The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
inmyplace13 said:
Keep the change, you filthy animals.

I'm gonna give you to the count of 10, to get your lying, yellow, no-good keister off my property, before I pump your guts full of lead!

Lila64 said:
I almost didn't recognize you. Once you go black, you never go back :wink:

Yeah, going from Ferrell as Harry Caray to Sam Jackson as Jules is probably the biggest white to black switch is almost like Gwenyth Paltrow dumping Chris Martin for Ice-T on the White to Black Scale.

(I have to make Coldplay jokes when I can.)

We've received about 234 e-mails regarding the sorta-leak of the White Stripes' Icky Thump that happened last night--yesterday, a Chicago DJ named Electra played the record in its entirety, and some enterprising soul with a really crummy signal decided to tape it off of his radio and turn it into MP3s. (We've listened to them, and trust us: The songs are good, but unless you really, really want to get vaguely nauseated by the bottom-of-the-barrel fidelity of the files, you're best off passing on the links.)

Anyway, word of Icky Thump's escape from pre-release embargoland reached Jack White--who was all the way in Spain--pretty quickly, and instead of sending the Web Sheriff after Electra, he rang up the station. She recounted the tale on her blog:

At 4pm today, Jack White called Q101's main offices from Spain, where they're touring, looking specifically for me, to yell at ME for leaking the album and, in part, being "messed up for the entire (music) business." (Edit - I listened to the call again today, and I apologize for initially misquoting Jack.) I felt like I was going to throw up. Weirdest, most surreal conversation of my life.
Jack asked me to take responsibility for leaking the record, and asked if I was sorry for what I'd done. S&T both jumped into the call - I was clearly flustered - and backed me 100%. We tried to explain where we were coming from - someone gave us a copy of a record that we were really excited to play, and the whole experience was an hour-long lovefest for him and his band - but he wasn't having it. He hung up, very, very angry, and I thought I was going to cry. Instead, I drank some beers that the Fix had left in the studio. Room temperature Bud Light. Delicious.

After speaking to Jack's manager and getting their side of the story, Spike and I went on the air with S&T to open up the situation to the listeners. We respected Jack's desire not to be on the air and didn't re-air the call, but we talked about what was said and what happened. I'm extremely grateful to everyone who called in supporting us. I don't think I did anything wrong, and I don't think I am helping to ruin the music industry. I think I made people excited for the new White Stripes record. I know that was our intention.
A noble explanation, and really, one that may have flown in the pre-download era. But now? Considering that the radio-to-radio-rip process is lightning-fast, "enthusiasm" like Electra's is rarely contained to a moment in time, or even a geographical area. And the fact that the songs sound like they're coming out of a tin can probably makes the circulated leak even more annoying for White, who gave his recording process a slight upgrade on this album. (Who knows? Maybe the crummy fidelity will make people want to buy the record--okay, okay, we're being naive.)

So Does This Make Me A Pimp and a Prostitute Too? [electra: queen of snark, via Web Vomit]

They playing Live at Rock Am Ring Today aren't they?

Hopefully somebody will record itit, they're also on Later With Jools tonight.....

2 more weeks!! :drool:

I haven't heard the new album yet, but I DO know that if Meg White wants to ambush me with that witchy icky thump hat she can do it anytime :drool:

martha said:
She fucked up. She knew the record wasn't out yet, but she played it anyway.

I heard the entire thing yesterday afternoon. The producers from the radio station got on and even explained that even if Electra had denied playing the album, they would have done it around her. Everything comes from someone higher up. And they went through a list of other artists who's albums were leaked and played by other stations in the past. In today's day and age, it's just bound to happen. If a boss is telling you to do it or they're going to do it anyway, there's no way around it.
Yeah Electra had a choice between her job and playing the album, but seriously. How many of you out there would chose not to play it and walk away from a job?

The record companies can stop sending advance copies, or just send out the single. :shrug:

The record industry is hurting pretty bad, and people continue to download for free and share and think they are doing no wrong. I don't know what the answer is, but if someone knows, please tell me. I'd like to stay in business a bit longer. Obviously this is a discussion for another thread...

\endrant

phanan said:
DJs play albums before they come out all the time. It's not like an advance copy of the album won't be online anytime soon, cuz it will be.

Big deal.

Yeah, I remember radio stations playing "Pop" in its entirety back in the day before it was released. It was a cool experience. However, that was before songs could easily be recorded and posted on the Internet.

If anything, it's the record label's fault. You can't send a copy to a radio station prior to its release and not expect them to play it. I wouldn't even call it a "leak" — that occured when someone recorded it and posted it.

On the other hand, this could've been worse for the White Stripes. At least it was only recorded from the radio station, which probably ran station promos between each song and didn't produce the best sound quality. Nobody's going to want to let that be their only copy of the album.

My brother says that some of their stuff is just a Zepplin rip off? Is that the case? I must admit I can't be arsed with either band.

coemgen said:
At least it was only recorded from the radio station, which probably ran station promos between each song and didn't produce the best sound quality. Nobody's going to want to let that be their only copy of the album.

Agreed. For that reason alone, I haven't even bothered trying to listen yet.

roy said:
My brother says that some of their stuff is just a Zepplin rip off? Is that the case? I must admit I can't be arsed with either band.

I'm guessing just about anything today can be closely compared to something that has come before. It's tough to really be original anymore concerning rock 'n roll. But there is no denying Jack has his own style, and he kicks butt live.

Love the Icky Thump video, especially the subtitles:rockon:

roy said:

It think it fairly obvious that Jack models himself after Page, and at one point I believed those comparisons to be blasphemy. However, Jack can play a really mean riff, and he is wildly inventive- something of a modern-day version of Page. For these reasons, the comparisons are to some extent warranted; although in my opinion the Stripes are not of Zeppelin's caliber, they certainly are more than inferior imitators.

:( The new dates are depressing to me... Please, White Stripes, play DC, Baltimore, Philly, Pittsburgh at some point...:sad:

I would but I'm stuck on dial up.

I have 6 songs....and they're all pretty damn good. I'm going to stop listening to them now though, till the album is out.

ICKY THUMP!!!! :drool::rockon:

LEAKY THUMP
smielephantin7.gif

Screw waiting, I'm listening.

On OiNK. I'm sure that means it'll pop up on Demonoid in no time.

I'm almost done with my first pass through. If 'Rag & Bone' was a girl, I'd take it out for a nice seafood dinner and lovingly snuggle with it after a night of freaky, freaky intercourse.

Alright, I read on atease it's up on Demonoid, but I've been unable to even access that site right now.

I've got a send space link to the 320 kbps rip and a save file project for a 128 kbps rip I made for the girl I'm seeing. If anyone wants either of those, ask.

Back
Top Bottom