The WHO! 50th (approx lol) Year Anniversary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
Let's get this Par-TEEeeeeee Rolling!

:hyper: :cheer::yippie::dance::dance::dance:
All Who Fans Welcome! :D

New, Longtime, Superfans etc

Shows, waiting on line tales (u know ye olden days), the Songs, The Albums
The New Tour Upcoming, personal Meet-ups and more?
(But lets not overdo the bitching :wink:)

Me - Superfan Verrrry longtime! :rockon:

Well as much as a "girl" at 14 yrs back in 1967 whos parents were a touch protective.

i can't remember if they wouldn't let me go to ?Fox Theater show w Murray the K

but my dad drove me and friends to Westbury LI to see them first time 1968!

it was the last time they wore thir Pip FInery in the NYC area
Roge Red velvet suit and ruffled shirt
Pete Spangled Jacket & ?ruffled shirt
the Ox don't remember :(
Moon ? a bullseye T-shirt

My cuz grabbed a drumstick after the show
2 more gigs that years

will have 2 post another (tricky) day (hopefully tomorrow) for those 2 hihs :)

Didn't like the whole tickets going on sale over a year before the actual tour starts thing. That's stupid.

the time before tix sales in general has gotten longer in between at least for some performers

MY suburban cousin actually turned me on to the Who... The Who Sell Out and or Happy Jack, Usually i was the "hip" city cousin. :lol:

SO my next 2 gigs that yr 68

My parents ( was 14 yrs ) let me go with a friend to see them at Singer Bowl now known more as a tennis stadium

they were 2nd Act of 3... the lead being The Doors! Morrison was drunk and the set was shorter than usual So some people threw chairs for that etc

there was a revolving stage of which got stuck while the Who were on ...
in Opposite to where I was :lol::angry:

dressed all in whte... sounded good.

Last for that year The Shaeffer Music Festival in Central Park (skating rink)

My :heart: mom took me to that! Great show!

But BEING 1968 they certainly took some of he pain of that year away... and into early 1969 with the moon landing in that year coming uop

I lost track of them TILL I heard they were making Tommy.

I got to one of the Filmore East
Tommy shows! omg ! :ohmy: :rockon: :bow:

more on that next time!

Just saw they're returning to NYC in the Fall i might try for that ( $ issues)
I do plan to stand outside of Forest Hills Tennis Stadium *(WHo's Next Tour July 71!!! :drool: )

:D

Let's get this Par-TEEeeeeee Rolling!

:hyper: :cheer::yippie::dance::dance::dance:
All Who Fans Welcome! :D

New, Longtime, Superfans etc

Shows, waiting on line tales (u know ye olden days), the Songs, The Albums
The New Tour Upcoming, personal Meet-ups and more?
(But lets not overdo the bitching :wink:)

Me - Superfan Verrrry longtime! :rockon:

Well as much as a "girl" at 14 yrs back in 1967 whos parents were a touch protective.

i can't remember if they wouldn't let me go to ?Fox Theater show w Murray the K

but my dad drove me and friends to Westbury LI to see them first time 1968!

it was the last time they wore thir Pip FInery in the NYC area
Roge Red velvet suit and ruffled shirt
Pete Spangled Jacket & ?ruffled shirt
the Ox don't remember :(
Moon ? a bullseye T-shirt

My cuz grabbed a drumstick after the show
2 more gigs that years

will have 2 post another (tricky) day (hopefully tomorrow) for those 2 hihs :)

Wow! Congrats. Early 80's for me but :heart: this band. What's everyone favorite albums?

#1 Who's Next

#2 Quadrophenia

#3 The Who Sell Out

#4 Tommy

#5 My Generation

#6 A Quick One

#7 Who Are You

#8 Face Dances

#9 The Who By Numbers

#10 It's Hard

#11 Endless Wire

Cheers!

I've only heard Who Sell Out, Who's Next and Quadrophenia. The latter is in my top five all-time, Who's Next is extremely good and Who Sell Out has some great, great tracks but I find it very hit and miss overall.

I've only heard Who Sell Out, Who's Next and Quadrophenia. The latter is in my top five all-time, Who's Next is extremely good and Who Sell Out has some great, great tracks but I find it very hit and miss overall.

Agreed. All though mostly very solid "The Who Sell Out" does contain some oddities that deduct points but I seem to connect to this album for some strange reason. Perhaps "Tommy" in third spot should have been the more obvious choice as it is generally considered one of the groups best.

not enuff time for the Filmore Tommy gig so

will list my
4 fav albums from them

Who's Next

Quadrophrenia

Tommy

Who are You

?? maybe WHo by Numbers (at #5) Have think through the rest
because 1 - 4 ARE so strong for me.

QUad wins over Tommy by i guess a few squeaks I love the various styles of sings on section of Quad related to jobs,not being well off, getting a head etc

The Dirty Jobs, Is it in My Head, Helpless Dancer, etc snd whats being said...

understood mre and more of that as I got into my 30's vs when Quad first came out

really such a FIERCE and sometimes so tender and plaintive album

Tommy almost gets to #3 bc of the incredible music but also the incredible Tommy performance from The Filmore EWast in 1969
the 2 kind of meld together for me

But quad has even a greater variety of incredible music on it so i guess it squeaks by to #3

Tommy is the quintessential album where the concept comes at the expense of the music. Quadrophenia is an improvement in every way and a tremendous all-around record.

Aside from Quadrophenia, The Who are more of a singles band, I think. Those early ones in compilation make for a stellar pop record.

I liked Tommy a lot when I was a kid. I still like some things on it, but when compared with Quadrophenia it's not even close. In terms of cohesive double album rock opera type things, Tommy is like The Wall to me: overrated, loaded with filler, and hardly something I feel the need to listen to. Quadrophenia, however, that one is my 2nd favorite album by any band ever. Love that one in its entirety, obviously that makes it my favorite album of theirs.

Whenever a discussion on ...by numbers has gone down in an RMT thread, I've always taken the side of it being a really good album. Now, I don't know how to stack that against the early stuff at all. As an album, I'll take The Who By Numbers over The Who Sell Out in a heart beat. But those early singles? It really doesn't get much better than a lot of those songs. Not now, not ever. I Can't Explain (one of my favorite songs ever btw), The Kids Are Alright, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, I'm a Boy, etc. Classics for a reason. And it goes without saying that those last two Keith Moon-less albums don't get to be included in the conversation when talking about the rest of their catalog (same goes with Endless Wire. I keep forgetting it even exists). I do find It's Hard to be absolutely listenable, and a decent album. But damn that thing sounds dated in a way that the even older material does not. Who's Next has great songs. But it's like Born in the USA, a collection of good songs and not really an awesome album. I do have a nostalgia-clouded great memory of hearing "Won't get Fooled Again" for the first time, but this is clearly tl;dr already. And it apparently does not matter how many times I listen to "Baba O'Riley," it is virtually impossible for me to tire of that song.

I fucking hate Magic Bus.

I have never been a fan of their earlier 60s sound, I've never been a fan of that light pop style in general, whether it be The Who or The Beatles (Rubber Soul is the earliest Beatles album I've heard in full) or whoever. It just does absolutely nothing for me, which is why I find Who Sell Out to be hit-and-miss.

Who's Next and Quadrophenia are both fucking amazing though. Baba O'Riley is absolutely one of the best songs ever.

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy is a classic compilation that tops most of their discography. I'm proud to own that on vinyl. Early Who was awesome even if the pre-Who's Next stuff is inconsistent outside of Who Sell Out, which I still consider grade A. That album is a gem. Song for song it's not their best, but the overall experience is more charming than anything else in their discography and underlines how their personality as a group separated them from their peers.

Last edited:
I'd also highly recommend the deluxe edition of Who's Next for anyone who doesn't have it. So many great bonus tracks on that, Pure and Easy and Water in particular.

I have never been a fan of their earlier 60s sound, I've never been a fan of that light pop style in general, whether it be The Who or The Beatles (Rubber Soul is the earliest Beatles album I've heard in full) or whoever. It just does absolutely nothing for me, which is why I find Who Sell Out to be hit-and-miss.

Who's Next and Quadrophenia are both fucking amazing though. Baba O'Riley is absolutely one of the best songs ever.

You should give A Hard Day's Night a shot. I felt very similar until I heard the three-part harmonies on If I Fell.

Tommy is the quintessential album where the concept comes at the expense of the music. Quadrophenia is an improvement in every way and a tremendous all-around record.

Aside from Quadrophenia, The Who are more of a singles band, I think. Those early ones in compilation make for a stellar pop record.

can't say I agree w u about Tommy but i think Quad has even more great songs on it, and more variety

Who's Next is the remains of a Concept Album
If you know don't know "The Lifehouse" story ....
a SF-ish film/a series of live performances in the same PLace concept
that Pete cooked up and it fell part drastically a bunch of the songs
on WHo's Next were from that

MY Favorite version of "Lifehouse" was the one outlined in a NY Times article back in 70 I think the title was " From Tommy To Bobby" .
Quite captivated by it

Pete would change parts of it and I have finally remembered (not done it yet) to look up on YT "Psycho Derelict" which was a ? 4 album output by Pete which incorporated alot of Lifehouse.

I liked Tommy a lot when I was a kid. I still like some things on it, but when compared with Quadrophenia it's not even close. In terms of cohesive double album rock opera type things, Tommy is like The Wall to me: overrated, loaded with filler, and hardly something I feel the need to listen to. Quadrophenia, however, that one is my 2nd favorite album by any band ever. Love that one in its entirety, obviously that makes it my favorite album of theirs.

Whenever a discussion on ...by numbers has gone down in an RMT thread, I've always taken the side of it being a really good album. Now, I don't know how to stack that against the early stuff at all. As an album, I'll take The Who By Numbers over The Who Sell Out in a heart beat. But those early singles? It really doesn't get much better than a lot of those songs. Not now, not ever. I Can't Explain (one of my favorite songs ever btw), The Kids Are Alright, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, I'm a Boy, etc. Classics for a reason. And it goes without saying that those last two Keith Moon-less albums don't get to be included in the conversation when talking about the rest of their catalog (same goes with Endless Wire. I keep forgetting it even exists). I do find It's Hard to be absolutely listenable, and a decent album. But damn that thing sounds dated in a way that the even older material does not. Who's Next has great songs. But it's like Born in the USA, a collection of good songs and not really an awesome album. I do have a nostalgia-clouded great memory of hearing "Won't get Fooled Again" for the first time, but this is clearly tl;dr already. And it apparently does not matter how many times I listen to "Baba O'Riley," it is virtually impossible for me to tire of that song.

I fucking hate Magic Bus.

:lol: :lol:
Oh i like MB... don't love it... but it was fun live!

I had to :sad::sad: leave 250 Vinyl records behind from a move back in 2000 - among them my WHo Albums
I had WN on Tape, if i had quad on tape it might gotten lost in a 2nd move
One of those days i'll get it on CD

and SOMEWHERE my copy of the extended WN CD is hiding

Some of the Beatles and The Who's "light pop" is wonderful
but I love much after that.

And ... I'd call it Pop, period. Some of the greatest songs are in Pop. But notice I said "some" many more in various Rock category.
I think I prefer the Beatles Pop to The Who's in general.

I came sing some of those Beatles song's from the first album up through
AHDN...like a Jukebox :lol: hit the first few notes off i go even after 5 decades. But i can do a lot o that for my other fave 4 bands as well.

Although what would you consider to be the different at least in some
pop & rock songs. Seems some over lap.

I'd also highly recommend the deluxe edition of Who's Next for anyone who doesn't have it. So many great bonus tracks on that, Pure and Easy and Water in particular.

O.M.G. P&E

i'd lost contact with my Super Super Who fan acquaintance so didn't know about Lifehouse OR Pure and Easy before that NYT article and until P&E was released on Odds & Sods in 74.

P&E was part of The Lifehouse concept and snipped in at the end of The Song Is Over.

WHen I saw them at Forrest Hills Stadium.... 71 WN Tour

P&E was the 2nd song and having loved TSIO I caught the reference right away and was after the song....WHAT wasTHAT!!!???!!! :swooooon: :lol:
Because it wasn't on WN!

Dazzled, I'm glad you started this thread, I enjoy reading your remembrances. :)

I've always liked The Who, but I've gone through this giant resurgence over the past 5 - 10 years, and they're probably currently my 3rd or 4th favourite band, depending on the day.

I totally get people who say they're not The Who live, anymore. But it's not like they've hired random street musicians to fill in for Keith and John. Zak Starkey* and Pino Palladino are fine musicians, they do an admirable job, and the current Who's touring act still kicks the ass of 98% of bands out there now. They captivate audiences and hold them in the palms of their hand. They've still got it live, and anyone who says they don't is full of shit.

I think someone earlier brought up their year before ticket sales for the upcoming tour. I was a little pissed about that, but not pissed enough to decline. I grudgingly bought my tickets 364 days before the concert date. I'm excited though - I've seen the past two tours (my first Who shows ever) from the cheap seats. This time, I've got row 15 floors. Can't wait.

I'm pretty sure there are complete shows from the 2012/13's Quadrophenia and More Tour on You Tube. Well worth a watch. For all the miles and style of singing that Daltry has on his vocal cords, he still does remarkably well live.

*fun fact - Keith Moon was Zak's godfather, and gave him his first drum kit. Ringo wanted him to be a doctor, or some-such.

:hyper: VP!
I was wondering when you'd find this thread! :lol::hug:

OH wow Row 15 :hyper: you're gonna love it!

In the Latest RS Pete has an interview and sez Roge is doing real good on the singing. :applaud:

Yeah I should def check out the Quad 12/13 tour on YT!

Me and my sis saw Roger singing Tommy back in 2011? SImon T was on guitar and maybe Zak was on droooms.

Yeah like :lol: Pete & Roge didn't just pull any ole musians off the street :lol:

thanks for mentioning my rememberences! :hug:

HERE's THe 1969 Filmore East Tommy one!

Well my dad was not to let me and a friend go down to The East Village at night (I was 16) :lol: so he drove us there and stayed in a cafe.

They played several shows that time in Oct.

We were up in the middle of the Upper Balcony. But at least we were there!

They had this tall black panel with open 3 joined Hexagonal to show a screen behind it. The joshua light show might have be doing the images.

Finally the lights go down. The stage glitterd blck with the "silver" of the mike stands, drum kit etc.

They come on start and the lights go into wonderful powerful color spots etc. At one point roger was light up half & Half like a psychedelic poster with Entwhistle's Green lights and Pete's Red lights

Roger was wearing the same or similar pale, pale beige fringed jacket w beads AS in Woodstock. Pete was wearing mostly white Either the White Jumpsuit ala WS, or ehile overalls and a light colored shirt. John had some black sparkly jacket on i think ( I don't know were my noted on this are tho i saw them a few months back ) Keith either white it read T-shirt.

They started I think with a few classics. Then went into Tommy which most of us were waiting with serious anticipation!
Oh, it was sooo cool and fiery. They just tore into it
and sounded so powerful and more quiet wen called for. Sparks...amazing to hear live!

ANd the mini-tale of "There's a Doctor Ive Found" w "Go to the Mirror Boy".

Holiday Camp they put a round spinning set of lights with two streamers of on the panel.

At he Finally it goes all black after the "disciples" reject Tommy then there's a single low (I think red) light on roger as he begins the last rounds of See Me Feel Me..." as slowly lights up brighter. WOW!

Then 1 or 2 more classics with My Generation in there BUT somewhere in the longer instrumental live versions of My Gen a song I hadn't heard before emerged--
it was Naked Eye WHoah just pinned down with intensity of it and fabulous music with it's own instrumental sections and the Mystery of WHAT is THIS!!!!? ?!

ANd a few weeks later I got to borrow from my SUper Super WHo fan a tape of one of the Shows which I "air taped" onto my uncles Big Tape recorder an ventually got it on to a cassette for me. :hyper:

OH course it's not so good sounding :lol:

But it i a record of those shows and I think i still hve!

Pino Palladino is a phenomenal bass player. He did an incredible job with John Mayer Trio, especially on Wait Until Tomorrow. :up:

I forgot John Mayer ever had that band, now that he's assumed his redneck balladeer persona.

:hmm: i know wiki isn't always the most accurate

but it seems Psychoderilect by Pete probably doesn't have any lifehouse songs in it not sure didn't throughly check it tho I thot at some point fairly way back he said LH partly morphed into PD :shrug: :)

But i found LifeHouse Chronicles pt 3 on YT :D

Back
Top Bottom