The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:
So.......................

Has anyone heard about "Meg's" recent "exploits"? :rolleyes:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-white-stripes/31346

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this is true, LemonMelon. In fact it could be dangerous to Meg. If she already has acute anxiety and everyone rushes to judgement on something that might not be true, it could damage her forever. She might never have the courage to go back on stage. So be careful everyone before you rush to judgement. :shrug:

I think that he was ridiculing the very suggestion that she is in the tape. Regardless, any attempt to insinuate her with such behavior is crass at best and quite reprehensible, especially during a period of personal difficulties.

Screwtape2 said:

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this is true, LemonMelon. In fact it could be dangerous to Meg. If she already has acute anxiety and everyone rushes to judgement on something that might not be true, it could damage her forever. She might never have the courage to go back on stage. So be careful everyone before you rush to judgement. :shrug:

I don't believe this is true at all. In fact, I have seen the video and personally, I think the girl looks more like Bjork circa 1994 or so. :shrug: Certainly not Meg. Plus, I would never think she would be the kind of person to leak something like this... :(

LemonMelon said:

I don't believe this is true at all. In fact, I have seen the video and personally, I think the girl looks more like Bjork circa 1994 or so. :shrug: Certainly not Meg. Plus, I would never think she would be the kind of person to leak something like this... :(

I wasn't suggesting you thought it was true. I was actually agreeing with you as in 'I wouldn't jump to that conclusion either, LemonMelon.' Sorry if you misunderstood and for not making that clear. :)

Screwtape2 said:

I wasn't suggesting you thought it was true. I was actually agreeing with you as in 'I wouldn't jump to that conclusion either, LemonMelon.' Sorry if you misunderstood and for not making that clear. :)

Oh, OK then. Very good. :D Sometimes sarcasm comes across poorly in written form, and that first post of mine was rather condescending.

I am a big Meg White fan, not just a fan of the band. I think she's a great drummer, has a sweet, quiet personality, quirky sense of humor, and yes, I do find her attractive. :wink: To see her going through all of this all at once really bothers me, and I sincerely hope she can keep her composure through it, tough as that may be.

cdisantis83 said:
...Regardless, any attempt to insinuate her with such behavior is crass at best and quite reprehensible, especially during a period of personal difficulties.

:up:

When things like this happen, the speculation and everything, I wonder if society hasn't completely gone down the toilet. It's such a non-story, but it's an accusation that can truly hurt someone (especially if that person is already hurting). I really hate how the entertainment industry treats people like cartoon characters...they're the ones who should be ashamed. :down:

On a more positive note, I thought this was rather cool: http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/31318 Jack and Bob Dylan. :drool: Youtube clip included.

from mtv.com...

Though they still haven't spoken in detail about the nervous condition affecting drummer Meg White which forced them abandon their world tour this summer, the White Stripes announced on their Web site that they've been in the studio and have cooked up some new tunes. The post reports that "the White Stripes have just filmed an exciting new video and recorded three never-before-heard original songs (with a special collaboration) and one unique new version of a song from their latest album, 'Icky Thump.' " No information was given about the release date of the new music or the debut of the video. ...

I like Elephant and Icky Thump.

Do you think I would like White Blood Cells and Get Behind Me Satan? Are they that much different from the two albums I have?

I like Get Behind Me Satan. Granted, that's the only White Stripes album I've heard in full, though (I heard some of Icky Thump when my family was at a pizza place one night-apparently the restaurant decided to play the entire album. I liked what I heard off it, though). So which would probably be worth checking out next for me, Elephant or White Blood Cells?

I feel bad for all the White Stripes fans who are unable to go see the band right now :(. Hope you get another chance down the line.

Angela

corianderstem said:
I like Elephant and Icky Thump.

Do you think I would like White Blood Cells and Get Behind Me Satan? Are they that much different from the two albums I have?

De Stijl is their 2nd best album for sure. GBMS is a great record too. White Blood Cells is one of their worst albums; a few standouts, but no flow or real consistency.

"White Blood Cells" is still my favourite White Stripes album. And I felt that "Elephant" was their most overrated effort and something of a minor disappointment, despite a few great individual tracks. At the time it left me wondering whether the band finally backed themselves into a corner with nowhere else to go.

I disagree on Elephant being overrated. That album has some outstanding tracks - Black Math, Seven Nation Army (I know, it's a little tiresome now but admit it, when it first came out :drool: ), Meg's In the Cold Cold Night, Ball and Biscuit :combust:, etc. I find it's my favorite behind White Blood Cells.

"De Stijl" is like some kind of lost early Led Zeppelin album, and that is definitely a positive thing. Jack pulls out some ferocious riffs on that album.

New music on the way! :hyper:

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio/cl-ca-white9dec09,0,3111065.story

The Stripes' new songs will come out on three 7-inch vinyl discs Dec. 18, two of them paired with the "Icky Thump" track "Conquest" and the third with an acoustic version of that mariachi-flavored remake of the '50s-era Patti Page hit. A digital package with all five tracks will also be released.

:hyper:

The article also mentions a new Raconteurs album and tour, possibly next year. :hyper:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I might have to pony up to see the Ranconteurs since there's a slim chance of seeing the Stripes anytime soon. :(

Not that big of a drop off, honestly. The Raconteurs were fantastic when I saw them last year. Not as good as the Stripes in 03, obviously, but still very good.

But yeah, I really want the Stripes to reschedule those dates already. I was cleaning out a drawer and found my tickets to their canceled, 2000+ person show at Stubb's from September. Very sad moment.

BonoManiac said:
I love the new song titles! "Honey, We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap." :lol:

That is good.

"Conquest" was one of the songs I remember hearing at the pizza place-I really liked that one (had no idea it was a cover). I still need to check out Icky Thump in full, shall try and do that as soon as possible. And thanks to everyone else for the recommendations, too, by the way.

Cool to hear that about the Raconteurs, too-only heard a couple songs by them, but I liked those, so I'll be interested to see what else they come up with. And here's hoping those of you who missed out on the White Stripes will get your chance again as soon as possible.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom