Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShipOfFools

War Child
So the new 3EB album is coming out in 3 days, and it's already leaked. I've been listening to it a lot lately, and I think it's a great rock album, their strongest since Blue.

Any other interferencers heard the new album, and if so, what do you think of it?

And please don't slam the band. I'm a huge fan, and really love their music.

meh. they were one of my guilty pleasures 10 years ago. just grown out of them, i guess. hope you like the album though.

Yeah, I was a fan of theirs in high school (10 years ago.) I stopped listening to them for a while, and then when they released their Red Star EP, I bought all the albums again. :lol:

their strongest since Blue.

you mean there have been albums since then?

i thought blue was rather weak, but i've got a soft spot for the one before it.

I was a huge fan back in the day. Their debut remains one of my favourite albums of all time, and Blue wasn't bad, either. It's really too bad they got bogged down in that dispute with their record company.

I haven't heard the new one yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

you mean there have been albums since then?

i thought blue was rather weak, but i've got a soft spot for the one before it.

Discography:

1. Third Eye Blind (1997)
2. Blue (1999)
3. Out Of The Vein (2003)
4. Ursa Major (2009)

I think Blue is their masterpiece, but the s/t debut was definitely their second best. Ursa Major comes in at my third favorite out of the four studio albums.

Third Eye Blind isn't the same band they were back in the day. The debut and Blue are solid, enjoyable records, but after Blue, original guitarist Kevin Cadogan was let go and replaced for Out Of The Vein, and more recently I think bassist Aaron Salazar has been in and out of the band for personal reasons(I'm not sure what they are), by his own will(he wasn't fired). From I read, Third Eye Blind is basically Stephen Jenkins and co. anymore. Out Of The Vein was ok, there are a handful of songs on it that are a little enjoyable, but it doesn't have the vibe of the first two records for me, and I think it's because Cadogan was let go.

I haven't heard Ursa Major yet.

I think this new album is great. I didn't like it the first few listens, but I really think it's awesome now. Nothing beats their first album (very few albums do), but I like all their music nonetheless. This is definitely a better album than their last one. There's not one song I don't like.

Water Landing is my favorite song on here. It's GREAT.

One of my friends played guitar with them on a tour. I think it was around the time their 3rd album came out? He and another friend of mine had a side project with one of the members called Tight E. Whitey for awhile, too.

I just listened to it, and I really didn't get TOO much out of it, but it's not a bad album by any means.

It's a pretty good record. A lot better than what I was hoping for, to be fair. While I loved a select few songs from Out of the Vein (namely "Blinded" and a few others), overall it was kind of a stale sounding record on the whole. It seemed like they were just going through the motions for a lot of that one. This one I would say is a definite step up, both in the music and the quality of the hooks. The lyrics aren't quite up to par with past efforts on the whole. Jenkins still has moments of brilliance, but there are certainly more lyrical clunkers than on any other album.

As someone who's been known to follow the band, what "Summertown" turned into was a travesty. The whole rap intro and outros are completely unnecessary and mar what is otherwise a really strong song. "One in Ten" is really the only other notable lowpoint, but the rest of the album is pretty well done on the whole. Definitely has a fresher sound than their last one. "Don't Believe a Word" keeps its rollicking pace very nicely, though I do wish that it still had its original lyrics, as a lot of the newer lines wind up cheapening the song a little. Really though, the first half of this album is just as good as anyone could reasonably expect at this point. The second half does drag a little since a lot of the songs are based around similar acoustic chord progressions, but "Dao of St. Paul" is one of their best "deep" tracks since Blue. "Water Landing" and "About To Break" really surprised me with their quality, and of course "Bonfire" and "Sharp Knife" are also probably among the group's best songs.

Overall, I'd say better than Out of the Vein and just a notch below Blue. Definitely not in the same league as their self-titled, but then again, few pop rock albums are. :up:

It's a pretty good record. A lot better than what I was hoping for, to be fair. While I loved a select few songs from Out of the Vein (namely "Blinded" and a few others), overall it was kind of a stale sounding record on the whole. It seemed like they were just going through the motions for a lot of that one. This one I would say is a definite step up, both in the music and the quality of the hooks. The lyrics aren't quite up to par with past efforts on the whole. Jenkins still has moments of brilliance, but there are certainly more lyrical clunkers than on any other album.

As someone who's been known to follow the band, what "Summertown" turned into was a travesty. The whole rap intro and outros are completely unnecessary and mar what is otherwise a really strong song. "One in Ten" is really the only other notable lowpoint, but the rest of the album is pretty well done on the whole. Definitely has a fresher sound than their last one. "Don't Believe a Word" keeps its rollicking pace very nicely, though I do wish that it still had its original lyrics, as a lot of the newer lines wind up cheapening the song a little. Really though, the first half of this album is just as good as anyone could reasonably expect at this point. The second half does drag a little since a lot of the songs are based around similar acoustic chord progressions, but "Dao of St. Paul" is one of their best "deep" tracks since Blue. "Water Landing" and "About To Break" really surprised me with their quality, and of course "Bonfire" and "Sharp Knife" are also probably among the group's best songs.

Interesting synopsis, thanks. This thread keeps reminding me that I still need to get this album.

...Definitely not in the same league as their self-titled, but then again, few pop rock albums are. :up:

I agree wholeheartedly. Like I said earlier, I think the debut is a classic. I was blown away by it at the time, nearly wore it out, and still listen to it on a fairly regular basis to this day. I've read so much on here that people think of this band as some bland late 90s corporate rock outfit, and I couldn't disagree more, I think they stood apart from their peers and really had something special.

Back
Top Bottom