Think long and hard, back to your childhood and tell us how you got into music! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #46
The Male

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I also remember getting a "talking to" from my mom over my 45 of "Like a Virgin." She said, "I don't think I like you listening to songs like that," she said.

I just rolled my eyes and said "I don't like it for the lyrics, mom."

Surprisingly, she took my word for it and never questioned the music I listened to again.
The idea that someone would genuinely listen to Madonna for her lyrics is probably the funniest thing I've heard all day.

But hey, maybe your mom had a point. Think of all the bank accounts that Material Girl must have ruined.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #47
Neon Zebra

Quote:
I also remember getting a "talking to" from my mom over my 45 of "Like a Virgin." She said, "I don't think I like you listening to songs like that," she said.
One time, for my birthday, a girl gave me a 45 of the Rolling Stones cover of "Going to a Go-Go" and my mom, instead of just being cool and taking it away, actually made me walk to the girl's house, give it back to her and tell her I don't listen to songs like that.

Yeah.

I'm pretty much the best parent in the world compared to my parents.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Thank goodness my parents let me have my Michael Jackson / Prince / Duran Duran obsessions and let me listen to rock and roll.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #49
The Male

My parents stopped caring about what music I listened to when I turned 13. I was buying and downloading so many new albums per week by then that they just couldn't be bothered anymore. Now, believe it or not, my mother likes a lot of the same artists I do. My father hates pretty much anything made after 1985.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #50
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Thank goodness my parents let me have my Michael Jackson / Prince / Duran Duran obsessions and let me listen to rock and roll.
I really should clarify that my parents are totally different today.

I took my mom to see Fiona on her last tour. She loved it. She listens to lots of different music now - although it would be REALLY nice to hear something other than the Mamma Mia soundtrack when we're in her car these days.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

When I go home these days, I'm subjected to a lot of Josh Groban.

*sigh* Oh, mom.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #52
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 11:30 AM
We always had the radio on when I was a kid. My friends thought it was weird that my Mum would sing to all of the songs. On long car drives my Dad owned the radio. I have him to thank for my irresistable pull towards soft rock like Air Supply and novelty songs
Even now my Mum sings around the house and Dad downloads songs or buys them from "the ebay"

My extended family all play an instrument or sing rauciously and often out of tune. Musics in my blood man
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #53
The Fly

Local Time: 08:30 PM
When I was 8 my mother said "you're old enough now" this was 1977 and she pulled out her albums- one of which was the Beatles debut album (don't know what it was called but it had all 4 of them in black in white) and then told me who each member was and then quizzed me on it. She then pulled out an album by the silkie and it had "you've got to hide your love away" by then unknown Lennon and Mccartney.

I really credit my mother with introducing me to music (she and my dad got together b/c of Bob Dylan- my mother had seen him with 80 people in the audience and was so taken aback- she played his album on their first date and he said "good god he is awful, he'll never make it") - nevertheless, he went out and bought a 12 string guitar the next day to impress her.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
When I go home these days, I'm subjected to a lot of Josh Groban.

*sigh* Oh, mom.
My mom lost her favorite Josh Groban CD so I just bought her another one.

*sigh*

My parents didn't introduce me and my sisters to any of the music we listened to as kids but they loved music so they let us love whatever we wanted. For really strict conservative parents, I always thought that was cool.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:30 PM
Wolfman Jack.
May he rest in peace.
He played everything.
Through him I discoverd rock.
The rest is history.
Long time ago, but what the hell. I'm from a long time ago
Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #56
45:33

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Great thread

For me, music first came into my life with The Wiggles. Then, one day in about grade four, I went to a mate's sleepover. We woke up in the morning and put Rage on. The top songs at the time were Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus and Who Let the Dogs Out by the Baha Men. Teenage Dirtbag became my favourite song for a long time, and I still love it, though because of the film clip (it was associated with the movie Loser) I thought Jason Biggs was the lead singer. The next song I fell in love with was I Try by Macy Gray, mostly because of the chorus. I used to watch Rage every Saturday morning from #50 to #1. Great times, and a shame I can't do that anymore. (I always hated watching Video Hits, because they only showed two songs, then had an ad break, intespersed with requests, flashbacks, etc, wouldn't show any songs that had many bad words or a unsuitable video.)I also grew up with two tapes that were constantly played in Dad's car: Bob Seger The Collection and Bryan Adams' Wakin' Up The Neighbours.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:52 AM   #57
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
For me, music first came into my life with The Wiggles.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:02 AM   #58
Cin
Blue Crack Addict

Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Great thread

For me, music first came into my life with The Wiggles. Then, one day in about grade four, I went to a mate's sleepover. We woke up in the morning and put Rage on. The top songs at the time were Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus and Who Let the Dogs Out by the Baha Men. Teenage Dirtbag became my favourite song for a long time, and I still love it, though because of the film clip (it was associated with the movie Loser) I thought Jason Biggs was the lead singer. The next song I fell in love with was I Try by Macy Gray, mostly because of the chorus. I used to watch Rage every Saturday morning from #50 to #1. Great times, and a shame I can't do that anymore. (I always hated watching Video Hits, because they only showed two songs, then had an ad break, intespersed with requests, flashbacks, etc, wouldn't show any songs that had many bad words or a unsuitable video.)I also grew up with two tapes that were constantly played in Dad's car: Bob Seger The Collection and Bryan Adams' Wakin' Up The Neighbours.
Good God I feel old.
I used to get up at 5.30 on the weekends to watch Rage. If there was a really good special on I'd go to sleep early, set the clock for midnight and tape the songs I liked.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #59
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:30 PM
You people who started on the Wiggles make me feel really REALLY old. I think I saw them underage as the Cockroaches back when they played the boozers around town and had an entirely different playlist

Zoots, that song is Jamaica Farewell. Lovely song.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:30 AM
My Dad is really into his music. In the baby book my parents kept for me he mentions a lot of music I supposedly enjoyed. The first album he played to me was Phil Coulter's "Sea of Tranquility" when I was a week old.

He loves Elvis so we heard him a lot. I do remember him playing Johnny Cash quite a bit too. The first songs I remember asking to listen to - I was about three of four at the time - are "Super Trouper" by Abba, "Locomotion" by Kylie and "Long haired lover from Liverpool" by Jimmy Osmond. My favourite song was "Downtown" by Petula Clark but I was also fond of "Ernie the fastest milkman in the west" by Benny Hill. My musical preferences around this time reflect the vinyl my parents had in the house.

The first record someone bought for me was "The shoop shoop song" by Cher. The first tape I got was Whigfields Saturday night single. I think the first cd I owned was Tubthumping by Chumbawumba. I got Macy Grey's "I try" and "I love you, always forever" by Donna Lewis with my first cd player.