The WHO! 50th (approx lol) Year Anniversary - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 PM
The WHO! 50th (approx lol) Year Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I have never been a fan of their earlier 60s sound, I've never been a fan of that light pop style in general, whether it be The Who or The Beatles (Rubber Soul is the earliest Beatles album I've heard in full) or whoever. It just does absolutely nothing for me, which is why I find Who Sell Out to be hit-and-miss.

Who's Next and Quadrophenia are both fucking amazing though. Baba O'Riley is absolutely one of the best songs ever.

You should give A Hard Day's Night a shot. I felt very similar until I heard the three-part harmonies on If I Fell.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
I'd also highly recommend the deluxe edition of Who's Next for anyone who doesn't have it. So many great bonus tracks on that, Pure and Easy and Water in particular.
Agreed. I have the deluxe version too and the bonus tracks are excellent.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Tommy is the quintessential album where the concept comes at the expense of the music. Quadrophenia is an improvement in every way and a tremendous all-around record.

Aside from Quadrophenia, The Who are more of a singles band, I think. Those early ones in compilation make for a stellar pop record.

can't say I agree w u about Tommy but i think Quad has even more great songs on it, and more variety

Who's Next is the remains of a Concept Album
If you know don't know "The Lifehouse" story ....
a SF-ish film/a series of live performances in the same PLace concept
that Pete cooked up and it fell part drastically a bunch of the songs
on WHo's Next were from that

MY Favorite version of "Lifehouse" was the one outlined in a NY Times article back in 70 I think the title was " From Tommy To Bobby" .
Quite captivated by it

Pete would change parts of it and I have finally remembered (not done it yet) to look up on YT "Psycho Derelict" which was a ? 4 album output by Pete which incorporated alot of Lifehouse.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
I liked Tommy a lot when I was a kid. I still like some things on it, but when compared with Quadrophenia it's not even close. In terms of cohesive double album rock opera type things, Tommy is like The Wall to me: overrated, loaded with filler, and hardly something I feel the need to listen to. Quadrophenia, however, that one is my 2nd favorite album by any band ever. Love that one in its entirety, obviously that makes it my favorite album of theirs.

Whenever a discussion on ...by numbers has gone down in an RMT thread, I've always taken the side of it being a really good album. Now, I don't know how to stack that against the early stuff at all. As an album, I'll take The Who By Numbers over The Who Sell Out in a heart beat. But those early singles? It really doesn't get much better than a lot of those songs. Not now, not ever. I Can't Explain (one of my favorite songs ever btw), The Kids Are Alright, Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere, I'm a Boy, etc. Classics for a reason. And it goes without saying that those last two Keith Moon-less albums don't get to be included in the conversation when talking about the rest of their catalog (same goes with Endless Wire. I keep forgetting it even exists). I do find It's Hard to be absolutely listenable, and a decent album. But damn that thing sounds dated in a way that the even older material does not. Who's Next has great songs. But it's like Born in the USA, a collection of good songs and not really an awesome album. I do have a nostalgia-clouded great memory of hearing "Won't get Fooled Again" for the first time, but this is clearly tl;dr already. And it apparently does not matter how many times I listen to "Baba O'Riley," it is virtually impossible for me to tire of that song.

I fucking hate Magic Bus.

Oh i like MB... don't love it... but it was fun live!

I had to leave 250 Vinyl records behind from a move back in 2000 - among them my WHo Albums
I had WN on Tape, if i had quad on tape it might gotten lost in a 2nd move
One of those days i'll get it on CD

and SOMEWHERE my copy of the extended WN CD is hiding
Old 04-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I have never been a fan of their earlier 60s sound, I've never been a fan of that light pop style in general, whether it be The Who or The Beatles (Rubber Soul is the earliest Beatles album I've heard in full) or whoever. It just does absolutely nothing for me, which is why I find Who Sell Out to be hit-and-miss.

Who's Next and Quadrophenia are both fucking amazing though. Baba O'Riley is absolutely one of the best songs ever.
Some of the Beatles and The Who's "light pop" is wonderful
but I love much after that.

And ... I'd call it Pop, period. Some of the greatest songs are in Pop. But notice I said "some" many more in various Rock category.
I think I prefer the Beatles Pop to The Who's in general.

I came sing some of those Beatles song's from the first album up through
AHDN...like a Jukebox hit the first few notes off i go even after 5 decades. But i can do a lot o that for my other fave 4 bands as well.

Although what would you consider to be the different at least in some
pop & rock songs. Seems some over lap.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'd also highly recommend the deluxe edition of Who's Next for anyone who doesn't have it. So many great bonus tracks on that, Pure and Easy and Water in particular.
O.M.G. P&E

i'd lost contact with my Super Super Who fan acquaintance so didn't know about Lifehouse OR Pure and Easy before that NYT article and until P&E was released on Odds & Sods in 74.

P&E was part of The Lifehouse concept and snipped in at the end of The Song Is Over.

WHen I saw them at Forrest Hills Stadium.... 71 WN Tour

P&E was the 2nd song and having loved TSIO I caught the reference right away and was after the song....WHAT wasTHAT!!!???!!! :swooooon:
Because it wasn't on WN!
Old 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
You should give A Hard Day's Night a shot. I felt very similar until I heard the three-part harmonies on If I Fell.
w000t! Such great stuff! IIF is great, but i love Tell Me Why even more.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Dazzled, I'm glad you started this thread, I enjoy reading your remembrances.

I've always liked The Who, but I've gone through this giant resurgence over the past 5 - 10 years, and they're probably currently my 3rd or 4th favourite band, depending on the day.

I totally get people who say they're not The Who live, anymore. But it's not like they've hired random street musicians to fill in for Keith and John. Zak Starkey* and Pino Palladino are fine musicians, they do an admirable job, and the current Who's touring act still kicks the ass of 98% of bands out there now. They captivate audiences and hold them in the palms of their hand. They've still got it live, and anyone who says they don't is full of shit.

I think someone earlier brought up their year before ticket sales for the upcoming tour. I was a little pissed about that, but not pissed enough to decline. I grudgingly bought my tickets 364 days before the concert date. I'm excited though - I've seen the past two tours (my first Who shows ever) from the cheap seats. This time, I've got row 15 floors. Can't wait.

I'm pretty sure there are complete shows from the 2012/13's Quadrophenia and More Tour on You Tube. Well worth a watch. For all the miles and style of singing that Daltry has on his vocal cords, he still does remarkably well live.

*fun fact - Keith Moon was Zak's godfather, and gave him his first drum kit. Ringo wanted him to be a doctor, or some-such.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

VP!
I was wondering when you'd find this thread!

OH wow Row 15 you're gonna love it!

In the Latest RS Pete has an interview and sez Roge is doing real good on the singing.

Yeah I should def check out the Quad 12/13 tour on YT!

Me and my sis saw Roger singing Tommy back in 2011? SImon T was on guitar and maybe Zak was on droooms.

Yeah like Pete & Roge didn't just pull any ole musians off the street

thanks for mentioning my rememberences!

HERE's THe 1969 Filmore East Tommy one!

Well my dad was not to let me and a friend go down to The East Village at night (I was 16) so he drove us there and stayed in a cafe.

They played several shows that time in Oct.

We were up in the middle of the Upper Balcony. But at least we were there!

They had this tall black panel with open 3 joined Hexagonal to show a screen behind it. The joshua light show might have be doing the images.

Finally the lights go down. The stage glitterd blck with the "silver" of the mike stands, drum kit etc.

They come on start and the lights go into wonderful powerful color spots etc. At one point roger was light up half & Half like a psychedelic poster with Entwhistle's Green lights and Pete's Red lights

Roger was wearing the same or similar pale, pale beige fringed jacket w beads AS in Woodstock. Pete was wearing mostly white Either the White Jumpsuit ala WS, or ehile overalls and a light colored shirt. John had some black sparkly jacket on i think ( I don't know were my noted on this are tho i saw them a few months back ) Keith either white it read T-shirt.

They started I think with a few classics. Then went into Tommy which most of us were waiting with serious anticipation!
Oh, it was sooo cool and fiery. They just tore into it
and sounded so powerful and more quiet wen called for. Sparks...amazing to hear live!

ANd the mini-tale of "There's a Doctor Ive Found" w "Go to the Mirror Boy".

Holiday Camp they put a round spinning set of lights with two streamers of on the panel.

At he Finally it goes all black after the "disciples" reject Tommy then there's a single low (I think red) light on roger as he begins the last rounds of See Me Feel Me..." as slowly lights up brighter. WOW!

Then 1 or 2 more classics with My Generation in there BUT somewhere in the longer instrumental live versions of My Gen a song I hadn't heard before emerged--
it was Naked Eye WHoah just pinned down with intensity of it and fabulous music with it's own instrumental sections and the Mystery of WHAT is THIS!!!!? ?!

ANd a few weeks later I got to borrow from my SUper Super WHo fan a tape of one of the Shows which I "air taped" onto my uncles Big Tape recorder an ventually got it on to a cassette for me.

OH course it's not so good sounding

But it i a record of those shows and I think i still hve!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Pino Palladino is a phenomenal bass player. He did an incredible job with John Mayer Trio, especially on Wait Until Tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:07 PM
I forgot John Mayer ever had that band, now that he's assumed his redneck balladeer persona.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:50 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah that's about when I stopped listening to John Mayer too.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
I forgot John Mayer ever had that band, now that he's assumed his redneck balladeer persona.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

i know wiki isn't always the most accurate

but it seems Psychoderilect by Pete probably doesn't have any lifehouse songs in it not sure didn't throughly check it tho I thot at some point fairly way back he said LH partly morphed into PD

But i found LifeHouse Chronicles pt 3 on YT
Old 04-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

FIRST SHOW TONIGHT in Texas

Tags
the who