The WHO thread. Get on it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just turned a mate onto Who's Next.

He said, and I quote, that it was so good "I creamed".

It's such a kick ass record.

Sadly, Limp Bizkit's downright atrocious version of BBE will always linger in the background...

2008 VH1 Rock Honors Award Show is on tonight at 9:00PM PST.
Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Flaming Lips, Incubus and Tenacious D will all celebrate The Who with performances. The Who will play as well!

May have to TiVo this!!!

2008 VH1 Rock Honors Award Show is on tonight at 9:00PM PST.
Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Flaming Lips, Incubus and Tenacious D will all celebrate The Who with performances. The Who will play as well!

May have to TiVo this!!!
:hmm: I thought it was on tomorrow night debut? :eyebrow: :huh:

OKkkkk...
(that's what I thought) it's on VH1 in the NYC area tommorow.- Thurs 7/17.

I'm ::hyper:

aaahhh..... Who Concert memories!!! W00T!!!

The lights darken down........
Bustling crowd in their seats at NYC's Lincoln Center's Opera House 1970..........

"Ladies and Gentlemen.....'The Who'"......

The Who aclerates from 0 to 1,000 MPH in 3 secs with their opening rendition of "Heaven & Hell"!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:

The crowd..... ....screams!!!

The Who.....

what can I say about The Who.........
Quite alot!!!:D

The Who is one of the very few bands that I & my sis (in NYC) did NOT discover ourselfs.
ur NJ SUburban cousin showed us Happy Jack (? A Quicck One -in Britian) in?1966-67 ish.

We were very impressed, proceeded to get Sell Out & My Generation (on Vinyl :giggle)

Basicslly we followed The Who up the Ladder of Fame/Super Fame from then on.

I saw them 3 times in 1968......
...the first show while they still wore the Poip fashion type stuff you saw in the Montery Pop Fesival film.
2nd time they opened for The Doors!!! Morrison got drunk that night and walked stage...chairs WERE thrown...I got out unscathed (I had gotten down from upper seats to about 5 rows from the stage.

3rd time they played at the RENOUNED Central Park's Schaffer Music Festival ? about 500 - 1000+ seats?
I was in the 5th row and able to go up to the front and get a few snapsshots. I still ahve then somewhere. I did see them in the past years while reorganizing stuff.

Schaefer fest??? :eybrow: you say...

well it was a summer thing that turned back into The Wollman Skating Rink durung the cold months. it went onfor about ? 10 plus years before...........

...... they decided the Rink needed big fixing so the SMF moved to the Hudson River waterfront a pier right by wheere the Circle Line Boats took off from.......and where The Intrepid Aircraft Carrier who eventual dock as a Museum . That lasted several years (saw Big Country there).

yeah, and..........
Well a l'il ole Band who had def reverece for The Who as Musicians & Performers (reaD IN A PRE-USA TOUR INTERVIEW)

..........played there in 1983. One of there first bigger gigs past the med size clubs in NYC.......

:shifty:

......could it be.....

...and it was........ U2!!!

In fact... U2's postivite take on The Who was one of the things that taagged them for me as a band to look out for (in the Fall of 1980! :lol:).

of course there was Tommy..
OMG!
I saw them play Tommy at the Filmore East 1969 with the Joushua Light Show!! Incredible!!!
I still have the commentary I wrote about when I got home!

i did prefer that performance to the Opera House one a year later.

Then came (after Live at Leeds which certainly introduced the Power of the Who Live to people who hadn't seen them or hadn't yet been impressed by them)

Who's Next!:ohmy::drool::love:

I could hardly beleive my ears at how manificant, lyrical And Rocking out that record was....even if as it would happen for the most part their Live renditions of it were "on fire!!!"

I saw them 2x's for that Forest Hills Tennis Stadium!

The 2nd show ? 7/31/71 IS one of the greatist LIVE shows ever played!!!
they did a ? 20 jam with My Genration and instruemntal stuff in there was was......incomperarable!!!

Quadrophrania!
A great album.one I've reggotten into the past year or so. I suddenly found myself hummins/singing low while the subway train was moving (making noise :lol:) singing songs from Quad!

I gotta leave here so maybe I'll throw some more stuff out fri. :D

onre last memory.........

My :heart: mom
......asked me during U2's HutDub Tour as i was telling her about the shows a bit..........since she supported our R&R mania > keep 50-$ back in the day when that got you 4 -5 tixs ready for us for mail orders or standing on line duties!

"......U2......ARE they AS good as Bruce & The Who?"

I said Yeah, Mom, they really are!
\

Continue my Who "riffing"

a little more :wink:

My sis & I .......we did "the Who USA Bincnetenial Tour"

even tho it started LATE 75

Philly late 75
>MSG/NY ?march 76
>Up to Boston (Garden)got scalper tix
>Got tix for ?Landover, maryland
when they went on sale in 76 summer

SOme fantaistc shows

one time either 76 or MSG 79
they did
"Let's See Action":drool::drool: as part of a 3 song segueway

while I thought their ? 81 or was it 83 radio broadcast WAS it billed as their farewell tour or reunion :huh: :giggle:

was sort of going through the motions

there wasanother one later in the 80's ?

that was *FANTASTIC*

they did Summer time Blues/ Shaking All Over/
Too Much of Anything
and a ton of other great stuff!

Keep reminding me. I've been to India and Indiana this month so far, and I leave for Wyoming Sunday.

wow quite a traveler!

Safe journey!:wave:

Oh! what part(s) of India? for work or relaxation/ personal education?

Have a friend who went, and a relative who hopes to go next year!

Love the food (North & South, some regional <need to try over time, MORE regional dishes>) , but NOT TOO SPICY stuff! :ohmy: :D
-- some of the architecture, art & music. And the colors of their clothing!

Alright. I've been back at home for a few weeks, so here are my Who vinyl boots, front and back.

STA73609.jpg

STA73610.jpg

^ This one is Jaguar Anyone? And it was my only copy of The Relay for many years.

STA73611.jpg

STA73612.jpg

^ This one is Jai Baba For Pete's Sake.

I haven't listen to these in years.

^They're awesome... :drool:

Glad you bought this back. Enjoying side 1/2? of Quadrophenia, especially The Real Me (energy, bass, horns, everything), Quadrophenia (sick instrumental), The Punk and the Godfather, Helpless Dancer, The Dirty Jobs...

Though Is it in my Head has the worst chorus ever.

Back
Top Bottom