This decade's greats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. V

Refugee
The other thread gave me an idea - what are the records that people are going to look back on and call defining?

I'm not asking for your favourites - well, I am, but your favourites balanced with sales, impact, cultural acceptance and critical evaluation. I don't want your favourite obscure indie albums from this decade, I want the world's favourite albums.

So go on, what are the songs and albums that in 20 years time, will form the image of the '00s music scene?

The two big things about the 2000s will be the hip-hop and the indie scene, if you ask me. So, look for albums/songs from those genres that seem to be defining. Arcade Fire seems like something that will be looked back upon as a defining Indie album: it's successful but still considered part of the genre.

For hip-hop, I'm a little bit less knowledged.

Of course Radiohead will be looked back on as doing big things in the 2000s. Starting it off with the huge mind-fuck of Kid A/Amnesiac and then the universally loved and praised In Rainbows coupled with its practically revolutionary form of release.

...the universally loved and praised In Rainbows coupled with its practically revolutionary form of release.
Yeah, i think things like this is what i'm getting at. Not only was it a great album, the way it was released made headlines, and everyone knew about it. It will be remembered.

Other great albums:
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am... America doesn't get it, but it is, was, and forever will be massive in the UK. A cultural statement.
Coldplay - Parachutes/Rush of Blood/Viva La Vida... all huge, with hits.
Common - Be
U2 - ATYCLB/HTDAAB... they'll be remembered because people still used to beat off over U2 back then. NLOTH won't. If NLOTH was released in 04 instead of Bomb, it'd be a legendary album.
The Strokes - This Is It
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights

there's a lot more, but there's a starting list.

In the realm of indie:

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
The Strokes - Is This It?
Daft Punk - Discovery
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

In the mainstream:

Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Kanye West - The College Dropout
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Outkast - Stankonia
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

In the realm of indie:

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
The Strokes - Is This It?
Daft Punk - Discovery
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights

In the mainstream:

Jay-Z - The Blueprint
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind
Outkast - Stankonia
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head

If there's any Jay-Z album other than Reasonable Doubt that's remembered 20 years from now by the general public, it will be The Black Album, not The Blueprint.

Also, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below for sure, and probably Get Rich or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent (although it isn't very good from a hip hop standpoint, it was one of the biggest selling rap albums of the decade).

ETA: As much as I adore that album (the first hip hop I ever heard that made me go "holy shit!"), Be won't be remembered by the public at large in five years, let alone decades from now.

I'd actually argue for Like Water for Chocolate to represent Common. I think it's a more solid effort, though Be is a great album in its own right.

Some more off the top of my head:
Outkast - Stankonia
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising (because of its post-9/11 significance in the U.S.)
The Roots - Phrenology
Beck - Sea Change
Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below
50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying (undeniably huge in the U.S.)
Kanye West - The College Dropout/Late Registration/Graduation (an epic, if not slightly uneven trilogy, and he's one of the most important hip-hop artists/producers of our time)
TV on the Radio - Desperate Youths, Bloodthirsty Babes
The Killers - Hot Fuss

I was thinking of putting a Roots album in there, but I doubt they'll be remembered outside of hip hop circles once they're done. :(

Phrenology :drool:

If there's any Jay-Z album other than Reasonable Doubt that's remembered 20 years from now by the general public, it will be The Black Album, not The Blueprint.

Probably true. Of course, the Black Album doesn't have the Nas feud to bolster it, and Blueprint received a stronger critical reception (along with very high sales), which people will take note of 20 years from now and use it accordingly as an introduction to his work.

Probably true. Of course, the Black Album doesn't have the Nas feud to bolster it, and Blueprint received a stronger critical reception (along with very high sales), which people will take note of 20 years from now and use it accordingly as an introduction to his work.

Also a good point.

That being said, I don't think anyone making a retrospective of hip hop in 10 or 20 years will go beyond Reasonable Doubt when talking about Jay-Z.

ETA: I can't believe we all forgot American Idiot :doh:

Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights

Probably my favourite album of the decade with Rush Of Blood, but unfortunately I don't think the album has aged all that well amongst a lot of people. I don't seem to read or hear a lot of people harking back at the brilliance of the album. Interpol are kind of becoming forgotten. A shame really. I stil adore them.

That OutKast album will probable be one of the most memorable in 20 years. I still hear heaps of folk goin' on about it.

I was thinking of putting a Roots album in there, but I doubt they'll be remembered outside of hip hop circles once they're done. :(

Phrenology :drool:

:( That's a truly sad thought. I hope critics still keep some of their work in their minds 20 years from now, at the very least.

ETA: I can't believe we all forgot American Idiot :doh:

I can't believe I forgot Hot Fuss and Sea Change. :slant: Pretty solid suggestions all around, I'd say. My list was rushed, so another album or two will probably come to mind.

Can't wait for this thread to be used by zealous hipsters foaming at the mouth to crown their new favorite recently-leaked album as an all-time classic for the ages. Or, rather, I can't wait to use this thread for that purpose whenever the new Built To Spill album leaks. :wink:

Absolution and Black Holes And Revelations surely have to be some of the more memorable rock records of the decade.

My list was rushed, but I don't know how I forgot these:
Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Outkast - Stankonia

Outkast - Speakerboxx/The Love Below
50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying (undeniably huge in the U.S.)
Kanye West - The College Dropout/Late Registration/Graduation (an epic, if not slightly uneven trilogy, and he's one of the most important hip-hop artists/producers of our time)
The Killers - Hot Fuss
All great choices, and modern-day classics.

:up: to the Black Album, and Like Water for Chocolate - the latter is probably a better choice for Common, yeah.

Looking at these albums - yeah I've grown up with these and thrashed them, but do they compare with works of the 80s and 90s? I think they do.

The Strokes - This Is It
:doh: Idiot.

Not sure if I agree with that. Blueprint at least has the anchor of a big single in H.O.V.A., and I think Hard Knock Life would be remembered before The Black Album as well.

i think this decade, in my eyes will be known for:

- even worse crappy pop
- the death of modern rock
- the indie scene

some bands that come to mind that made a lot of noise for me:

Animal Collective
Interpol
Arcade Fire

Also, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below for sure, and probably Get Rich or Die Tryin' by 50 Cent (although it isn't very good from a hip hop standpoint, it was one of the biggest selling rap albums of the decade).

Quoted for the goddam mutha 'uckin truth.

I'd also like to add Nellyville, which I love.

But surely if there's one big act that'll be remembered here it'll be Coldplay?

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black, sold millions of copies and the critics loved it
The Libertines - In the UK they'll be remembered for spawning dozens of shitty indie bands

Besides that I pretty much agree with everything else that's been said

Can't wait for this thread to be used by zealous hipsters foaming at the mouth to crown their new favorite recently-leaked album as an all-time classic for the ages.

animalcollective.jpg

grizzly_toptwenty.jpg

Alligator-NationalX_The_480.jpg
27084_TheNational-Boxer.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom