The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

I'm mostly just going for the hits, singles and well-known songs, but is there anything I missed? :slant:

BLACK MATH! :drool: I love the tempo changes in that one. You could also maybe add There's No Home For You Here. I'm kind of drifting off now, and my brain is shutting down...but those are great. I also love Little Acorns, but it's very weird, and not really hit material :wink:

:hmm: I think there's enough Elephant on it already (5 songs). :wink:

I completely forgot I'm Slowly Turning Into You, but I'd like to add one more...maybe something from De Stijl. (2 songs from that awesome album just isn't enough :drool: )

EDIT: I picked Hello Operator. :rockon:

Last edited:
1. Jimmy The Exploder
2. Stop Breaking Down
3. Hello Operator
4. Apple Blossom
5. Death Letter
6. Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground
7. Hotel Yorba
8. FILWAG
9. We're Gonna Be Friends
10. Seven Nation Army
11. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
12. In The Cold, Cold Night
13. Ball And Biscuit
14. The Hardest Button To Button
15. Blue Orchid
16. My Doorbell
17. The Denial Twist
18. Walking With A Ghost
19. Icky Thump
20. Rag And Bone
21. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
22. Effect & Cause

Seriously, this comp is going to amazing. The only song I really don't care for that made the cut is Blue Orchid ( :mad: ), but hey, many people love that song.

I'm doing this one for my trip to PA tomorrow, I hated cutting so many great album tracks.

1. Candy Cane Children
2. Jimmy the Exploder
3. The Big Three Killed My Baby
4. Sister, Do You Know My Name?
5. You're Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)
6. Hello Operator
7. Fell in Love With a Girl
8. We're Going to Be Friends
9. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
10. Hotel Yorba
11. Ball and Biscuit
12. I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself
13. The Hardest Button to Button
14. Seven Nation Army
15. Jolene (live)
16. My Doorbell
17. Take, Take, Take
18. Denial Twist
19. Blue Orchid
20. Rag and Bone
21. You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You're Told)
22. Icky Thump
23. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn/St. Andrew (This Battle is in the Air)
24. Bollweevil (live)

inmyplace13 said:
I just found out that the Stripes' ACL slot is going to be on Saturday. They also are having a show in Austin Sunday night at Stubb's, which is one of my favorite venues and probably one of the smaller places you could ever hope to see them.

Thing is, Bob Dylan is closing the festival that Sunday night. If I wanted to hit up that once in a lifetime Stripes aftershow, I'd miss Dylan. Decisions, decisions...

Well, the day finally came where that Stripes aftershow came on sale. I was awake about twenty minutes ago to prepare my computer and try my like.

Sure enough, I scored four tickets to a show that sold out in about three minutes. Life is good. Goodbye Bobby D, hello Meg.

This also helps for ACL Saturday since the Stripes and Arcade Fire are playing at opposite sides of the park at the same time. Now instead of splitting time between the two, I got to enjoy the entirety of Arcade Fire.

smielephantin7.gif

Thanks for the photo comments. I could have taken some better shots, but a mic was blocking Meg and some guy in front of me was waving his hands most of the time.

ntalwar said:

Excellent pics! Strangely enough, I think I like this one the best. :drool:

BonoManiac said:
New video for "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Cz_vlwSx4

Looks like it was shot up in Canada's North.

:rockon:

Did someone say CANADA'S NORTH? :rockon:

It actually looks a whole lot like Newfoundland, our Canadian province...but I'm sure it's probably elsewhere. Some other place pretending to be Newfoundland. :p

ICKY THUMMMMP!!!...just had to say it! :rockon:

I almost didn’t go to Birmingham on Monday. I read it on the White Stripes “Little Room” fan-board that Jack sounded sick on Sunday in South Carolina. I had to borrow $40 from my land-mate to make the bus-ticket. I had less than $3 in my bank account (and even though my monthly paycheck would be deposited at midnight, I feared that the hotel might reject my Visa debit card at check-in, just like in the movies when the star is suddenly destitute for whatever reason).

I was feeling just as my friend Kassi wrote recently on her myspace blog, saying it succinctly, surely, and sweetly: “i cannot afford my rock n roll lifestyle. but i also cannot afford not to live it.”

But we find the way to make it, no matter what, because the music pulls us in and pulls us to another rock and roll road trip, helpless addicts all of us—like the prostrate muslim during proper prayers or the worst crack-and-meth-afflicted-junky-ho.

So, I left the farm with my family and a flat tire in the trunk. We had to stop on the way to Nashville to repair the tire, and we almost didn’t make it downtown in time. The crowd in the bus station overflowed into the street. I had that awful moment of “What was I thinking?” But somehow, there were just enough seats on the bus. And I got to Birmingham just in time.

Checking into the hotel was without worry, but my “hard ticket,” allegedly being Fed-exed from the friendly publicist in New York was not waiting. A phone call and email later, I discovered that I would have the usual access at will-call after all. Within a short while after that, I’d connected with the amazing Anne from Houston and the fansite, and she’d agreed to give me a lift to the show. It turned into a carpool with Chris and Sandra from the Atlanta area. I love the serendipitous fan connections with folks who are willing to go into debt and sleep-deprivation and probably worse just to travel to a show.

On the way to and from Birmingham on the Greyhound, I read Let it Blurt—the amazing biography of rock writer Lester Bangs written by Jim DeRogatis. Since Lester, Jack White, and I all share some serious Detroit energy in common, I couldn’t help but wonder: “Would Lester Bangs like the White Stripes?” He certainly wouldn’t care for the fact that the band wrote a song for Coca-Cola, I mused. But the revival of the Detroit garage sound that the Stripes made famous and infamous still seems most insistently Bangsian.

But Janis and Jimi bless Google, someone had already posed the question. A blogospheric rock critic who claims to channel Kerouac and Bangs had already posed the problem in a sideways manner. (See http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/07/12/082244.php)

It began with a record review of Icky Thump that took the form of a fantasy involving the writer and Meg White (who can blame him, really). And them the comments raged with all things anti-Stripes and pro-Stripes and all things in between.

I tend to sympathize with the poster called “JC Mosquito” who wrote:

“Would Lester have liked the White Stripes? Hmm... historical (or hysterical) rewriting in the making - I'd say yes he would. He liked the Guess Who, he liked Metal Machine Music, and he took matters into his own hands when he started a band. He would've liked them becuse his sense of humour was right in tune with the lo-fi DIY Stripes' ethic.”

When my male-menopause-cum-midlife-crisis kicked in a few years ago and fully fueled my rock music fan obsessions, I felt blessed to find a burgeoning underground scene made even more palpable by the instant access provided to DIY by laptops and the internet. And almost with perfect synchronicity, while technology made everyone an engineer, a promoter, and producer, this same DIY ethos drove people away from the computer and back to more purely rootsy forms, which in part explains why so much of the old-time music scene is comprised of ex-punks.

So many bands keep me busy that it’s hard to think about just one. But the Stripes are one among the many.

angelordevil said:

Did someone say CANADA'S NORTH? :rockon:

It actually looks a whole lot like Newfoundland, our Canadian province...but I'm sure it's probably elsewhere. Some other place pretending to be Newfoundland. :p

ICKY THUMMMMP!!!...just had to say it! :rockon:

They filmed it in Nunavut, apparently. :sad: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/artic...t-know-what-love-is-you-just-do-as-youre-told

You know how you were saying at the show that you wished Jack and Meg could have arrived in Newfoundland to better weather? Well, thank goodness they didn't show up today! :ohmy: I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I imagine people could be riding in dories down Harbour Drive... Hope you're not flooded out too badly. :(

Awesome pictures, ntalwar! :drool: And nice review, Anu.

GibsonGirl said:
You know how you were saying at the show that you wished Jack and Meg could have arrived in Newfoundland to better weather? Well, thank goodness they didn't show up today! :ohmy: I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I imagine people could be riding in dories down Harbour Drive... Hope you're not flooded out too badly. :(

Still alive! It certainly was torrential. I'm fortunate that my apartment is way above ground. Last night, I had one of my windows open wide before it started pouring. When it began in a burst, my dog suddenly looked outside, then back at me, as if to say "You better close that." Hope you were okay today...careful on the roads if you're driving in the rain again. We can't afford to lose any talented new Canadians! :wink:

Here's a gallery of pics...the guy in frame 8 actually had to be rescued. :ohmy: Poor fella. I'll bet he was scared to death.
http://www.cbc.ca/photogallery/_can.../newfoundland/gallery_600/xml/gallery_600.xml

Just noticed this the other day, GG...your friend landed in Rolling Stone!! (or at least on their website). Pretty cool!
http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/15567235/random_notes_prince_slash_the_w/photo/3/large/

Also, another photo set has emerged from our show...

833443119_67dbfd5cbe.jpg

Rest of the set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephennorman/

I'd love to go back in a time machine and relive it all over...great show. :drool:

Thanks for the review, Anu...after seeing them, I'm definitely "Pro-Stripes." :wink:

My upcoming White Stripes show has a date change and was moved up by a whole month. Now I don't have to wait as long. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom