Think long and hard, back to your childhood and tell us how you got into music! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:32 PM
probably the first songs i can remember hearing are talking in your sleep by the romantics and radio ga ga by queen. my dad sang them to me when i was a baby

by first specific musical memory would be this mix tape my dad made in the early to mid 80s. it's still somewhere in the house, i saw it a few years ago. it's a pretty awesome tape, to me at least, with lots of great songs from the era. that queen song is on there, along with stuff off thriller, and new moon on monday by duran duran. i've mentioned this before i think, but when i was a kid i thought that song was by david bowie. it wasn't until 96 when i bought seven and the ragged tiger when i found out it was by them. oops!

music i listened to then but not now is kinda hard. anyone who knows me knows i'm stuck in the 80s musicwise so i can't think of anything from that era i don't listen to anymore. all the music i can remember listening to as a kid, steely dan, journey, david bowie, michael jackson, stuff like that.

the first album i ever bought? i don't remember! it could've been anything from debbie gibson's electric youth to inxs's kick. my first cd i remember...it's embarrassing. the first one i got was janet jackson's janet. the first one i bought though was just as bad...music box by mariah carey.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 PM
Ohh. Good Idea.

Ok, so my childhood really isn't that far back considering I'm a teenager.

But I've been surounded with My parents 80's records, my father likes country music, my mother loves rock music.

My Grandparents have a wide spread record collection, dating back to the 1950's. Every Saturday night spent at my grandparents house would be spent learning how to dance the "Real" way, dancing to music from the 50's 60's 70's and 80's.

Every Sunday morning my grandmother would put on the radio programe that only played scotish music.

I danced for about 8 years, doing Ballet, Tap and Jazz, so learning about different styles of music was included in that.

And my first album that I ever bought was Aqua. (Yes the band that sung that Barbie Girl song.)

Old 10-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 AM
The first songs I really remember were on mixtapes my parents made from 45s for family vacations driving from Washington State to my mom's parents' place in Nebraska or my dad's parents' place in Michigan, or to Disneyland.

"Dizzy" by Tommy Roe
"The Rain The Park and Other Things" (..."I love the flower girl...") by The Cowsills
"Windy" and "Cherish" by The Association
"See You In September" by The Happenings
"They're Coming To Take Me Away, Hahaa!" by Napoleon XIV
"I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Twist and Shout," and "She Loves You" by The Beatles
"The Boxer," "The Sound of Silence," and "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon & Garfunkel
various Beach Boys and Jan and Dean songs
"Walk Like A Man," "Sherry Baby," "Candy Girl," and others I can't remember at the moment by The Four Seasons.
"Spooky" by Classics IV
"I Want You Back" by The Jackson Five
"Pinball Wizard" by The Who
"Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison
"Blue Moon" and "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" and "Classical Gas" and "Dueling Banjos" and "Hit The Road Jack" and "Runaround Sue" and the songs about Snoopy and the Red Baron and "Yakity Yak" and that Christmas song by The Chipmunks.
"My Girl" and "Get Ready" by The Temptations
"Stop In The Name Of Love," "Love Child," and "Baby Love" by the Supremes

There are a lot I can't remember. We had 6 90 minute tapes we'd listen to over and over and over.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:21 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
I mainly remember getting into music as a kid because I was in the car a lot, for long vacations and such. Dad has always loved Bowie (actually, maybe he just likes the Changes compilation), and probably the earliest song I can remember listening to is Bowie's Sorrow. I liked a lot of mid-nineties dance and rap as a kid, would listen to my sister's Hit Machine tapes and stuff. In the late nineties I hated a lot of mainstream music. However, my brother was in a band, and their main influences were Husker Du, Pixies and a lot of crap bands, but obviously the Husker Du and to a lesser extent Pixies element has been very important to me. I remember pretty distinctly my brother giving me an earphone to listen to New Day Rising when I was about nine. But I didn't start getting into music individually until I was 12, and it was all that sort of Linkin Park rubbish. Poor move. Although I think the first album I bought was the Gorillaz debut, which is a choice that could have been worse. When I was about 14 I rediscovered a lot of the music my brother listened to when he was younger, and then I just sort of went on from there.

GOOD TIMES.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #20
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
The first songs I really remember were on mixtapes my parents made from 45s for family vacations driving from Washington State to my mom's parents' place in Nebraska or my dad's parents' place in Michigan, or to Disneyland.

"Dizzy" by Tommy Roe
"The Rain The Park and Other Things" (..."I love the flower girl...") by The Cowsills
"Windy" and "Cherish" by The Association
"See You In September" by The Happenings
"They're Coming To Take Me Away, Hahaa!" by Napoleon XIV
"I Want To Hold Your Hand," "Twist and Shout," and "She Loves You" by The Beatles
"The Boxer," "The Sound of Silence," and "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon & Garfunkel
various Beach Boys and Jan and Dean songs
"Walk Like A Man," "Sherry Baby," "Candy Girl," and others I can't remember at the moment by The Four Seasons.
"Spooky" by Classics IV
"I Want You Back" by The Jackson Five
"Pinball Wizard" by The Who
"Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison
"Blue Moon" and "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" and "Classical Gas" and "Dueling Banjos" and "Hit The Road Jack" and "Runaround Sue" and the songs about Snoopy and the Red Baron and "Yakity Yak" and that Christmas song by The Chipmunks.
"My Girl" and "Get Ready" by The Temptations
"Stop In The Name Of Love," "Love Child," and "Baby Love" by the Supremes

There are a lot I can't remember. We had 6 90 minute tapes we'd listen to over and over and over.
Awesome. There are a ton of fantastic songs on that list. The Association is particularly underrated. Never My Love

I remember hearing A Hard Day's Night, Eight Days A Week, and other, earlier, Beatles tracks on a regular basis when I was little. As I said earlier in the thread, there were oldies aplenty.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Awesome. There are a ton of fantastic songs on that list. The Association is particularly underrated. Never My Love

I remember hearing A Hard Day's Night, Eight Days A Week, and other, earlier, Beatles tracks on a regular basis when I was little. As I said earlier in the thread, there were oldies aplenty.
I wish there was an easy way of getting my hands on digital copies of all those singles. I need to have my parents get out their 45s so I can make an inventory of everything I need to find.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 AM   #22
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 04:32 AM
awesome thread

Time for the purpleness to bore you all . . .
Dad always had a massive musical interest . . . everything and anything was always playing . . .anything from the stones to ella fitzgerald, some classical stuff, willie nelson . . . you name it, it was on

my first, and fondest, musical memory is of waking up before the rest of the house and creeping into the lounge room to listen to Rod Stewarts 'A Night On The Town' and Linda Ronstadts 'Back In The USSR' with my ears pressed tight to the speakers so my moment of glory would last for as long as possible. . . think i must have been about 9 or 10 and I wanted to marry Rod and beeeeeeee Linda!!! The Killing Of Georgie is a song that has never left me . . . Atlantic Crossing was the first cassette that was ever given to me and Bryan Ferrys "Avalon" was the first cassette I ever bought for myself!

happy happy days
Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

This topic has prompted me to hunt down oldies classics. I'm listening to The Supremes now.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
This topic has prompted me to hunt down oldies classics. I'm listening to The Supremes now.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:32 PM
My parents were and are huge music fans and I grew up with the music they listened to: English-speaking pop/rock bands from 60s and 70s, Russian folk and traditional ballads, Russian and European pop music, a bit of jazz, a bit of classical, etc. My earliest memories connected with music are making up the words to ABBA's "Dancing Queen" and Beatles songs when I was four or five years old, so that I could sing along,

I didn't start making my own choices in music until I was 14 which was when I fell madly in love with Queen, who strangely enough were never really played in our house before. Their Greatest Hits I & II were the first pieces of music I've ever bought by myself.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #26
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Care to explain?
Meaning you have an appreciation for Top 40 music that most people on this site - and in general - don't. It's not often you find someone that appreciates classic, niche and Top 40 the way you do. Most people write off the Top 40 as being cheap, cheesy and kitschy - which is really unfair, because much of it really is good - but you seem to keep it on an equal plain as the other types of music. Seeing that your "roots" go back to that CD explains that.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 PM
I can't remember specifically what were the first songs I've listened to but It's very likely that It was something from Erasure. My dad was big fan o them at the time of my early childhood and he told me that he used to play their songs to me and I reputedly really liked it and always got very happy when I listened to them.So those were my first contacts with music, 2-3 years old baby "dancing" to Erasure....

Around the age of 5 or 6 was my first encounter with U2 music. I always watched music videos on TV and I remember clearly watching Numb and Lemon videos unable to understand what the hell were doing those people. I didn't like it and was afraid of that man with beanie on his head. Ace of Base, Janet Jackson, Coolio, that was my favourite stuff,lol... yeah, another one to say, good times.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
lol, that explains so much. That's awesome.

i don't have a good memory other than i really remember loving listening to Styx and Pat Benatar. My first few albums (aside from Disney) were Michael Jackson's Thriller, Olivia Newton John's Physical and Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 PM
The first music I got into on my own was, unfortunately, the bubblegum teen pop craze that came back with a vengeance around the time I was in 5th and 6th grade. The Spice Girls were my first big musical love, and I still have their greatest hits on my iPod, because I think they were great pop. I loved early Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera (her later 2 albums are great), N*SYNC, (love Justin's solo work), the Backstreet Boys, etc. There's also certain stand-out songs that take me back to those years of my life, getting ready to go into middle school and thinking that it couldn't get much better than that. "Closing Time" by Semisonic, "Graduation (Friends Forever)" by Vitamin C, "Magic's In The Make-up" by No Doubt, "Name" by the Goo Goo Dolls, "She's So High" by Tal Bachman, and "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling for example. Because of my parents I got into Chicago's 70s output along with Elton John, and 80s Madonna and Michael Jackson along with some of the finest pop music the 70s have to offer and a huge chuck of Motown.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:02 AM
My parents had no interest in music at all, had no record player, no records, nuthin. I got into music all by myself, through the radio then buying my own record player and records. In fact, it still puzzles my mother why music is all that interesting....

First song I truly remember hearing on the radio as a young un was "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Middle of the Road - google that suckers!