The Who to perform at Super Bowl XLIV - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 PM

Old 02-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #92
Blue Meth Addict

Springsteen's show was so canned and cheesy, it was embarrassing to watch with non-fans.

I don't really care about The Who (they probably played every song I actually like / know), but it was far more entertaining to watch on a television in that setting than anything since U2 for me. Maybe it was because there was no big expectation for me personally, and I didn't really care if it didn't sound great because I never think The Who sounds all that great, but I enjoyed it.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 03:54 PM
It was an okay performance. Halftime shows are so hit or miss that I don't go in with any expectations. These shows have to go younger though.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #94
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Personally, I enjoyed it. I went back and watched it on Youtube and I think they actually sound really good for a couple of 65 year olds. I am a casual fan of The Who, and my girlfriend who is skeptical of all these old acts at the halftime show was singing along in a few spots
Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 AM   #95
45:33

Local Time: 07:54 AM
i was disappointed they didn't cover Behind Blue Eyes by Limp Bizkit.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #96
I hate this place

Local Time: 01:54 PM
i have been hoping for the last few years the foo fighters would get to do halftime.

i'm sure there are a ton of possibilties for next year, but right now the only other classic artists i can think of right now who haven't performed are the eagles and fleetwood mac. the only reason i have them in mind is because i read a story a couple of weeks ago they might do a stadium tour next year. really don't want mac to do it, but the eagles could be a possibility.

if they want to go current, kenny chesney could be a possibility. not a big fan, but i don't think i'd have a big problem with it.

the year after that, since it's in indianapolis, i would not be surprised if they wheeled out john mellencamp.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #97
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRay9911 View Post
i have been hoping for the last few years the foo fighters would get to do halftime.

i'm sure there are a ton of possibilties for next year, but right now the only other classic artists i can think of right now who haven't performed are the eagles and fleetwood mac. the only reason i have them in mind is because i read a story a couple of weeks ago they might do a stadium tour next year. really don't want mac to do it, but the eagles could be a possibility.

if they want to go current, kenny chesney could be a possibility. not a big fan, but i don't think i'd have a big problem with it.

the year after that, since it's in indianapolis, i would not be surprised if they wheeled out john mellencamp.
I have heard The Eagles mentioned a lot. I personally think Bon Jovi would be a good fit for the superbowl. They are a bit younger than all of these bands of late, have a lot of big hit songs, and still sound excellent live. They would put on a great show.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #98
I hate this place

totally forgot about bon jovi, good call

since it's going to be at the jerry dome next year, they will probably want to go BIG. but pyrotechnics might be kept at a minimum because of the scoreboard
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRay9911 View Post
i am glad they went with a larger stage and got rid of the 'fans', it always looks so contrived.
I agree-it is contrived. Did they start that w/ U2 or before that?

I thought it was meh too-but doing the halftime show is always going to be meh to some degree
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #100
I hate this place

went over to wikipedia and aerosmith, 'nsync, britney, r kelly, nelly was the halftime the year before. can't remember if there were people on the field for that one.

List of Super Bowl halftime shows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #101
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

They've been doing fans on the field for years... This is the first time I can think of when they haven't...

The first half time show I really remember is Michael Jackson back in 93 and they had fans on the field.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

What about Pete's wardrobe malfunction, w/ his belly showing?

He should have tucked his shirt into his underwear

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=4896568

"Daltrey initially didn't want to talk about the band's performance -- "I just want to get to my booth to watch the game" -- as he was walking with his entourage. But he returned to face the music in an exclusive interview.

"I thought it went OK. I understand. It's a TV show. Cameras were everywhere," he said. "I was so blinded that I couldn't see.

"And I really wished the crowd would have gotten into singing the songs with us more. That's how it is in Europe for our soccer matches. I wanted more banter."

Townshend disagreed with Daltrey's assessment of the performance.

"We were trying to put on a great show," he said. "We had as much fun as we could have."

Maybe it has something to do with Miami?

Maybe it has something to do with Daltrey hitting 65?

Or maybe it's just that their voices aren't as strong as they once were.

"Miami is so different these days. It's not just a retirement community," Daltrey said nostalgically. "Now Miami is fun and hip, and I'm too old to enjoy it."

Maybe the opposite can be said of a crowd at the Super Bowl: Maybe fans are too young to enjoy classic rock."
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #103
Refugee

Daltrey was done years ago. This was awful. When the halftime band is probably sorer than football players it's time to hanbg them up for good.

And that muppet-like drummer....

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I thought The Who were just fine. The object of the Super Bowl Halftime Show is to entertain and they did that quite well. Maybe people should cut them a little slack.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

I was really bored by the performance, too bad since I like The Who, oh well.

Best part of the Half Time show; the stage.