concert I saw (in 2010) was a highlight of that year. So yes, I will be there in Amsterdam on March 11th.
:)

Back
Top Bottom