Think long and hard, back to your childhood and tell us how you got into music! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Think long and hard, back to your childhood and tell us how you got into music!

What was the very first song you listened to?

Okay... if that is impossible, how about the first few songs... or album or artist, anything you can recall.

This could be (a.) Music that came out at the time you listened to it or (b.) Music that came out way before but you only listened to it then.

Either way, let's share some good memories!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:56 PM
I don't remember first songs I heard, or first songs I liked, but from a very early age, I always wanted to listen to the rock station on my parents' bedroom clock radio, or sitting in my bedroom with a tinny little AM radio listening to a station that played some "lite rock" hits, or going through my parents albums over and over again.

I remember the first rock album I got was K-Tel's "Rock 80," which my youngest aunt bought for me when I was 7. I LOVED it. The first album I bought with my own money was either Men At Work's "Business As Usual" or Huey Lewis and the News' "Sports."

A lot of my allowance money went towards buying 45s ($1.75 including tax at the local Shopko!).

My mom listened to the AM oldies station a lot when I was growing up, so I learned to like the oldies pretty young, and that stayed with me. My parents really didn't have anything rock and roll in their collections - the closest thing to rock was probably my dad's "Jesus Chris Superstar" album!

And I was taking piano lessons since second grade, pretty much as soon as they realized I was musically inclined.

So yeah. It's been a musical life.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 02:56 AM
We used to have this old school stereo - it doubled as a peice of furniture - and it had this green glowing light when it was powered up. I used to stare into that light while listening to Sgt. Peppers - it was my dad's - and South Pacific - my moms. I used to think I could see all the events in Mr. Kite's happening while I listened -it was like watching through a Viewfinder. That's my earliest memory of music. I also remember liking Just the Two of Us (Castles in the Sky) an awful lot, but that may have been later. Firs album I ever bought was either Thriller or Kilroy was Here. I'm hoping it was Thriller...
Old 10-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

My mom had the South Pacific soundtrack, too!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
The Male

I probably listened to some BS music intended for little kids in my very earliest years. However, I was exposed to a lot of jazz at the time, as well as Motown, British Invasion, and other miscellaneous oldies. My parents were in their late 30's/early 40's when I was born, so they still love that kind of music.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
My mom had the South Pacific soundtrack, too!
For mother's day we got her tickets to the broadway version. She loved it.

Zoots - not sure if this counts, but I also had a record that came in National Geographic. It was this real flimsy material - it literally came in the magazine and you could bend it and shit. Then you'd throw it on the record players and listen to whale song. True story. Whale song fucking sucks, but if that's what I had to sit through to get to play with a bendable record in 1978, then I'll listen to it. We didn't have much money back then. I'm pretty sure to this day I can pick out a humpback whale's song from a beluga's.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
And I was taking piano lessons since second grade, pretty much as soon as they realized I was musically inclined.

So yeah. It's been a musical life.
Nice! Do you still play the piano? Did you ever think of becoming a professional musician?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
I used to think I could see all the events in Mr. Kite's happening while I listened
Haha that is awesome!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Nice! Do you still play the piano? Did you ever think of becoming a professional musician?
I took lessons all the way through college - I was actually a music major, although since I didn't want to have an emphasis in performance or education, I was just this kind of nebulous music major without an emphasis. I did give a recital my senior year, though, and that's one of my proudest accomplishments.

I thought I wanted to go into the music industry, but realized I didn't pretty quickly. After college, I taught piano for a while, and continued to sing in choirs, but after moving to Seattle, I didn't play for a long time.

I only recently got a digital keyboard ( ) and am looking forward to getting my chops back. I can still play fine, thanks to good sight-reading skills, and if I have the music, I can stumble through some of the pieces I used to play, but I'd just fallen out of practice.

In the meantime, singing became my primary thing. If I wasn't doing one or the other, I'd go crazy. But I'm thrilled to have a keyboard again.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Refugee

Well, I don't really remember this but apparently, my mom used to repeatedly play Achtung Baby in the car when it came out. I was three years old at the time so I would always be in the car with her.

Looks like I know where my love of U2 came from. Subliminal messaging anyone?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:56 AM
My parents went to Bruce Springsteen and Mahavishnu Orchestra concerts when I was still in the womb! So I've basically been listening to music since conception!

Seriously, my entire childhood growing up was non-stop music from the stereo. For me, rock music has just always been there. But of course, b/c of my Dad, Led Zeppelin, 70s Genesis, Neil Young and Pink Floyd are ones that really stick out in my mind. I almost feel like those bands are part of my genetic makeup.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

I think the earliest I can remember is... sometime in the early to mid 80s when my cousin filled up a BASF audio cassette with Harry Belafonte and ABBA.. haha! Somehow that cassette (it was bright orange and pretty to look at! ) ended up with us.. with my parents, I don't know how. Either that or I'm getting things confused and it was my parents who recorded that stuff from my cousin. Anyway, there were some oooooooold ABBA songs on there... stuff from their very first album in 1973... Another Town Another Train, Me and Bobby and Bobby's Brother.. haha those songs were so bad! but in a cute and innocent way. And the other side was filled with Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall. When The Saints Go Marching In and Hava Nagila are 2 songs from that performance that immediately come to mind. Probably before this tape, what I heard was from the radio, whatever my parents played. And this was in India in the early 80s with very limited exposure to "western music" so I have no idea what else we listened to except for Indian music of course.

As for music that came out at the time, I clearly remember sometime in 1986 when my dad bought a cassette titled Grammy '86 with all the nominated songs on it. I loved that tape so much! I think I even remember the tracklisting. It started out with Phil Collins' Sussudio and then went on to Aretha Franklin Freeway Of Love, Aha Take On Me, Tina Turner One Of The Living, USA for Africa We are the World, Stevie Wonder's Part Time Lover, Sade's Sweetest Taboo, Whitney's Saving All My Love For You, Don Henley's Boys Of Summer, Jan Hammer's Miami Vice Theme, Commodores' Night Shift and a few other songs I don't remember right now. I think until around 1991, the Grammys were sadly my only exposure to most music! But it was good times! Great memories of those 80's adult contemporary songs that my parents loved... Bruce Hornsby.... haha!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post

As for music that came out at the time, I clearly remember sometime in 1986 when my dad bought a cassette titled Grammy '86 with all the nominated songs on it. I loved that tape so much! I think I even remember the tracklisting. It started out with Phil Collins' Sussudio and then went on to Aretha Franklin Freeway Of Love, Aha Take On Me, Tina Turner One Of The Living, USA for Africa We are the World, Stevie Wonder's Part Time Lover, Sade's Sweetest Taboo, Whitney's Saving All My Love For You, Don Henley's Boys Of Summer, Jan Hammer's Miami Vice Theme, Commodores' Night Shift and a few other songs I don't remember right now. I think until around 1991, the Grammys were sadly my only exposure to most music! But it was good times! Great memories of those 80's adult contemporary songs that my parents loved... Bruce Hornsby.... haha!
lol, that explains so much. That's awesome.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:39 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:56 AM
Quote:
lol, that explains so much. That's awesome.

I was thinking the same thing!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
lol, that explains so much.
Care to explain?