The Who to perform at Super Bowl XLIV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really, they should have just played Baba O Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again in full and left.

I agree with this also. The medley thing never really works for me. They looked like they had a blast, though.

In the end we simply have to stop thinking that the Super Bowl Half-Time Show is designed with music fans in mind. The producers could contract the most darling indie band on the planet and said band would still be neutered by the mechanics of the spectacle.

The ridiculously short attention span of the average viewer is probably to blame for the truncated songs we've seen over the past few years. The songs need to be recognizable but also brief - 99% of the viewership would have lost interest had The Who tried to play "Won't Get Fooled Again" in its entirety.

if Bon Jovi plays a Super Bowl, i may slit my wrists.

Better get the bath ready. :wink:

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised to see them next year. Most of the old war horses have played the Super Bowl in the past 10 years or so and Bon Jovi is not among them. They're definitely due.

It had nothing to do with cheese. It had everything to do with neutering every song so they could play a sample of everything. I much prefer full songs; that was my one disappointment with Springsteen's halftime show.

U2 in old age is better than The Who in old age. I said it.

15 more years in the south of France and, who knows, maybe U2 will be too frail to perform anything more than the speech portion of One.

Quick reminder: The Super Bowl Halftime performers are given 12 minutes to perform. Don't expect a concert.
I don't need to be reminded. I'm well aware. U2 did it right. And I don't really like Elevation Tour-era U2. But playing a couple of good songs really well and in full is much better than the sample platter-style we got last night.

It was definitely cocaine and hookers what killed The Ox, but they also effectively killed The Who at the same time. Keith's death was a huge blow but not a death knell, and while Kenney Jones wasn't really the right fit to replace him, Zak actually does a very good job filling Moon's shoes.

No offense to Pino Palladino, but Entwhistle's passing neutered the band. I saw them later in the summer after John passed and noticed immediately the "thunder" was gone, its especially noticable from the opening of Baba O'Riley...
to wit, Entwhistle playing the song:

YouTube - Baba O'Riley

and Palladino playing it (like we had at the Super Bowl)
YouTube - Baba O'Riley (Live 2006)

You need to only check out the first minute of each to feel the difference.

guess i'm kind of glad i slept through the entire superbowl.

i wouldn't say it's because of the cheese factor, but i've always been a little embarrased to watch any band i enjoy during a halftime show with non-fans because that's when i start paying attention to the tv more than i had been all game. i like football. i like music more, even if i am getting a small smattering of possibly abridged greatest hits and a weak-ass new single. the stones, springsteen, u2...trying to remember who else, i know i missed the paul mccartney one. you're all right (note how i did not say you kids are alright, i was trying not to be excessively lame. even if i do love the pun)--there's a lot to be said for remembering it's not geared toward music fans. no one i've ever watched the superbowl with has paid any more attention to the tunes in the halftime show than they would if they heard "baba oriley" or "born to run" on the radio while we were driving in the car. me, i get cranky when what i feel to be an essential, epic instrumental part or an entire verse gets cut out in the interest of appealing to the masses. i think when u2 played it i was still in my phase of doing whatever was necessary (hijacking the communal tv in my dorm or something similar) in order to see it. moving on from that, the spectacle is nice for about 24 seconds, then it's just old hat, because i start nitpicking and griping about how this should have sounded better, that shouldn't have been altered, they should have played such and such instead, the songs would have been better if they'd played x before z and then y last...to a bunch of friends who just view it as a chance to get another beer, go outside for a smoke, or discuss the first half of the game/entertaining commercials shown thusfar.

Maybe it will be Taylor Swift next year. She would have to practice her live singing.

They showed the Super Bowl again last night on NFL Network, don't know if they showed The Who again

Back
Top Bottom