This Song Sucks by Luke Giordano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll do that, but by choosing to listen to positive music instead of negative I am hardly on a high horse. I mean seriously, we are only discussing music not life style choices, politics or the ethics of child rearing :sexywink:

Except, you're judging people based on the music they listen to. So yeah, I'd say you're on a high horse.

Night on Bald Mountain, the Carmina Burana, Mozart's Requiem... I don't know. If classical music as a genre is all about the betterment of society, then I'll be a suck egg mule.

Pretty dangerous to make sweeping generalizations about any genre, including classical.

I was not aware all jazz and soul music was happy and positive! How silly of me

Let me show you an example:

Here is the iconic album "What's Going On" featuring Marvin Gaye making a statement about racial segregation and mistreatment. The message is positive because it is constructively asking a question and seeking conversation vs conflict. The music itself is beautiful and inspiring with a wonderful vocal by a truly talented man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biw4kWxqt0o

Now compare this to NWA - Straight Outta Compton which features the same message of racial segregation and mistreatment but it is presented in a very violent and aggressive tone promoting violence instead of seeking a real solution to the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBno3jf7-E

Same ideas being presented but the delivery is vastly different. Therefore my statement of positive and enlightening music still stands.

Let me show you an example:

Here is the iconic album "What's Going On" featuring Marvin Gaye making a statement about racial segregation and mistreatment. The message is positive because it is constructively asking a question and seeking conversation vs conflict. The music itself is beautiful and inspiring with a wonderful vocal by a truly talented man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biw4kWxqt0o

Now compare this to NWA - Straight Outta Compton which features the same message of racial segregation and mistreatment but it is presented in a very violent and aggressive tone promoting violence instead of seeking a real solution to the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBno3jf7-E

Same ideas being presented but the delivery is vastly different. Therefore my statement of positive and enlightening music still stands.

How familiar are you with life in Compton, Long Beach, South Central? I grew up sheltered in rural California. This album exposed me to an experience that was far outside of my reality. I still can't imagine growing up in an area where I may have been shot on my way to school. I DON'T know what it's like to have people mistrust me because of the color of my skin. This kind of music is SUPPPOSED to provoke. Everything isn't puppies and rainbows.

Night on Bald Mountain, the Carmina Burana, Mozart's Requiem... I don't know. If classical music as a genre is all about the betterment of society, then I'll be a suck egg mule.

Pretty dangerous to make sweeping generalizations about any genre, including classical.

It's the tone of the music that is a betterment to society vs overtly angry music. If you're a pregnant mother you would never play Tupac through a pair of headphones for your baby but everyone knows that classical can have benefits to unborn children as well as educational purposes. This is the point I was making. BTW those are excellent classical pieces you mentioned :heart:

How familiar are you with life in Compton, Long Beach, South Central? I grew up sheltered in rural California. This album exposed me to an experience that was far outside of my reality. I still can't imagine growing up in an area where I may have been shot on my way to school. I DON'T know what it's like to have people mistrust me because of the color of my skin. This kind of music is SUPPPOSED to provoke. Everything isn't puppies and rainbows

Here is an idea about Compton and NWA as an example of my point.

Since life in Compton is not the best do you really need to have your entertainment reminding you how bad things are. All NWA are managing to do is make you feel even more pissed off about things which can easily lead to violent behavior if a person is already predisposed to this kind of thing.

How is that going to help the problems that Compton is going through?

I've been in gangs since I was 7 years old. I just thought I'd throw that fact out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the tone of the music that is a betterment to society vs overtly angry music. If you're a pregnant mother you would never play Tupac through a pair of headphones for your baby but everyone knows that classical can have benefits to unborn children as well as educational purposes. This is the point I was making. BTW those are excellent classical pieces you mentioned :heart:

I'm quite sure you don't have the first clue about the pieces I mentioned. Night on Bald Mountain is one disturbed piece of music. It was inspired by a witches' Sabbath (with all due respect to witches). The Carmina Burana is filled with references to how the goddess Fortune abuses the human race, ending with the line (in Latin) "Weep, all of you, with me." The In Taberna section alone, which suggests we all go drink ourselves into oblivion to forget the human condition, easily mirrors the suggestions of many a hip hop song. And Mozart's Requiem tells us of the horrors of judgment day for sinners everywhere. No way am I playing any of those for an unborn child. But Dear Mama by Tupac? That's more a newborn's speed.

You may want to get a clearer understanding of what you're listening to before these songs drag you down into the dregs of society with the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm quite sure you don't have the first clue about the pieces I mentioned. Night on Bald Mountain is one disturbed piece of music. It was inspired by a witches' Sabbath (with all due respect to witches). The Carmina Burana is filled with references to how the goddess Fortune abuses the human race, ending with the line (in Latin) "Weep, all of you, with me." The In Taberna section alone, which suggests we all go drink ourselves into oblivion to forget the human condition, easily mirrors the suggestions of many a hip hop song. And Mozart's Requiem tells us of the horrors of judgment day for sinners everywhere. No way am I playing any of those for an unborn child. But Dear Mama by Tupac? That's more a newborn's speed.

You may want to get a clearer understanding of what you're listening to before these songs drag you down into the dregs of society with the rest of us.

Telling someone they don't have a clue about some pieces of classical music is actually quite condescending. Anyone with an internet connection and a library card can learn anything about anything so this type of statement doesn't hold water anymore.

I should have known the "Dear Mama" song would be referenced sooner or later. I'm glad to see this guy had some love for his mother but that doesn't justify the fact he was a criminal and rapped many violent and misogynistic lyrics - see "Hit Em' Up" for example.

How familiar are you with life in Compton, Long Beach, South Central? I grew up sheltered in rural California. This album exposed me to an experience that was far outside of my reality. I still can't imagine growing up in an area where I may have been shot on my way to school. I DON'T know what it's like to have people mistrust me because of the color of my skin. This kind of music is SUPPPOSED to provoke. Everything isn't puppies and rainbows

Here is an idea about Compton and NWA as an example of my point.

Since life in Compton is not the best do you really need to have your entertainment reminding you how bad things are. All NWA are managing to do is make you feel even more pissed off about things which can easily lead to violent behavior if a person is already predisposed to this kind of thing.

How is that going to help the problems that Compton is going through?

The troll is strong with this one.

It's like Louis C.K. arguing with his three year old about Pig Newtons. You know you shouldn't, but you just can't help yourself in the face of such brash ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom