The Who to perform at Super Bowl XLIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okay, so that was quite obviously horrid, but I saw them last year, and vocally, he was good. Not heyday great, but really good, enough to pleasantly surprise me. I read reports that at the show before mine, he was off. Maybe he's just more hit and miss these days, but good lord, the man's 65 years old, and his style of singing over the years is bound to take a toll on his voice.

Okay, so that was quite obviously horrid, but I saw them last year, and vocally, he was good. Not heyday great, but really good, enough to pleasantly surprise me. I read reports that at the show before mine, he was off. Maybe he's just more hit and miss these days, but good lord, the man's 65 years old, and his style of singing over the years is bound to take a toll on his voice.

well obviously... i'm not expecting roger to be able to wail like he did in his prime anymore, and anyone who is expecting that is just being silly.

sorta like the bono defenders here who try to claim his voice is better than ever... get real. very few people have the sorta voice that can stay the same, or even get better, as they get older.

and as for the questions as to wether or not The Who can fit their songs into the half time show's time slot... well... if bruce springsteen can do it, anyone can do it.

This should be a good show. Any halftime show that has a rock band is a great one.

i've heard it's a generally accepted thing that guys with higher voices, whether we're talking tenor opera singers or rock n roll folks who wail on songs, wear out quicker than any other vocal register, male or female.

flip that setlist in reverse, and it would be better. but i like :up:

well, yeah. actually, maybe it would be good if they do baba first. because then when they cut out that one part (i forget how my brother describes it, it's pretty funny and sounds ridiculous, but you'd know what i was talking about if i could remember what he says), i will know to turn off the tv.

What the hell is "Tommy"? See Me, Feel Me? That's a mood-killer if I've ever seen one. Other than that, decent enough set. ANYTHING from pre-Tommy would, of course, help to keep the mood upbeat. I Can See For Miles would be my choice.

All great choices, but they should play "Behind Blue Eyes" too. I know, I know, it's a ballad and not the kind of song you play at the Superbowl halftime show, but it's my favorite Who song ever.

I predict the best moment will be 'the wail/scream' at the end of WGFA.

I had several issues with the performance

1) The crowd wasn't miked well at all
2) Townshend was into it in a way that looked almost genuine, but Daltry reminded me of an Elvis impersonator
3) Thanks to the lifeless Pinball Wizard intro "Baba O'Riley" somehow managed to be weak
4) If the biggest complaint about this halftime show as that this isn't "really" The Who, why did they spend so much of the camera time on the guy who's not Keith Moon?
5) Again, the lack of an audience. Where was the usual crowd surrounding the stage?

4) If the biggest complaint about this halftime show as that this isn't "really" The Who, why did they spend so much of the camera time on the guy who's not Keith Moon?

Ha!

I thought the stage was kind of cool, but yeah, it was weird not to have the audience right there.

Ha!

I thought the stage was kind of cool, but yeah, it was weird not to have the audience right there.

There would have been no problem (from me at least) if the audience had been there, even if they were kind of far from the stage.

i am glad they went with a larger stage and got rid of the 'fans', it always looks so contrived.

and the audience noise/singing along was so fake

I found them meh...they really should've retired as The Who when Entwhistle passed away. I did like the light show though and liked that the Super Bowl people tried to change the staging of it. Did not miss the crowd around the stage (and it would've seemed very contrived this year), and I don't think having one would've improved the performance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom